Sables (1985)

HouseAnnick Goutal
Parent CompanyAmore Pacific
Parent Company at launchAnnick Goutal

About Sables

Sables is a masculine fragrance by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1985

Reviews of Sables

rbaker Show all reviews
A review of the Eau de Toilette:

The opening blast reveals a good load of cinnamon, but also an immortelle that is rapidly growing in intensity. This one displays the typical spicy-curry aroma that will rule and dominate the whole development of this creation until the end, and is the sun of this olfactory solar system around which the other component circle like planets around its centre.

Let’s look an bit closer at these satellites passing the observer.

At the end of the opening the Mysore sandalwood is noticeable, but it never really goes beyond being a faint accompaniment of the immortelle until much later. A sweetish maple syrupy undertone support the cinnamon in attenuating the spices, albeit only to a limited extent. Other spicy touches come and go, like fenugreek and black (Indonesian) pepper.

During the last hours hits of smoked bacon strips make a brief appearance, as does a somewhat nonspecific black tea impression. A celery sidekick asteroid passes by too. More importantly, an ambery components becomes evident, a dark and rich amber, not without a touch of edge, but lacking the raw harshness I admire in Tom Ford’s Amber Absolute, for instance.

Eventually, the immortelle, now a weaker and more equal player, and flanked by the amber, an added vanilla impression, as well as residuals of the caramel, are the last notes of the night still standing.

I get strong sillage, splendid projection, and a stupendous longevity of fifteen hours on my skin.

This creation, apparently designed by Annick Goutal personally for her husband, is an immortelle-dominated autumnal scent, and whilst this flower tends to overwhelm and nigh suffocate its associates, there is enough underground development to make this an interesting and sufficiently variegated experience to satisfy. The performance is phenomenal. 3.25/5.
20th November, 2019
This is another perfume that has a name that I think is quite misleading. When I think of "sands" -- "sables" is the French word for "sands"-- I think of warm, dry, and thin. Sables is certainly warm, but it is thick and sensual. This fragrance is also something I think should be worn in cooler temps, as in the heat this would be stifling and cloying.

This is a strong and thick fragrance. It's very aromatic, and upon first whiff, I thought that licorice was a note in there, though it's just the cinnamon (and a nicely done cinnamon, at that) and tea giving the immortelle a bit of a kick. If you want a very crude description of this, it would be "spicy, aromatic, maple candy" It's like a very sweet barbershop/fougere. As far as immortelle goes, I can only take it in small doses, and Sables has immortelle in spades. I prefer the way immortelle was used in 1740 Marquis de Sade (2008) by Histoires de Parfums, though the "crotch note" (my term; not actually in the note list) made it something I wouldn't wear. As Sables dries down further, the sandalwood makes its presence more known and the immortelle is reduced to speaking loudly rather than shouting through a bullhorn.

This is a great scent for the kind of guy who digs old-school powerhouses from the '70s and '80s. It's not my style, as my nose is on the "sensitive" side and those heavy-duty scents are just too much for my taste. It's a solidly-done perfume, and for the right guy this could be a signature scent. It's just not my cup of tea, but I can't knock it on its quality or performance, both of which are very good.

Thumbs up, but not for me.
04th September, 2019
Sables doesn't evolve much on me. I get a smoky and warm mixture of immortelle, amber, cinnamon and sandalwood. Though in the end I decided that Sables is not what I would personally wear, I'm very impressed throughout the wearing. It has a sweet aspect but at the same time it's very masculine to my nose. I don't know why but the image evoked by Sables in my head is muscles and a mature man, lol. The longevity is around 10 hours and the sillage is good, one spray and I got a whiff or another frequently. Definitely a wonderful fragrance to at least give a try.
03rd January, 2019
Very 'French' mossy, tobacco-y mens fragrance with helichyrsum (everlasting) herb. It has an intriguing "burnt" or caramelised aspect, also recalling the smoothness of a scotch whisky (Islay single malt), and tonka bean absolute. I could imagine this coming from Robertet, the most famous of the Grasse supply houses. One of their long forgotten mens fragrances from the 1960's which they called "Vetuclub" (I don't know under what name it was ever marketed) had this same 'burnt sugar' note, which I thought was most peculiar at the time. Quite an evocative scent for me.
28th December, 2018
Immortelle (maple syrup) upon an amber base with mild spices. The immortelle is dominant most of the time but it's paired with a nice dry tea smell. The combination is interesting and I like the smell, but I'm not too keen on smelling like this too often, as it becomes too much after a while.
19th September, 2018
I love the immortelle in 1740 Marquis de Sade and Eau Noire. However, I just couldn't get past the immortelle-honey(/maple syrup?) accord that is the dominant feature of Sables. Thick as a block, overly sweet, lacking clarity, and simply quite underwhelming for me on the Guy Robert test.

I find this to be a reasonably potent scent, a whole lot better than most other Goutals that are too fleeting, and it is perhaps on par with Ambre Fétiche. Sables is definitely interesting, quirky - and therefore a must try for almost anyone (unless one categorically avoids either immortelle or sweet perfumes).

A comment on the sweetness: while it is saccharine, it is rather dry and 'grown-up', and not unpalatably vulgar like calorie-laden sophomoric modern sugars.

2.5/5
12th September, 2017

Add your review of Sables

Shop for Sables products online

Shop for Sables at online perfumeries

Search on eBay