Polo (1978)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchWarner Communications > Warner Cosmetics

About Polo

Ralph Laurens first male fragrance contains a very distinctive pine note.
The packaging and bottle are a forest-green colour.
FIFI award winner in 1979

Reviews of Polo

What can I say, I don't like Polo, never have. As I have continued exploring scents in the last few years I have learned to find great beauty in many that I didn't like originaly. (If you had put Kouros in my face 7 years ago I would have run out of the building for some fresh air, now my most worn). On paper I should love it, there's few classic 70s 80s fragrance I don't like, and this is a giant among them.I find it lacks any kind of flair and it puts me in a broodingly boring kind of mood. I like pine, I love moss, the culprit I suspect lies somewhere in the aromatic green notes, I can't point it out further as I lack the knowledge to elaborate in this case. The green in Polo conjures to me stagnant, cold, algae filled waters for some reason.
I will keep revisiting.

Vintage mini
28th May, 2020
One of the most iconic masculine fragrances ever created. An absolute joy to wear and one of the ultimate statement makers.

With Polo it's all about the pine. I think this is my favorite pine note ever. I also pick up on a fresh mint note. There is some dirty tobacco and spices with a touch of patchouli.

I remember the original juice from years back. I tried again around 2014 and it was pretty poor but surprisingly the most recent batches smell great. Doesn't quite hit the hights of the 80's & 90's but still very good and light years ahead much of the designer trash that is currently out there today.

Superb!!

21st December, 2019 (last edited: 02nd January, 2020)
There's nothing quite like Polo.

The Cosmair vintage version is a creation that would read entirely as "niche" were it not so familiar. It's a full-bodied aromatic experience, rich and spicy and deep and, in what makes Polo challenging for relatively younger folks like myself, dirty.

The current version (2019 and onwards) is definitely recognizable as Polo, and is a good step up from the formulation of a few years ago; it's lighter and cleaner, but the distinctive Polo DNA remains intact. The emphasis here is less on the earthy tobacco and leather and more on the green, coniferous elements, bringing the formula slightly more in line with today's tastes.
22nd August, 2019 (last edited: 23rd March, 2020)
Polo is one of the first fragrances I came to know very early in life. Since everyone around me was wearing it, this scent made quite an impression on my developing mind and has stayed with me my entire life.

I'm referring to a 60ml Cosmair edition which I recently purchased. The notorious Polo opening is indeed quite brash and I could see how someone could find it a bit unpleasant. But so many great fragrances open with notes that seem out of place until the fragrance settles on the skin.

What I find remarkable about Polo is how well all of the notes have been mixed in perfect proportions and harmony to create a vivid experience that few other scents ever produced achieve. I would say Polo is without a doubt one of the greatest scents ever created. A true masterpiece.

Polo is still widely available in 2019, though many prefer the vintages (produced by either Cosmair or Warner) which can be found on eBay. I will look forward to comparing/contrasting vintage Polo but haven't done so yet.

For people who aren't used to vintage powerhouses this could be an unpleasant experience because there are so many ingredients that have been banned or are simply unavailable in modern fragrance.

On how it wears: I don't find that Polo is compatible with warm weather, and I think more than 2 sprays could get you in trouble in a day & age where people are more sensitive to fragrance. The performance is spectacular and will stick around for a very long time on skin and clothing! It could be worn for either casual or formal occasions leaning on formal.

People will recognize this scent because it's still popular and worn by many people. I can safely say that Polo will appeal mostly to the mature male audience and that it might just be the very last scent you'd wear to try and be trendy!
17th March, 2019
When I'm watching a movie with my boyfriend, I like to spritz four different scents on me to sniff and compare while watching the action on screen. Last night I smellt Polo on my left wrist, Knize on my right, Opium on me left knee, and White Linen on my left (I'm bendy). While I already knew that I love the last three scents, I put on Polo only as contrast. I have never been that interested in Polo; we mainly got it for collector's reasons after having read Turin and seen it on discount somewhere. However, one day later, I'm again wearing it on my wrist and I am absolutely smitten with it. At first, it smells like the perfect platonic idea of a fresh pack of tobacco, stored in a wooden pine box, very darkly transcendent yet totally tangibly wet too. Then the pine and lavender start to mix in prominently and make it very sexy to me. I can't relate to all the comments limiting it to business contexts only - to me this is very alluring, soilish, and gothic. I now desperately want my boyfriend to wear it but he thinks it smells like decay. I see what he means, and I, too, smell the tomb/crypt; the borderline moldiness of a private library with bad air circulation that an old dude with lots of mental abysses reads dusty books in while sitting on an even older leather chair, obviously smoking tobacco from a pipe and never bothering to open the window. But, to be honest, this sounds alluring to me!
After a while the carnal/gothic wetness starts to fade, and the dry woods and lavender overtake, and I see more how people think it business.
09th February, 2019
I still have about 50% of a bottle from about '99-'00, but I think it's starting to turn. Great initial blast, great 4-6 hours after that, but then something smells off for the rest of the day....

I always loved this frag, even if my wife couldn't stand it! It covered up the way my car smelt in those days, when certain other people would ride in it.... :) better than ozium!

One whiff of this takes me back 20 years....oh the good 'ol days....
28th January, 2019

Add your review of Polo

Shop for Polo products online

Shop for Polo at online perfumeries

Search on eBay