Musc Ravageur (2000)

PerfumerMaurice Roucel
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Musc Ravageur

Musc Ravageur is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2000 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Maurice Roucel. The bottle was designed by Frederic Malle

Musc Ravageur fragrance notes

Reviews of Musc Ravageur

This review is an admitted unorthodox take on MR by sampling only after the Desert Gems collection and L’Erbolario Méharées. Whereas I believe MR was a stand out profile in spice and desert theme prior, at the time of this review Night and Dawn are widely available as splits and decants, and Méharées is in solid production. I would imagine it’s not possible the order in which I have tried these fragrances has not skewed my appraisal downward. Musc Ravageur’s hyped muskiness is quite tame in comparison to the Night’s opening onslaught. While they are two completely different fragrance profiles, the notorious musk I heard so much about was anticlimactic, “Oh, is that all?” And what is Musc Ravageur after its opening? Méharées gingerbread snickerdoodle at many times the price. Good, but possibly a victim of its own success by having a worthy affordable understudy and outcompeted by new modern siblings given center stage.
20th June, 2021 (last edited: 21st June, 2021)
I tried this originally in around 2010 when it was all the rage as one of the "must have" clubber scents. It just didn't click with me.

Fast forward 10 years and into retirement. Some of my tastes have changed. Kind of got a weird urge to try it again so went with a small decant. Love it now.

I suppose at my age I have no business wearing such an overtly sensual scent, but screw it.

It sits nicely on the brink of musky, sweet, vanilla, spicey. Nice dry down and nice longevity.

A great "looking for trouble" frag even if you're too old for trouhle.
20th March, 2021
Musc Ravageur is interesting, but it's not a fave for right now. I like the musky gourmand vanilla and tonka, but I was surprised by how much clove there is. It dirties things up a bit at the beginning and IMO it doesn't mesh as well with the rest of the scent as I'd like it to. I have enjoyed other fragrances with clove before, Serge Lutens Arabie comes to mind. However the difference I would say is that Arabie is already a sticky, spicy explosion even without the clove, whereas the background of MR is much more delicate, and easier tipped off balance by it. Does calm down into something much more wearable within an hour, but it also only lasted a few hours this time. Will definitely want to give it a second wearing.
23rd November, 2019
harper Show all reviews
kinda nice. but really not sure what all the hype is about. certainly zero association with wild nights in the back of a cab in a foreign city with a hot sweaty stranger. more like baked goods and baby powder. i mean: comforting. but raunchy it's not.
19th August, 2019
ION-ONE Show all reviews
Sample obtained new in 2019 - so new stuff.

Not what I was expecting. Somehow I was ready for a rough animalic. Insofar as this is animalic it is like the smell of a new born baby, soft and clean, edible.

Notes I pick up include clove, (dirty) vanilla, lavender, clean musks. The combination almost goes gourmand with a burnt caramel (worthers original) dry down.

All the notes combine to create a fuzzy aura. Yes this is fuzzy logic in scent form, existing in the in-between. Somehow incoherently cozy. Evoking a foggy day in a quality thick fair isle jumper.

This works very close to the skin so projection is limited but longevity seems decent. Dry down is quite syruppy / powdery and can remind me of tea-for-two, eau duelle even Heritage or Prada Amber but nonetheless a uniquely realized concept
09th June, 2019
I have a love hate with this one - the dry down is completely amazing - a lovely subtle fougere-musk with a light toffee-vanilla sweetness that you can almost taste as you breathe in, and it’s totally worthy of all the hype. The problem is you’ve got to have the patience to sit through the opening - 4 hours of a slightly musky musty clove. At fine if you can apply it well in advance of going out and put a clothes peg in your nose, but it’s a bit impractical. Apparently there’s a fragrance by l’erbolario called dolcelesir that goes straight to the amazing dry down. I’m keen to check this out - it could be the answer to my clothes peg woes!
08th February, 2019 (last edited: 13th October, 2019)

Add your review of Musc Ravageur