Witness (1992)

HouseJacques Bogart
PerfumerDominique Preyssas
Parent CompanyBogart Group

About Witness

Witness is a masculine fragrance by Jacques Bogart. The scent was launched in 1992 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Preyssas

Witness fragrance notes

Reviews of Witness

The missing link in the chain between Roger & Gallet Open, Montana Parfum d'Homme, and Aramis Havana, Bogart Witness is essentially just the spicy-sweet elements of Aramis Havana taken out and bottled unto itself.

You get a lot of spices, predominantly cinnamon, over a carmelized brown sugar base, with some of the commonplace green-woody elements of the time keeping it from going full-on gourmand.

It's a lot of fun, and its delectable drydown would make this an excellent choice for a crisp fall day.
02nd May, 2020 (last edited: 04th May, 2020)
There's something generic in the DNA of this, from that time, that it's slightly off-putting in the opening, or even later smelled up close. From a distance, after some development, it's tasty. Very nice. Warm and sexy. Warm spicy. There's the high-pitched shower-gel note that is screechy up close, but ok from more than 18 inches away.

I'm wearing this again today, and thinking a lot about Schnozz's review, which I tend to agree with. It's a strange perfume that takes so long to reach its best. Maybe the base can teach a wearer to love the top.

In any case, I like it more than Gengis Khan edt.
25th April, 2019 (last edited: 20th April, 2020)
Stardate 20170309:

Cinnamon and Artemisia. My nemesis and I can only take them in small doses.
Bogart does not believe in small doses.

So a thumbs down from me.
If you like these notes do get this fragrance. It is well done and inexpensive - like other bogarts.
09th March, 2017
I hate to be the first here to give Witness a neutral because it's a nice fragrance and I do like it.What I smell is a base of rich cinnamon,amber, and sandalwood together,light on florals and a twist of patchouli.A small batch of notes but a thick fragrance!

Why a neutral rating?
When I wear this more and think about the amber thickness and type of sweet cinnamon note..this combination reminds me of a textured sensation of cinnamon syrup or a cinnamon gum.It's tolerable and not overly cloying.But it's a synthetic tone that makes Witness a 'sticky sweet' fragrance with vague artistry.Worth trying but a little over hyped in my opinion.
15th January, 2017 (last edited: 26th January, 2019)
I will pass on vivisecting the opening of Witness (or most any other fragrance for that matter) because who really cares what anything smells like for the 15 minutes I’m getting dressed. The heart of this unique and compelling masculine spritzer is cedar/santal perfectly blended with high-middle notes pine needles, cinnamon, bergamot and rose and some lighter floral notes. Patchouli firms up the foundation. This is rightfully regarded as the apotheosis of cinnamon-forward scents at least in large part because Witness is mercifully devoid of sweetness; indeed, the cinnamon is of such a piquant variety that that one picks up white pepper notes. While not what you would call a breezy scent, the secret of success here is great warmth and depth without density or anything cloying thanks to the slightly prickly popping of high spice notes along with the steady flow of lighter florals to ensure that any fat gets thinned just enough. I see a few outlier reviewers gripe about the duration of Witness, and that merits mention of something I view as an intriguing feature of this offering. Somewhat shockingly for a fragrance with such substantial stuffing, it is very much a now-you-see-it-now-you-don’t affair, improbably behaving in this regard like a the most gossamer of floral perfumes. It really can completely disappear within 2 or 3 hours, but it most assuredly with rise again and again. At hour 5+ it actually hits a more consistent pumping stride than in the early going. In fact, it is only at this phase that Witness can be fully appreciated. I say this not because only a pleasing base remains at this juncture. Rather, this is when Witness really is hitting on all cylinders, and I therefore fear that anyone who merely does a scratch-and-sniff test of this gem is missing out almost completely.
24th April, 2015
The perfect cinnamon scent

Smelling Jacques Bogart's Witness for the first time is a bit like discovering a mint condition Honus Wagner baseball card stored in a tupperware container in your grandparents' attic. After the initial burst of excitement, two questions come to mind: "How in the hell did your grandfather come by this little treasure and why didn't he tell you about it before?"

Why, indeed. I had never experienced Witness before finding it tucked unpretentiously behind the Yatagan and Caron Pour Homme at a local perfume shop.

To call this a forgotten classic verges on understatement. The fragrance itself is a masterful blend of wood, incense, cinnamon, and citrus. I could swear there is tobacco as well, but the note sheet disagrees.

Today, I am wearing my all time favorite Jubilation XXV Amouage, and yet I find myself stealing whiffs of my elbow joint, where I applied the Witness some 5 hours ago.

Witness reminds me of another favorite of mine, Havana by Aramis. It has that same lazy sophistication, but more substance. It is missing the boozy rum notes of the Havana--addition by subtraction in my opinion.

I'll go bit deeper into looney-land and say that Witness compares favorably L'Air Du Desert Marocain. They both have a slightly bitter cinnamon and incense heart. But where LDDM is dry enough to cause windburn, Witness is moist and deeply satisfying.

Highly recommended.

26th August, 2013

Add your review of Witness

Shop for Witness products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Witness

There are no member images of Witness yet. Why not be the first?