Vétiver Extraordinaire (2002)

SupplierIFF
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Vétiver Extraordinaire

Vétiver Extraordinaire is a masculine fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2002 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Ropion. The bottle was designed by Frederic Malle

Vétiver Extraordinaire fragrance notes

Reviews of Vétiver Extraordinaire

In Aphorismes d'un parfumeur, Dominique Ropion says that he and Frederic Malle based this on a fractionated vetiver oil from which the camphor had been removed by some arcane jiggery-pokery. It’s a smoother, atypical vetiver where its ‘habitual costume has been abandoned [for something] a bit cold, metallic’.

Instead of the usual earthy, grassy and liquorice themes, it starts off pebble-like and exotic fruity, and then develops a whole litany of accents: red leather, sweet powder, pink pepper; mushroom, sous bois, sour milk; green, demerara, woody, mossy and musk.

It does become a bit more conventional in the drydown, but with its alien ambience of Feu d’Issey and the thrawn tangents of Roudnitska, this is still, quite an extraordinary work. As Spock might rightly have said, ‘it’s vetiver Jim, but not as we know it’.

4*+

Pre Lauder 10ml sample
13th January, 2020 (last edited: 23rd January, 2020)
ION-ONE Show all reviews
The SA left me in no doubt about the quality (and quantity) of the raw ingredients used - proof then that high quality ingredients may be necessary for a great fragrance but are far from sufficient.

Some vetivers are spring (CDG Vetiverru) - fresh, bright green, invigorating. Some are Autumn (Encre Noire), rooty and smokey. Some are Summer (Mugler/Prada) : soapy and clean. This is unfortunately Winter: cold, grey, dreary.

Dark green and rooty, slightly mentholated. Vetiver teamed with Cedar almost reading as a bitter lime. A little cold and impersonal. Perhaps a good board-room scent.

Performance is hard to gauge as I seem relatively anosmic to it. If you want something in this genre perhaps also try TF GV EDP or TDH intense vetiver. I simply would never be excited or thrilled to wear this one.
16th September, 2019 (last edited: 19th September, 2019)
This is a textbook example of trying to be too creative and just driving the train right off of the rails.

It's a very harsh opening, with only the slightest whiff of vetiver. The bergamot and bitter (and I mean BITTER) orange are accompanied by a disturbingly ozonic note. Most vetiver fragrances that I enjoy have that soapy/clean vibe you typically expect with a vetiver opening. But this ozonic component gives an almost ammonia-like presentation of the citrus, woods, and vetiver, which reminds me of once-wet, rotting vegetation. Similar to a used tea bag that has been sitting out for a few days. Some others have mentioned an iodine note, and I can certainly understand that component. This has a very bitter and medicinal tinge to it.

The bitterness subsumes after some time, leaving a dusty, dry, woody base coupled with a melange of what seem to be random herbs. And then it just eventually fades away. This barely classifies as a "vetiver" fragrance, as the vetiver is about as prominent as the sesame seeds are on a Big Mac. It doesn't evolve, it doesn't get better...it just burns out in a sad fashion. I will say this: it does project well, and it has good longevity. More than most fragrances that I actually enjoy, sadly.

What really flummoxes me about this scent is that at some point, Dominique Ropion took a whiff after hours and hours of work, leaned back and then felt satisfied to turn this Frankenstein's monster loose on the general public. I don't get the point of this. I really don't. This is something I would believe to be the failed experiments of an amateur perfumer. The irony of this is that it's this bad and so expensive. I wish I could say I like any part of this fragrance, but I just don't.

Thumbs down without an ounce of hesitation.
02nd June, 2019
I share the opinion of other reviewers, that this one is not a convincing vetiver fragrance.
The drydown is very similar to Givenchy Vetyver's drydown, but imo Givenchy does it better for a fraction of the price.

Neutral opinion on this one, but factoring in the niche price point and a dollar store fragrance-like performance, it will be a thumbs down and a hard pass for me.

Colder rainy days, 30+
01st June, 2019 (last edited: 31st May, 2019)
Funny how reviewer's impressions are all over the map: from dark and earthy to light and lemony. I'm in the latter. For while it's 'soft', it last quite a while. Not quite as 'sparkling' as what I perceive Guerlain's reference vetiver to be, and I don't like this more than the Guerlain, but I do really like it. That said, I don't believe I would pay the FM asking price, this being a linear vetiver scent. Beautiful, but linear.
11th May, 2019
Fresh orange peel on a wooden chopping board - zesty but delicate. Ends up in no-mans land with cool clean vetiver pulling one way and warm woods the other. It doesn’t quite have the ‘cold water sink-wash’ feel of grey vetiver/original vetiver/muegler cologne; and doesn’t have the full warm woods richness of Comme des Garçons or L’occitane’s Cade. Plus I’m not the biggest fan of orange fragrances. Probably needs a particular type of day to make this work - when you need slightly warm, slightly fresh (or can’t make up your mind).
08th February, 2019

Add your review of Vétiver Extraordinaire

Shop for Vétiver Extraordinaire products online

Shop for Vétiver Extraordinaire at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Vétiver Extraordinaire

There are no member images of Vétiver Extraordinaire yet. Why not be the first?