Monsieur Carven (1978)

PerfumerRaymond Chaillan
PackagingJacques Bocquet
Parent CompanyArco International

About Monsieur Carven

Monsieur Carven is a masculine fragrance by Carven. The scent was launched in 1978 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Raymond Chaillan. The bottle was designed by Jacques Bocquet

Monsieur Carven fragrance notes

Reviews of Monsieur Carven

A fine, dry and refined fougere which has a warm heart of woods and spicy notes, the most prominent of which is cinnamon, with a classical leathery base and the merest hint of smooth civet. A 'dressed-up'and mature scent which is not dated in the slightest. Very classy and 42 years after its release, Monsieur Carven proves to be timeless, much like Lanvin Pour Homme which came out a year later in 1979.
08th January, 2020
LiveJazz said everything. This is STUNNING, beautiful. Mandatory for serious perfumistas. To the hall of fame!
22nd June, 2019
Monsieur Carven is a delight. Compared to what I was expecting, the opening does not feature a classic sharp citric-type "gentleman's" opening, but is immediately spicy. I particularly detect a strong cinnamon/clove/carnation accord (somewhat like Equipage, but less green, or perhaps closer to the original Opium) that carries through most of the scent's evolution. It's buttressed by aldehydes and light/smooth citrus and undefined floral accents.

The evolution from there is exquisite, with dusty/dry vetiver and smooth woods mingling with a friendly light leather/powder/musk base, typical of many semi-powdery barbershop fougeres, but done with absolute grace.

Easy to come by vintage bottles at reasonable prices. If you have any interest in spicy scents or smooth barbershop fougeres, this should be near the top of your list to try out.
13th March, 2019
Classic smelling barbershop fragrance. I was surprised that it was only 40 years old...it smells more like the 50's or 60's. Moss, Neroli, Sandalwood. I may wear this in the autumn, or at a more formal event. Dry-down is a bit more powdery than I like.
12th July, 2017 (last edited: 14th July, 2017)
The sample of Monsieur Carven I have is vintage goodness. It has a shaving cream smell to me, which I like. From the listed notes, cinnamon and moss sound right to me, although I hadn't placed cinnamon before reading the notes; it's subtly mixed in.
15th June, 2017
The cologne of a bygone era, it’s a rare scent to encounter in our modern world. Warm and sultry makes it perfect for the winter but too overpowering for a hot summer. I am able to pick up on vetiver and leather with carnation and indian spices. Vaguely similar to Egoiste, but without Egoiste’s pukey scent. A classic.
06th November, 2016

Add your review of Monsieur Carven

Shop for Monsieur Carven products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Monsieur Carven

There are no member images of Monsieur Carven yet. Why not be the first?