Quorum (1982)

PerfumerSebastian Gomez
PackagingAndré Ricard
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group > Puig Fragrance & Personal Care

About Quorum

A classic scent from the Spanish Scent gurus.

Quorum fragrance notes

Reviews of Quorum

I am liking this one. The main smell-alike to me, after having worn it half a dozen times and feeling like it was reminding me of something that I couldn't place, is YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, but this is the far-superior version for my tastes. I also get some similarity to Havana and I have random thoughts while wearing it about Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Givenchy Xeryus, Giorgio VIP, and Bel Ami's pencil lead note.
11th May, 2020 (last edited: 26th May, 2020)
On to my second lifetime bottle of Quorum. The first I had, certainly more than 15 years ago, was a 100ml bottle and the type of seasonal present that clearly ticked the boxes of "it's aftershave" [sic] and "it's not that expensive". (Other scents that did this job over the years include Beckham Instinct and Cerruti 1881 Amber.) I definitely miss these random gifts from my late parents.

However, I do remember the Quorum of 2005 or so being an uncompromising beast and something that at the back of my mind made me doubt whether it was a good fit for office wear...anyone, in those days it was my only fragrance and so I got through the 100ml.

In recent times I was happy to pick up 30ml for a song in TK Maxx. The scent has the same melange of notes as before, as if Sebastian Gomez thought that he might as well just throw everything in that could be included in an aromatic fougere. The result is definitely masculine and fun in its way. But after a few hours it has died down to next to nothing. Quorum therefore achieves neutral in the face of victory. If you're not buying this hoping for an old-school powerhouse fougere, what exactly are you looking for?
06th April, 2020
I own a bottle of the original Quorum, so this review pertains to the original vintage formulation.

Quorum can be best described as a dressed-up "catch-all" late 70s/early 80s masculine. It takes a bunch of classic masculine tropes and puts them in a blender and sands off any rough edges, producing something that's fairly easy to wear (albeit a bit anonymous-feeling, since it lacks a signature accord or note).
31st December, 2019
Very synthetic. I don't have a clue how people can pick apart the top notes when first sprayed. I personally have had no success at all with this, in fact people wince once they catch a whiff.

I do however enjoy how it smells once it dies down hours later and I'm actually able to pick apart notes. It's warm, spicy, earthy and kinda sexy, but it's dated. I only wear it for my personal enjoyment when I know I won't be around anyone throughout the day. The bottles themselves look pretty cool too.
25th March, 2019
Current formula is a castrated synthetic dreck. That, plus crap! Unrecognizable, imo. The Industry has gone from quality to quantity starting some 15-20 years ago.
Ooh, and don't forget the idiots association for ruining all fragrances (or IFRA)...
I'm glad I've got a big "damage control"-box of pure essential oils including the Mother of them all: oakmoss!
Pure, concentrated, undiluted, thick, beautiful steam-distilled oakmoss oil...
Choke on that, Mr. IFRA man.

Sorry for the whiplashing.

Vtg Quorum: 10/10
Current Quorum: 2/10
09th April, 2018
Antonio Puig as a design house had hummed along for years under the merits of it's classic 1940 Agua Lavanda, which was a staple unisex lavender cologne pure and simple. Aqua Brava for men came along in 1968 and definitely made it's mark early on as an aromatic fougère with a flair for Mediterranean herbs, essentially being Spain's answer to Speidel's British Sterling from 1964. Carlos Benaim of Ralph Lauren Polo (1978) fame and later Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (1989) worked on this Aqua Brava sequel alongside longtime Puig perfumer Rosendo Mateu, which had worked on Agua Brava, Brummel (1975, and also which initially had US distribution under Williams), then later Sybaris (1988). Max Gavarry, who assisted Mateu with Brummel and designed Z-14 for Halston in 1976 also helped with Quorum, which meant 3 fairly prominent masculine perfumers on one creation! It's happened before of course, and one would think this should lead to an amazing scent profile, but in most cases it leads to the old saying of "Too many cooks". Does that apply here? Well, almost. Quorum is a good early 80's masculine, and a solid winner for fans of the style, greatly remembered and carried on with flankers over the years, but it isn't revolutionary. Instead, it's a composite of values that would seem conventional by the 80's, but a competent one that sold like hot cakes.

Quorum is also ironically named, as the word means "minimum number of members needed to validate a governing body/session of said body", and since we have a whopping 3 perfumers on one fragrance, it makes the way the juice smells seem all the more amusing. What we end up with here is mostly a direct splicing of ideas taken from the then-most-recent masculines from each perfumer in question. In this instance, I'm referring to bits of Aqua Brava created by Mateu, Polo by Benaim, and Z-14 by Gavarry; I can't say for certain it's 100% the intent, but if it was, then "Quorum" is truly the perfect name. Artemisia, caraway, bergamot, and lemon open this, establishing the connection to Aqua Brava right away, but in place of that older scent's clove and bay, Quorum brings us a very Polo-like mid section of pine flanked with patchouli, cyclamen, jasmine, carnation, and sandalwood; it most often is compared to Polo more so than the others, and the pine is likely the cause. The final woodsy transitional accord in the heart to the mossy base passes us through the "Halston phase" of the chimera-like scent until we reach a finish that's very reminiscent of Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (1978), with it's leather, amber, and oakmoss. Tobacco and olibdanum round out the scent to give it a crisper and drier finish than VC&APH's castoreum-fueled vibrato, but ultimately louder. 70's style with 80's projection, which alone might be a one-two knockout punch for the right guy in an autumnal setting. Longevity is all day, sillage is what you'd expect from an 80's fragrance for men, so be careful.

Quorum is an interesting but mildly superfluous experience for the guy who's smelled or owned all of the fragrances it references in it's pot luck construction, and the guy who smells Quorum first might feel like all of those others (with the exception of maybe Polo) are unnecessary if a bottle of this is already in hand. I personally think that peas and carrots are good whether mixed or separate, so I feel fine owning an 80's powerhouse that is a medly of late 60's and 70's greats, plus the very fragrances it combines as well, but in the name of pragmatism I declare this good work horse albeit derivative masculine for it's day. Puig must have opted out of playing the hyper-macho game alongside Chanel, Bogart, and YSL at the time, playing it safe with this offering instead of going deep on animalics until the late-arriving Sybaris reared it's animalic-stuffed head 6 years down the road. Maybe Quorum's amalgamated nature and panel of perfumers involved was part of the sales pitch to retailers? Who knows. Perfectly dapper and adequate for fans of green, mossy, and leathery gentleman's chypres of the 70's style, despite it's 1982 launch. Business-friendly but otherwise unfashonable in the 21st century, Puig moved Quorum downmarket and stripped out all the leather, carnation, and moss per IFRA regulations to make a much soapier scent, but it still continues to fly off Walmart and TJMaxx shelves to this day since it can be had for less than a meal Applebees. Pre-2011 is what you want for a proper image of Quorum, but any version will do if you're jonesing for the 80's and don't trust vintage bottles. Thumbs up.
23rd March, 2018 (last edited: 08th November, 2019)

Add your review of Quorum

Shop for Quorum products online

Shop for Quorum at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Quorum

There are no member images of Quorum yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Quorum