Oscar for Men (2000)

Year of Launch2000

HouseOscar de la Renta
Parent Company at launchPinault-Printemps-Redoute > Gucci Group > YSL Beaute

About Oscar for Men

Oscar for Men is a masculine fragrance by Oscar de la Renta. The scent was launched in 2000

Oscar for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Oscar for Men

TLDR: OK (2.75/5). A scent with a lemon pepper seasoning opening that is rescued from absolute unpleasantness by some reasonably enjoyable floral notes and decent vaguely musky base.

I recently decided to become reacquainted with this fragrance's Pour Lui brand-sibling and was surprised when this fragrance arrived in the box with the Pour Lui.

Oscar for Men is a little (below average projection, minimal sillage and moderate longevity) nothing of a scent.

The opening, with its mix of citrus and black pepper is reminiscent of the smell of lemon pepper seasoning, which is OK, I guess, but not especially something I want to smell like. The florals in the heart smell nice. The rose and spices blend with a non-indolic, clean jasmine to produce a nice counterpart to the now citrus-free black pepper note (which persists into the dry down).

The base is an unconvincing leather accord with a hint of balsamic amber. There is a bit of musk in the far dry down as well.

Overall, this scent comes off as more than a little bit generic. It is not unpleasant, by any means, just simultaneously uninteresting and dated. Some folks must like it, or if would have slipped, unlamented, out of production, but I am decidedly uninterested in Oscar for Men.

I may try it again in hot weather to see if it becomes more interesting in different climate conditions. If so, I will update. For now, a very tepid neutral accompanied by the feeling that if I had actually parted with any money to get this fragrance, my opinion might easily be harsher.
16th April, 2021
Ifti Show all reviews
Not one to be a reformulation drag - but I think this has lost it somewhat.
As prior comments - made in France is the one to get. I have had 3 so far ( cause I like it a lot!) but they're the more recent made in USA ones. I get low projection and sillage. I.e doused myself today- yet I doubt ANYONE noticed!

Now that's outa the way...!

This is tidy - fresh spicy pepper, woody, floral.

All works together really well to form an accomplished and refined scent. Leaning toward being a spring summer scent as its not got weight. That's my grumble. It doesnt seem to be very potent - skin scent albeit a darn good one - very quickly. Sheer is one descriptive term that fits well. It does stick around though.

More astute noses will have given more clear comparison and analysis'. Yet I can say its pretty regular in my rotation. Solid.

Thumbs up as I've got either duds or new versions are whack(!) but I can see what it should be with appropriate projection and longevity.

Edit 2 10/2019:
Underestimated this.
Its a creeper - subtle yet strong in presence -
Recently got a Made in France version - its real good.
Musky, slightly spicy, woody and floral. Smooth bubbly.
And I fear its actually a good performer for cool crisp weather too. All round good stuff.
Does remind me of a more fleshed out version of Blenheim Bouqet - citrus pepper - with a cushion of musk and flora.
01st September, 2018 (last edited: 04th October, 2019)
Smelled like lemon bathroom cleaner and bleach mixed. I came for some pepper, which if I was being really generous could perhaps be recognised under all the under nose-searing chemical odours, but this one is cheap for a reason. I poured the bottle down the sink, and I didn't even like getting a whiff of it from the drain the following day.
15th May, 2017
I have a long history of buying and enjoying underappreciated cheapies, and as a pepper lover, I thought Oscar for Men would be right in my sweet spot.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be. The citrus and pepper opening (and really the entire evolution) feels harsh and chemical to me. I'm OK with dry and sharp scents, but it's a category where the composition really needs to be top notch.

If shortcuts are taken, what would otherwise be a bracing, pointed statement of resolutely masculine freshness, turns into whining dental drill of sharpness. And that, I'm afraid, sums up Oscar for Men.
21st March, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
Beautiful...
Spectacular citrus & pepper opening
Love the heart notes and how the intermingle so well
Basenotes are bold without being overpowering

For me this fragrance will definitely be in my fragrance wardrobe rotation
23rd February, 2017
A great scent... huge bang for your buck here. The only draw back is that both bottles that I have owned seem to seep / leak from the top... which makes the bottle slightly sticky. Over all the scent is great. Above average longevity and projection. Nice citrus start with some peppery notes and herbs with a sweet musky dry down. Online and in stores this is 20 dollars for 3.4 oz bottle. Enjoy!
27th May, 2016

Add your review of Oscar for Men

Shop for Oscar for Men products online

Shop for Oscar for Men at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Oscar for Men

There are no member images of Oscar for Men yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]