Tuscany / Etruscan (1984)
by Aramis

Tuscany / Etruscan information

Year of Launch1984

HouseAramis
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Tuscany / Etruscan

The first Aramis fragrance to be created outside of the US. Tuscany was created in Firenze, Italy in 1984, then launched in 1985 in the UK.
The packaging is inspired by the warm red roof tiles, and the bottles silver top is shaped like a naval column.
The fragrance contains notes of Bergamot, Geranium and Pathcouli.
The fragrance s marketed as 'Etruscan' in some countires. (The Italian name for the Tuscany region).

Tuscany / Etruscan fragrance notes

Reviews of Tuscany / Etruscan

The scent of a warm hug from your old man,that feeling of trust and safety in his arms knowing he watches over the family and protecs you to no end.this is such a beautifully composed classic fougere.one of the most successful 80's classic.combines yesteryear masculinity with modern cleanliness and soapy freshness.refreshing and invigorating.it's not for the kind of guys only wear Blue de Chanel and One Million,this is for guys who have a penchant for retro and vintage.a true gentleman's classic.

Fresh lavender and anise are immediately apparent,although this fougere has a couple of unique touches that it's contemporaries do not posses.the top notes are a blast of spices and woods,very crisp and earthy. this freshness lasts a few minutes and mellows into the heart,which is absolutely fantastic.one hour into this beauty flows into the basil,tonka bean,woods,creaminess of sandalwood and a touch of leather.it gives off with great complexity while maintaining a soft yet steady projection.the scent has a slight Barbershop feel like a barbershop in Florence,plus atmosphere,good music,a passionate middle-aged gentleman.
10th January, 2021
Talk about a classical cologne.

So I'm putting it more in the aftershave and classical barbershop fresh category. It is more suited to older guys. Pulling this off below a certain age (I can't put my finger on) will be challenging. Very citrusy in the open.

It has now dried down. And I am surprised how it now smells similar to Wilkinson shaving soap. Or is it a Gilette product? Anyway, it's a pleasant smell.

This in my opinion lowers the age barrier but again I can't quite put a number on it. On me, I just can't pull it off I'm afraid but I do enjoy it.

24th December, 2020
This is a winner from Aramis. I was so impressed the first time I smelled it, from a vintage sample. It's starts like a fresh Eau de Cologne, like something that might be light, but it turns increasingly masculine, with more of an after shave vibe, and also stronger smelling as the patchouli comes to the fore.

It does smell like what I think of as geranium.

I wore this on an early date with the person I'm still dating, which is a sign that I was into it, and she loved it.
20th June, 2020
With the myriad of smell-alike fragrances out there (a la Sauvage), I decided to revisit an old favorite of mine - Tuscany. Truth be told, I haven't smelled this since the 1990's but remember loving it. My initial impression was that the opening was a little 'different' from the original but still pleasing to my olfactory senses. As most will tell you the dry-down is worth waiting for! Glorious! Quite different from the new school frags and beautifully warm and woody/musky/mossy. I blind-bought a bottle of this for under $25 which in my mind is a no-brainer. Nothing offensive or overly cloying about it. Rather it feels like a familiar warm blanket on a cold day. I will definitely keep this beauty in my rotation going forward.
17th December, 2019
One of the masterpieces from the Aramis line, Tuscany opens up with a rich, bold citrus and herbal blast. The citrus recedes and gives lift to the sharp herbal notes, with anise taking prominence. This dry, herbal concoction gets more and more leathery as it dries down and fades away.

Despite its immaculate construction, Tuscany feels effortless and organic, like a naturally occurring bouquet of aromas that you'd find in the Italian countryside. It's not "current" or "youthful" because it isn't at all on-trend, but it isn't dated in the way that most 80s powerhouses are because of its lighter, citrusy character; it's often cited as being akin to Azzaro, and it is, to an extent, but I think it goes into more interesting territory than Azzaro pour Homme does.

It still smells rich and natural, with the notes crisp and sharp in a way that they rarely feel anymore in our aromachemical world. If one of the barbershop-y niche houses released this now, it would be well-received (and perhaps we're only a year or two away from a Tom Ford "re-imagining" of the scent hitting the market).
31st May, 2019 (last edited: 05th April, 2020)
Masculine, classy, and truly vintage old school scent. This is not for every occasion. I wear this when I have to go to a function where I have to make an impression. Go easy, the longevity and strength can be overwhelming for people with more subdued tastes.

An 80's powerhouse frag, par excellance.
22nd April, 2019