Himalaya (2002)

About Himalaya

Himalaya is a masculine fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 2002

Himalaya fragrance notes

Reviews of Himalaya

A very clean and pleasent Creed, with a heavily obvious ambergris dry down..to me it's a lot like green Irish tweed for its fresh approach, citrusy instead of grassy with a similar ambergris rich structure, Himalaya has a luxury ivory hand soap feel tho in the dry down. I suppose I could connect the smell with all things pure and tranquil that is associated with the Himalaya mountains, except there is no harsh weather or fellow mountaineer's falling to their deaths, it's a sunny day and the climb ahead is full of optimism. I get around 6/7 hours performance with an hour's projection..makes for an excellent staple in the spring and summer.
08th January, 2020
Affable, likeable and very approachable. I will actively seek out another sample of this as it simply didn't stand up and grab me on the first couple of wears, but there is something intriguing there.

Silver Mountain Water's sample was enough to let me know a bottle wouldn't work for me, but with Himalaya I'm just not quite sure yet.

I'm also wondering if batch variation has influenced my sampling - citrus, cedar, sandalwood and ambergris presents as my ideal fragrance based on my tastes.

I definitely like it, just not sure if I like it enough to own it.
24th November, 2019
As with some of my favorite Creeds this took me awhile to appreciate just how good it is. At first i really disliked this (blind buy). However now i am almost out of my 75ml bottle and will definitely be getting a 120ml this time.

This has actually garnered me quite a few compliments and a few people have even asked how i smell so fresh and clean. This in my opinion is the yellow version of GIT and i find i enjoy it more in the cool months.

Will definitely remain a staple in my collection and can't wait to get a big boy bottle.

That feeling when you get out of the shower on a cool morning and that fresh citrus blast peppers you is magic!

However i do wish it performed better!

I just received my 2nd bottle of this (100ml 2016 batch) when I opened the parcel I found the bottle had leaked about 10ml, clearly the ring beneath and atomizer was loose. Anyway i got a small refund to compensate for this as, I decided to keep the bottle because this thing had BEAST performance on me..I'm talking projection and longivity that just goes and goes!

The bottle I had prior to this lasted about half as long.

I can't wait for the cooler months because this will be my go to cold morning scent!

22nd April, 2019 (last edited: 31st January, 2020)
Creed Himalaya (2002) was purportedly created to commemorate Olivier Creed's Tibetan expedition, because normal perfumers go on crazy expeditions across the globe right? Right. Anyway, avoiding complaints about delusions of grandeur concerning the Creed family and their house, I will say that Himalaya conjures nothing of the sort when smelled or worn, but that doesn't mean it's not good. The notes breakdown of Himalaya seems to describe this mystical fragrance which is one part of juicy citrus, one part dry aromatic sandalwood, and one part illustrious Creed ambergris base all rolled up into a delightfully-fresh semi-oriental smell in a gleaming silver bottle meant to take you virtual mountain climbing with your deer friend Olivier Creed, but that really isn't the case here either. What I (and most people) actually get here is a fresh fougère competing with the likes of Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (1989) or Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme (1993) but given a new lease on life with fruity top notes and some Creed quality to make the base last far longer than either of the other two. I imagine Himalaya was meant to be the Green Irish Tweed (1985) for a new generation of upper-management career professionals, but with Millésime Impérial (1995) still doing very strongly, and Silver Mountain Water (1995) being something of an underdog champion amongst younger, more aggressive guys able to afford Creed, Himalaya probably felt too staid, even though it was intended for that market while the other two were technically unisex fragrances. Himalaya therefore goes somewhat unloved and unnoticed in the more-modern canon of Creed, until some of it's ideas were repackaged again with less freshness, no fruity charm, and more traditional barbershop notes in Viking (2018), which is a solid, if underwhelming fougère that is ironically even closer to the 90's stuff than Himalaya.

