No. 89 (1951)

No. 89 information

Year of Launch1951

HouseFloris

About No. 89

A quintessentially English fragrance, the traditional gentlemen's choice. No. 89 for men is synonymous with suave and is in fact the preference of James Bond himself.

No. 89 fragrance notes

Reviews of No. 89

FLORIS – No. 89 (1951)

Floris’ No. 89 begins very much like its classic No. 127 with bursts of neroli and petitgrain. This is not surprising, since they share eight notes in the top and heart with nutmeg being the only addition in 89. The base notes in 127 are only two: musk and patchouli, wherein 89’s base notes are more complexly woody.

The nutmeg pretty well takes over from the citrus blast, which fades quickly. This turns 89 into a dry, dusty, quiet scent. As it settles into the base, we are basically left with the cedar and sandalwood supporting the nutmeg. I get no oak moss or vetiver impressions and the rose and ylang are indecipherable to my nose.

Overall then, this is a dry and quiet scent, dusty and woody and rather unremarkable.
25th June, 2020
Swanky Show all reviews
No. 89 attends the class reunion with Jean Nate Concentrated Cologne, Eau Sauvage, and other supercharged eaux de cologne, sharing their perfumey citrus and soap substructure. Floris's rendition is more discreet and somewhat shorter lived than some others in the this class.
02nd February, 2020
ad_scott Show all reviews
This is nice, different, a regal-type of fragrance. To my nose: rose, wood and a touch of soap powder. To use for special occasions in a suit and tie.
19th January, 2020
The real James Bond would never have worn this. Sean Connery? Not on your life. This is quite strong Pot Poury. Dandy old man stuff. Close to a wash off.
Snap with photofinish's review.
Fragrance : 5.5/10
Projection: 7/10 (unfortunately)
Longevity : 7/10 ('')
02nd August, 2019
I'm having a little trouble characterising this as a cologne. I tend to find that Floris, as with Trumpers, Truefitt and the other prominent English requisite companies, make things in a house style with definite commonalities among the various lines. This, though, I see no real way of comparing with something like, say, Elite.

89 has a musky, dusty rose and nutmeg opening with very brief citrus. There is a progression of sorts but not a "wide" kind of transition, if that makes sense. It's more the kind of fragrance where it's good enough to move through the gears but where the envelope is rather narrow. For that reason, it comes over as rather quiet on my skin and without the performance benefits of something such as Pour Monsieur, which should be an obvious comparison via the nutmeg. Some woods join the mix later on but the rose and nutmeg never depart.

If that all makes it sound like I'm not keen - not a bit of it. 89 is very likeable, not to mention 007-approved, and masculine enough to deserve that designation although I don't see why women shouldn't also enjoy it. It's not full of colour but rather, in my experience, a staid and satisfying scent of good quality. And if you don't fancy paying retail, there are currently some great deals on Ebay and the like. I do wonder, though, how it would win a head-to-head against any of my existing wardrobe for most purposes.
17th April, 2018
Oviatt Show all reviews
I have been a pushover for Floris ever since I entered their premises for the first time, which was long, long ago (Jimmy had just handed the gavel to Maggie that very year….). They have some really good scents but more than that, they have character and stamina and charm. Well-made and… well, very British. Now, of course, Floris is pushing boundaries and making a new heritage for themselves; back then, they were just as pleased as Punch with the status quo. Squarely in the middle of that is No. 89. Launched in 1951, it is perfectly in sync with its time—a nod to the past, a hope for a better tomorrow and—hopefully, a return to business as usual (remember, there was still rationing in England as late as 1954). The fact that it became Ian Fleming’s favorite scent didn’t hurt….. One of the few scents that I could imagine both Anthony Eden and Anthony Armstrong-Jones wearing. And Quentin Crisp, for that matter.
Floris No. 89 has a soapy, eau de cologne/Neroli opening that smells as if you had just bathed with 4711 soap. How reassuring that must have seemed to a generation for whom simple things like soap and hot water were a luxury. Luxury? Do you want luxury? As if on cue, a luxurious note of roses and nutmeg enters the scene, reminding us that glamour is not just in the purview of the ladies. Before you can say ponce, the manly woods and grasses bring the whole thing home, safe as houses. Old school? Oh, yes. I feel a glass of port coming on even as we speak. For a younger man who wants to get his Jermyn Street rocks off, this would be just the thing. For the rest of us, this is a clean, discretely luxurious classic scent that speaks to the pinstriped spycatcher in all of us. And don’t fool yourself—he is there within us all. And he is wearing Floris No. 89.
27th September, 2016

Add your review of No. 89

Shop for No. 89 products online

Shop for No. 89 at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of No. 89

There are no member images of No. 89 yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to No. 89