Tuscany / Etruscan (1984)
by Aramis

Tuscany / Etruscan information

Year of Launch1984

HouseAramis
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Tuscany / Etruscan

The first Aramis fragrance to be created outside of the US. Tuscany was created in Firenze, Italy in 1984, then launched in 1985 in the UK.
The packaging is inspired by the warm red roof tiles, and the bottles silver top is shaped like a naval column.
The fragrance contains notes of Bergamot, Geranium and Pathcouli.
The fragrance s marketed as 'Etruscan' in some countires. (The Italian name for the Tuscany region).

Tuscany / Etruscan fragrance notes

Reviews of Tuscany / Etruscan

This is a winner from Aramis. I was so impressed the first time I smelled it, from a vintage sample. It's starts like a fresh Eau de Cologne, like something that might be light, but it turns increasingly masculine, with more of an after shave vibe, and also stronger smelling as the patchouli comes to the fore.

It does smell like what I think of as geranium.

I wore this on an early date with the person I'm still dating, which is a sign that I was into it, and she loved it.
20th June, 2020
With the myriad of smell-alike fragrances out there (a la Sauvage), I decided to revisit an old favorite of mine - Tuscany. Truth be told, I haven't smelled this since the 1990's but remember loving it. My initial impression was that the opening was a little 'different' from the original but still pleasing to my olfactory senses. As most will tell you the dry-down is worth waiting for! Glorious! Quite different from the new school frags and beautifully warm and woody/musky/mossy. I blind-bought a bottle of this for under $25 which in my mind is a no-brainer. Nothing offensive or overly cloying about it. Rather it feels like a familiar warm blanket on a cold day. I will definitely keep this beauty in my rotation going forward.
17th December, 2019
One of the masterpieces from the Aramis line, Tuscany opens up with a rich, bold citrus and herbal blast. The citrus recedes and gives lift to the sharp herbal notes, with anise taking prominence. This dry, herbal concoction gets more and more leathery as it dries down and fades away.

Despite its immaculate construction, Tuscany feels effortless and organic, like a naturally occurring bouquet of aromas that you'd find in the Italian countryside. It's not "current" or "youthful" because it isn't at all on-trend, but it isn't dated in the way that most 80s powerhouses are because of its lighter, citrusy character; it's often cited as being akin to Azzaro, and it is, to an extent, but I think it goes into more interesting territory than Azzaro pour Homme does.

It still smells rich and natural, with the notes crisp and sharp in a way that they rarely feel anymore in our aromachemical world. If one of the barbershop-y niche houses released this now, it would be well-received (and perhaps we're only a year or two away from a Tom Ford "re-imagining" of the scent hitting the market).
31st May, 2019 (last edited: 05th April, 2020)
Masculine, classy, and truly vintage old school scent. This is not for every occasion. I wear this when I have to go to a function where I have to make an impression. Go easy, the longevity and strength can be overwhelming for people with more subdued tastes.

An 80's powerhouse frag, par excellance.
22nd April, 2019
Very simple construction according to the notes listed here: bergamot, geranium and patchouli. I really like the bergamot opening, and the middle and base notes are ok, so I will just give a neutral rating for this one.
14th December, 2018 (last edited: 09th March, 2019)
As a teenager just beginning my men's fragrance exploration hobby in the 1980's, I would come across Tuscany for Men by Aramis at the fine department stores in the area, sitting on gilded platters next to the original Aramis and distinctive scents by Paul Sebastian, Polo, Fahrenheit, Obsession, Perry Ellis, Fendi, Givenchy, et. al. I loved the bottles next to Tuscany, and eventually it would get its turn in my testing rounds.

I always found Tuscany to be one of the more bold men's colognes on those counters! There was an exotic Italian vibe that it had which fascinated me to no end: Rich, bracing, and so masculine! I knew to wear this one in moderation, as "too much of a good thing" applied to its beastly sillage!

Bravo to Aramis for creating a scent which arguably is relevant even today. Classy, friendly, confident cologne; I bought the "Uomo Forte" intense version, which adds a shimmering woody strength while keeping true to the Tuscany original's dna.

I'm sure this one isn't for everyone, but it's sure worthy of a sample spritz even for the new generation of wearers, if not to experience the low-key gripping fragrance that dotted the shelves of stores in decades past!
28th August, 2018