The opening of Himalaya is rather vibrant, offering a three-way waltz with dry bergamot, juicy lemon, and sweet grapefruit, the latter of which was just starting to come into vogue in the early 2000's. Creed always had been mindful to offer an "elevated" version of what's popular with designers in the 90's, at least until they went "full niche" then later shattered the mold with Aventus (2010), setting a trend for the first time since Green Irish Tweed instead of just making luxury versions of "everyone else's cologne" like they're essentially doing here. The really natural-smelling citrus, along with a trademark authentic ambergris base, is the hallmark of most Creed fragrances, and even if you hate the rest of it, you can count on those being there to give a beautiful house note. Same holds true for Himalaya, as after the fruity-sweet citrus settles down, we get an almost metallic middle of geranium, hedione, and sandalwood, which is a big link to Chanel Platinum Égoïste (1993) as well, but is all the commonality it has despite what naysayers might tell you. White musk, the aforementioned ambergris, cedar, oakmoss, and Iso E Super finish this up, but that natural ambergris is really what sets Himalaya apart from any other designer fresh fougère from any decade. Typical long life of about 10+ hours and potentially dangerous sillage abound with Himalaya, so be careful how much you apply, and this is another unusually casual scent for Creed, just like Silver Mountain Water, so it might make a good daily driver for office use or day errands on weekends when the weather is fair. Nobody will suspect you're wearing "one percenter's fragrance" due to the affable nature of Himalaya, and nobody will likely even turn their head to figure out where your smell is coming from, but anyone within touching distance will notice you're not smelling of the usual mall fragrance, and will ask what that gorgeous scent is called.

I think this casual friendliness, it's clean, fruity, solidly aromatic lines, and the total lack of pomp or drama is what makes Himalaya so underappreciated among Creed fans. One sort of expects a Creed to have a distinguishing accord which attracts attention or envy like Aventus or Green Irish Tweed, some kind of expensive-smelling facet to create intimidation like Bois du Portugal (1987) or Royal Mayfair (2015), and when it doesn't feel special in those ways, the psycho-emotional disconnect of not feeling elite is a let-down for some Creed-o-philes. However, with Himalaya, there is still an underlying uniqueness and distinction which sets Himalaya off from other things you could be wearing, and that's the overall optimism of the fragrance combined with its quality. Most fresh fougères are just that: fresher versions of the standard green, clean, and groomed accord men have been relying on since the late 19th century. Yeah, there's the rich vanillic stuff from the mid 20th century, the heavy aromatic stuff from the 70's, and the extremely mossy stuff from the 80's, but with few exceptions, fougères are fit for work, and rarely play. What Creed does with Himalaya is make a playful, lightly sweet, and "young" fougère that avoids the radioactive pitfalls of the ozonics of the day going for youthful countenance, but also avoids the "dad's aftershave" reputation that even lighter 90's fougères eventually picked up by the turn of the millennium. No other house at any price point was really trying to keep the fougère relevant anymore, but here was Creed quietly injecting a bit of anti-age serum into the formula, and making a sleeper of a generalist in the process, albeit an extremely pricey one. Something like Himalaya feels more niche a decade plus removed from its release date, and that's its charm, but it shouldn't be anyone's first Creed, unless price is a factor as it gets discounted more often than some others. Thumbs up!
25th November, 2018 (last edited: 26th November, 2018)
"The Masked Armpit" nailed it -- Pepper and soap for hours and hours...that's it....YAWN.
This was my first Creed and I got it as a tester from a retail perfume store. The price was good, and because it was a CREED, I was SURELY going to like it. I sprayed it and liked it (well enough). I was SURELEY to like it better later (because it was a CREED). Later (after purchase, of course), I noticed the dry-down was disappointing. I received the same experience every time I wore it. It now just sits on my shelf as a sad reminder of what happens to boring fragrances.
11th September, 2018
A half-hearted thumbs up. Not because Creed's Himalaya smells bad to me, but because it's too understated and simple for my tastes.

Take perhaps four parts Escentric Molecules 01 and six parts Escentric Molecules 02, mix together, and...
Voila, it's Creed Himalaya! I do detect a few other notes in there, but for the most part, these seem to dominate: Iso E Super and Ambroxan.

Opening spray is a light citrus peel sensation that immediately goes into skin-scent mode. Ironically, after about 15 minutes this initial sheen dissipates, and the iso e emerges quite clearly, along with the unmistakable musky Creed ambergris accord (partly reflected in Ambroxan, one element in ambergris).

Now the question is: Do you like loud, straightforward and assertive colognes? Then Creed Himalaya may not be for you. This scent is airy, aromatic, woody, slightly citrus and musky with moderate sillage. It seems meant for the enjoyment of the wearer than those walking by or around the wearer, unless he (she?) had decided to layer Himalaya on himself three times or so.

Sandalwood's musky-creamy presence works well to add a bit more complexity to the cedar in the base; else, if it was strictly iso e super, this would be a more sterile scent from Creed. Overall, there is an atmospheric, natural vibe that Himalaya communicates, and those who like subtle, whispering soft fragrances, this may be the scent for you.

Great casual outing fragrance, also suitable for daily informal wear and for the office. Creed's Himalaya is a safe, pleasant, clean and basic scent that shouldn't offend any but the most sensitive smeller.
08th September, 2018

Add your review of Himalaya

Shop for Himalaya products online

Shop for Himalaya at online perfumeries

Search on eBay