Gold Man (1983)

Year of Launch1983

HouseAmouage
PerfumerGuy Robert

About Gold Man

Gold Man is a masculine fragrance by Amouage. The scent was launched in 1983 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Guy Robert

Gold Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Gold Man

A very challenging scent that needs a LOT of time and patience to understand and enjoy.

It is very period correct for 1983, and as such many of today's noses will not know what to do with it.

Opening is powdery floral of the highest order, borderline stinks. Then it starts to morph into various presentations of Victorian era auras, finally settling down to an animalic incense and musk ala civet and patch.

Not for the faint of heart!
30th September, 2019
Amouage Gold Man (1983) is the first masculine fragrance from the house formed by the rulling house of Oman. Before Western creative direction was hired to oversee the catalog, Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said handed control to Prince Sayyid Hamad bin Hamoud al bu Said upon the house's creation, who then hired famed perfumer Guy Robert to make a his/hers pair that saw launch the same year. The idea was to capture Middle East style with Western perfume methods and the results are staggering. Since then, Amouage have branched out into a smear of scents both Western and Middle Eastern in tone, but nothing so starkly raw as this. Gold Man reminds me that concepts of gender fashion in the world can be rightly upended from one region to the next, and most men in the West would not be caught dead wearing the style Gold Man exhibits, which is essentially an aldehydic floral with a very animalic chypre base. Only diehard animalic fans or guys who genderbend with their perfume tastes will appreciate Gold Man outside Amouage home terf.

The opening of Gold Man is every bit like Chanel No. 5 (1921) or Jean Patou Joy (1930), but with the aldehydes toned down so an almost sour bergamot, muguet and olibanum note surfaces. Not for the weak, Gold Man exhibits a bordello bedsheet aroma for the first 30 minutes as a heart of indolic jasmine, rose and myrrh comes into the picture. Orris, sandalwood, and patchouli try their best to clean up the act but that base of oakmoss, ambergris, musk, labdanum, and skanky civet simply won't let it. Gold Man does calm down into a rather fussy powdery smell suitable to dandies who love their white florals, but the animalic tones never fully subside. The only thing really marking Gold Man as masculine to Western noses are the animalics, but they're so far out of fashion to mainstream noses that Gold Man will remain a extra-niche option among an already niche catalog. Wear time is over 10 hours and sillage is surprisingly moderate, but this stuff just glows on skin. Fans of the old Moustache by Rochas (1949) in its extra-civety Concentrée form will love Gold Man, along with vintage guys fond of the long-dead Monsieur Lanvin (1964), but if stuff like Tom Ford Noir (2012) feels too scary to wear, Gold Man will be a veritable nightmare.

Recommended use is pretty much where you want because this is going to make waves anywhere it is worn. Amouage Silver/Silver Cristal (1998) would be a refinement of this idea into something more friendly, and Silver Cologne (2002) a further continuation in that direction, but it wasn't until the 2000's that Amouage really found its step with the Western luxury crowd. The original crystal flacon presentation of Gold Man will be the most rakish and virile, while the relaunched version in the standard rectangular Amouage bottle will have synthetic civetone delivering a slightly drier and soapier take on this debut masculine from the house. Definitely test before diving in on this one, as Gold Man is a blind buy only for the lovers of old chypre fragrances and the powdery dandy styles of antiquity, where smelling "clean" is not necessarily a prerequisite to smelling good. This is definitely my thing so I'm giving it a very biased thumbs up.
20th May, 2019
Musky, soapy, floral, like taking a bath in the clawfoot tub at my grandmother’s cottage in the seventies. Well done but I wouldn’t wear it.
03rd January, 2019
Got this with a travel sample set as a present from the wife. Got around to trying this on and am glad I don’t have a full bottle to get rid of.

Too many floral notes in the top and middle make this far too feminine for me. It comes across like having washed thoroughly in an old fashioned soap conjuring more of a hygiene, somewhat camp vibe rather than images of opulence.

The previous reviews describing smelling like an old lady are quite apt at best a unisex fragrance, but not one where I would attach the word Man to the name. However, perhaps this one is just too sophisticated for my palate.
01st January, 2019
.I'm gonna sample 2 versions at the same time here...one one hand I'm putting Gold from a sample bottle in the Men's assortment box from a # of years back, so I'm pretty sure it's what was in the old non-magnetic top bottles...on the other hand I'm putting the Khanjar version from the beautiful old crystal bottle...as the years go by I hope my nose gets more and more educated and I can discern more about a fragrance I'm smelling...I happened to run across an old note from the 1st time I smelled Gold, and I was just writing short impressions for myself....for Gold I had " smells like a cat pissed on a flower bouquet and someone tried hiding the smell by dusting it with baby powder "...anyway, here goes with the current sniff-off...sample bottle first - retro aldhyde blast of civet...over my two olfactory/collecting journeys I've grown very fond of animalic fragrances, and this is the bomb!!! This has to be the most animalic men's scent Amouage has,,,I can't really think of another one that even comes close...there's flowers and musk , but the civet rules...doesn't strike me as being as baby powder powdery as the 1st time I smeled it...now it seems more like the pleasant smelling talc that the barber dusts the back of your neck with...Ok...gonna put some of the Khanjar on the other hand...wow...like 2 totally different fragrances...it's like the treble got turned down and the base pumped up...ther's the aldehydic smell and effect, but not the shriek like in the sample...civet is awesome, but much more laid back, and I swear I smell citrus...I trhink I can say this safely without having to smell any further that Khanjar version is the hands down winner...as they dry down they somewhat merge and start smelling a little more like each other, but you would have no problem identifying which is wich...with the sample it just was an overall flower accor to me...in the Khanjar , I can smell a delicate rose...an absolutely grand/opulent/rich/classy fragrance...
09th July, 2018
All I can say, is: I'm glad I didn't explore the Amouage line in chronological order.

I read up on this one and somewhere there was the wisdom "definitely try before you buy" and so I got a sample from Luckyscent. I got through the initial blast of granny's partially-soiled bloomers, tiptoeing around the house trying to avoid my wife. She can be quite critical. The next phase hit around 45 minutes in and it was this Avon rose soap kind of thing, but if you sniff your wrist I'll be damned if it doesn't smell like burning polystyrene. Anybody who, as a boy, lit a plastic model tank on fire knows what I am talking about.

Neutral rating because I didn't hate it. It ain't my cup of tea, mainly because I don't like my tea with cat pee in it.
21st May, 2018