Monsieur de Givenchy (1959)
by Givenchy

Monsieur de Givenchy information

Year of Launch1959

HouseGivenchy
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Monsieur de Givenchy

Givenchy's original masculine fragrance is a rich citrus fragrance.

Monsieur de Givenchy fragrance notes

Reviews of Monsieur de Givenchy

Note: Review is of the vintage version.

A splendid classic textbook citrus chypre. Very traditional opening of brisk lemon and tart bergamot finely interwoven with lavender, on a dry-down of oakmoss and sandalwood. Elegant, refined, subtle, abstract, and uncomplicated. Wears close to skin with reasonable duration for this style of perfume. Just as good as Chanel pour Monsieur or Eau Sauvage, if not better.

4.5/5
20th July, 2021
There are three legendary masculines citrus chypres, Pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage and Monsieur de Givenchy. They are also the three best ones in my opinion. I love Eau Sauvage the most, in part because I was introduced to it in my early teens when all I knew about perfumes where my mother's Number 5, 19 and Arpege. Men around me where not wearing anything, they were hippies that smelled of hearth, hay and sweat, often weed. An antique dealer friend of the family went and fetched it to me as fragrances where discussed and said this is what you need and want. I loved it, the bottle, everything and it became my lifelong signature (before basenotes). I favor it also because of the hedione wash giving it a whimsical, bohemian vaguely mysterious feel.

Monsieur de Givenchy is just as good perhaps better even, it's exactly balanced, longer lasting, perfect. More rooted, more conservative and dependable in a way, classical. And it smells incredible.

Vintage wrap around label
29th May, 2021
Fresh/tart bergamot and verbena combo in the top, shortly followed by a sweet lemon supported by lavender probably supported by a hint of incense or benzoin. In the base, the lavender leaves, the lemon tones down and leaves the front stage to a slightly smoky moss, and a hint of woods (vetiver for sure, possibly cedar also) and spices (coriander? pepper? a micro dose of cumin maybe? or is it the civet?)
Overall a simple citrus fragrance, that will unveil a controlled complexity during the journey. Performance is not its strength, since it results being closer to an EDC than an EDT from that point of view, but that is not what is expected here anyways. Powdery? Yes, probably with some benzoin involved in it, providing also some sweetness. Soapy? Also a bit, but 'powdery' is the term that fits better, imo.
How to describe it? I would say it's a mix of Eau de Guerlain and AdP Colonia, with a drop of Jicky in the base. It's classic without being dated, it's elegant without being boring, it's gentleman-y without being macho. It might not tick the uniqueness box, but it fits for sure the image of the house: It's very Givenchy.
If if a masterpiece in terms of smell, it'll only get a 4/5 mark in view of its abysmal performance.
Warm to hot days, 30+
27th May, 2021
Monsieur de Givenchy (2020 edition) is still classic without being dated, clean, and elegant. It is very much the brother to Chanel's Pour Monsieur EDT. It would work well as a signature scent. It's not a projection monster and for me that's a good thing. It's for the man who wants to smell good for himself and those close to him without blasting out his smell to people in the next zip code.
13th April, 2020
This fragrance is reminiscent of such an innocent and elegant time in my life. Monsieur de Givenchy was my coming of age scent, before the social revolution of the late sixties, early seventies, changed all concepts of sophistication. I guess young people today may call it the “Mad Men” era, but to me it was just life growing up in New York City. A suit was a necessity going out in the city, and Pierre Cardin, Rogers Peet, and J. Press were my haberdashers. Picking up my girlfriend on 54th Street and drinking Whiskey Sours at The Top of The Sixes were accompanied by Monsieur de Givenchy, and although the new formula is a ghost of the class of the original scent, my memory can still revert back to my teens, and the hopes and dreams of the baby boomer generation. Who knew what social change lay ahead? History remains the past, but a fragrance can bring the past into the present. Monsieur de Givenchy is a scentimental journey back to thin silk ties, Weejen Cordovan penny loafers, cuffed pants, camel hair coats, and tab collars. Life was going to be grand.
16th August, 2018
A nice lemon soapy citrus to start which is followed by lavender and pepper. As time goes by you get a subtle hint of civet which adds character to the scent. I can also pick up woods and subtle floral's.

A lovely discreet gentlemen's cologne that has class and character!
03rd February, 2018