Pino Silvestre (1955)

HouseSilvestre
PerfumerLino Vidal
Parent CompanyMavive

About Pino Silvestre

Pino Silvestre is a masculine fragrance by Silvestre. The scent was launched in 1955 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Lino Vidal

Pino Silvestre fragrance notes

Reviews of Pino Silvestre

In one of Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther books, his detective hero is on the run and working as a concierge in an hotel on the French Riviera. It's still in the early years after WWII, and Bernie is penniless. One of his only luxuries is a bottle of Pino Silvestre that one of the guests left in their room. Bernie's a smart cop and smart about cologne too. Pino is the Old Spice of Italy. It's full of botanicals and more often I get hints of rosemary than any pine. But who's complaining? It can be had for pennies and has one of the best amber drydowns ever. It also has zero sillage, like many aftershaves, but at this price point, just re-apply. Get yourself the bodywash as well in the huge green plastic pine cone bottle and revel in it a bit. You don't have to tell anyone you're wearing Pino. Like Bernie, you can be a bit incognito and hold your cards close to your chest. Pino is something you wear for you. Which in the end is all that matters.
22nd February, 2020
Sampled from a recent (reformulated?) tester. Pino Silvestre opens with a bright, slightly camphorous lemon and herbal (thyme?) note, which transitions to more garden/kitchen herbs (rosemary?), then a dominant floral-lavender musk that remains rather jagged and piercing for the first half hour before it smoothes out and settles down, and a balanced lemon-herb-musk accord emerges. The lemon-lavender-herbs combination, along with the bright, jagged intensity of the opening, all create associations with cleaning products for the first half hour, after which the herbal-musk accord takes it in a more earthy, natural direction. While the bright lemon-thyme opening creates a loose impression of pine, I don’t detect any pine or coniferous notes for the rest of its run.

Although I was expecting to like this more than Agua Brava because of reviews saying the herbs made PS a more complex fragrance, I prefer the subtle handling of vetiver, musk, and woods in reformulated AB, which also has a bit better longevity. PS fades to skin scent in 1–2 hours. Perhaps the vintage version is more impressive . . .
16th February, 2020
Go to Italy, and you are bound to smell this on a few people. Yes, it smells like pine, and some more pine. However, the dry down brings on a plesant hint of spice and basil. not one of my favorites, and I rarley wear this during the summer, as it does remind me of Christmas time. Not a beast in projection, it's just right.
29th January, 2020
Definitely interesting to own as a reference piece and night time novelty. For some reason, despite not having a boozy note, this immediately reminds me of herbal licquers. My impression of the pine is that it's a nice, warm dark green.

To be honest I doubt I'll ever wear this our of the house. As much as I love herbal and green aspects normally, the medicinal, licquerish edge this has in my mind just isn't something I feel like I could rock in public.

Having said that, I really like it, I don't regret the purchase (particularly not for the price) and I think it's worth having a sniff. Thumbs up.
26th January, 2020
This is a traditional old school fragrance. Not for everyone. You have to let this grow on you to appreciate it. If you are not a fan of peppery pine scents with hints of wood and very little sweetness then this is not for you. It did take several years for me to actually like this juice. It is linear on my skin and lasts around 3 to 4 hours. For the price its a safe blind buy. Enjoy!
06th March, 2019
Ps... it’s a thyme bomb...
14th February, 2019

Add your review of Pino Silvestre

Shop for Pino Silvestre products online

Shop for Pino Silvestre at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Pino Silvestre

There are no member images of Pino Silvestre yet. Why not be the first?