parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate (2002)
by Comme des Garçons

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate information

Year of Launch2002

HouseComme des Garçons
PerfumerMark Buxton

About parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2002 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Mark Buxton

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate fragrance notes

Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate

Love incense and I find this to be a nice addition to the universe of incense fragrances...light and fresh yet has an air of mystery and intrigue...whats nice is you can smell the incense , but its not in your face...it doesnt really take over the scent but stays even and balanced with the other members of this cast...a lot of play from the. resident resins...overall , a resiny/herby fresh incense...very friendly...a vague hint of something animalic...kind of a sexy scent...a must sample for lovers of all things incense...very slightlly sweet , which i find makes this even more enjoyable to smell...
06th August, 2020
Incense that is never smoky, but rather both cold and warm at the same time. I get the feeling of cold rocks laced with a hint of spice with a little bit of floral (jasmine?) peeking through. I love incense scents, but most seem too masculine for me to wear out in public, but I absolutely love this. It's wearable and warm yet mysterious.
12th August, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening blast and its aftermath are both delicious: a soft, approachable, darkish, friendly and never sinister incense note that is not smoky on my skin. In the drydown hints of herbs and greens are present at times, but the core message Ouarzazate conveys is: incense rules!

The drydown develops a fairly light musky theme, but the base is really defined by adding a very pleasant labdanum that at times combines with the ever present incense to a nigh-balsamic mix at times, with a hint of tonka sweetness evident in the last third. A touch of wood is present now too. Towards the ends the sweetness recedes, and the incense note fades out gradually.

The sillage is moderate, the projection excellent, and I get six hours of longevity out of it.

This is a lovely winter scent, with a fairly unusal and well blended incense core that shows a side of incense not commonly developed in these types of fragrances. 3.25/5

17th January, 2016
Genre: Woody Oriental

“Raisinous” incense.

Ouarzazate’s opening is redolent of dried fruit, sweet spices, and leather, with a mildly astringent frankincense emerging slowly over time. The incense and raisin accord that coalesces out of these is deep, dark, and compelling. As Ouarzazate continues to develop, its balance tips farther and farther toward the incense, and while the dried fruit subsides, a salty-sweet amber, rich in labdanum, rises to take its place.

The incense, dried fruit, and amber structure that nose Mark Buxton built for Ouarzazate foreshadows that of colleague Bertrand Duchaufour’s Jubilation XXV for Amouage, though leaner and cleaner in texture, and without the later scent’s baroque honeyed floral flourishes. It dries down into the smoky-woody territory explored since in kindred scents like Dzongkha and Timbuktu.

Ouarzazate assumes its own place in the Comme des Garçons incense series. If Avignon is liturgical incense, Kyoto Shinto temple incense, and Zagorsk incense burning in an icy fir grove, Ouarzazate is spiced fruit incense that flirts coyly with the culinary. It is the sweetest, densest, and thickest of these, but also the most rounded, sensuous, and approachable of the lot. No gothic austerity here, but instead a warm, enveloping, (if also decidedly exotic,) olfactory blanket. To wit, a fine recommendation for anyone first exploring the ever-expanding universe of incense-themed niche fragrances.
22nd June, 2014
I love the opening of Ouarzazate, its bitter, dry herbal notes with hints of spices- I'd say cardamom and anise- and even a trace of sweetened tea, enveloping the smoky, yet luminous and light heart of incense.
Too bad the evolution is very swift and the drydown relies on molecules that, as someone previously stated, have become heavily widespread in mainistream fragrances, hence smell a bit common and banal, in the end, though not unplaesant at all.
Considering that I'm appreciating only a half of the fragrance I could have given "neutral", but the idea behind the Incense Series is so fascinating, and the whole series so coherent that I won't be fussing over!
11th November, 2013
I've been eager to review this one because I remember it being different enough from the other four to treat it like its own entity. The first time I tried it, it was like no other fragrance I'd ever experienced, like ethereal jasmine on top of wood. It's very tea-like and otherworldly right from the start...the top notes are a quiet, moderately sweet blend of flowery black tea and nicely grained wood, but not resinous, exotic wood. It's very simple, but in a comforting way, not a harsh or minimalist way. I see an image of plainly finished but contemporary furniture and sleek tableware in an elegant home, and they're made of solid conventional wood, with a non-edgy, semi-asian-inspired design. The scent has just a hint of something that reminds me of C. Howard's violet candies, but not enough to bother me like some violet notes. I only start to notice the jasmine (lotus?) in the residue on the tip of my nose after sniffing my sample. It's there, not as strong as I remember, but getting stronger throughout the mid notes. Oddly enough, the wood actually seems to fade out and the florals to fade in. I'm not sure if you could officially call it a masculine floral, but after trying so many of those that I didn't like, this is really something that I could get lost in and also wear comfortably in the real world. I kind of wish it were stronger for how expensive it is, but the translucency, balance and restraint are just outstanding; it can't possibly be so simple and yet so perfect.
14th May, 2013