Oscar de la Renta pour Lui (1981)
by Oscar de la Renta

About Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

FIFI award winner in 1981

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui fragrance notes

Reviews of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

This is a nice fragrance. I've had moments when I could fully embrace and appreciate it. Other times, it makes me think of a car air freshener. But then again, maybe a cool car air freshener.

It falls a little short, for my tastes, for something I would want to wear often.

At the same time, it's too haunting and immersive for a neutral.
28th March, 2020
Vintage formula tested.

A blast of light cinimmon dominates the opening, but not a foody type. An un-powdery powder note carries the opening through the drydown, picking up other scents along the way. This powder is not the dandy-like barbershop type of powder from the likes of Tiffany for Men or Dunhill Edition, but more masculine and rough around the edges.

Beast-mode projection on just 3 sprays, all-day longevity and then some, this was well worth the price of admission.

Great scent, great quality, great ingredients.

9.0/10
21st March, 2020
There is something very dark blue about this fragrance, and it's not just the glass of the bottle.

It smells like the color Indigo to me, maybe indigo velvet. Yes, this is a leather scent, but theres something dark, fruity and rich about it. This one is much more than the sum of its parts! To see the note pyramid, it's kind of hard to believe those things equal THIS scent. It's just really well blended. I have experienced scents where I can tell "ah, that's heliotrope". Not here. It smells like itself rather than its ingredients.

It's an extremely unique scent that is difficult to describe in words. Whatever it is, I think it's a masterpiece.
25th January, 2020
Smells great, but did it really come out in 1981? I remember smelling this on a coworker in 1980 and complimenting him on it. Nevertheless, I love it. Has anyone smelled or tested the new Oscar Pour Lui Fresh?
28th May, 2019
Note: Review is of the current version.

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui is a venerable 80s powerhouse scent, but I have no idea how it was in the 80s or the later decades. I'm only familiar with the most current version. I can understand the cordial reception it garners among perfume lovers, but it leaves me unaffected personally. This is a herbal leather scent with a dry down of woods (and a touch of moss in this version), in the same neighbourhoods as Antaeus or Derby (but not as nuanced or sophisticated). I love Antaeus and vintage Derby, but the trouble with Pour Lui is that I find this particular blend of herbs a little disagreeable. It is very similar to the herbal accord in One Man Show. I find little similarities with vintage Patou pour Homme. I do not notice much spice, and the dry down is less herbal and more leathery-woody. I found both sillage and duration to be around average based on a moderate application.

I love earlier leather scents, because apart from being (generally) well crafted, they are also very versatile and can be dressed up or down, not to add that a certain retro appeal adds to the charm. In this case, however, I'd pass on Pour Lui for something like Antaeus which is smoother, more sophisticated and also lasts longer when comparing the current versions. Around similar priced fragrances, I prefer Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (similar leather scent but with a touch of rose, and more crisp/fresh, and a different herbal blend) or Bogart Signature (more understated, but crisp and refined). In the case of Pour Lui, I'm curious if I'd have a very different opinion if I tried the vintage.

P.S. I also have Oscar de la Renta pour Lui Fresh, which isn't listed on Basenotes or Fragrantica. This one seems to be a recent release. It is sort of a fuzzier version of Bleu de Chanel EdT, and doesn't smell anything like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui.
25th March, 2019
So, I've got a 2013-bottle of this glorious green, floral, mossy, leathery and very manly nectar (yes that's excactly how the 2013 edition smells like!) and I LOVE it.
And when that edition smells this good, I can just imagine how damn fine the vintage must be...

Al Pacino in a bottle! The hunt begins...
14th December, 2018

Add your review of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

Shop for Oscar de la Renta pour Lui products online

Shop for Oscar de la Renta pour Lui at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

There are no member images of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui yet. Why not be the first?