Eau de Campagne (1974)

Year of Launch1974

HouseSisley
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Eau de Campagne

Eau de Campagne is a shared / unisex perfume by Sisley. The scent was launched in 1974 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena

Reviews of Eau de Campagne

Sisley Eau de Campagne (1974) is a marvelous chypre fragrance and early work of famed perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena, launching the house of Sisley then receiving a wider distribution in 1976 (hence conflicting dates). What's most fascinating is Sisley was originally founded by Jean-Francois Laport and partner Roland de Saint Vincent, as Laport's first niche perfume and cosmetics brand, then abruptly sold off to Hubert d'Ornano (whose family still owns it today) so Laport could found L'Artisan Parfumeur on his own. Therefore, Sisley is sort of a prototype L'Artisan Parfumeur in a way, although Laport himself didn't get his hands on making the perfume like he would with L'Artisan or his later house Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. Bringing on board a young Jean-Claude Ellena, Sisley launched with a fragrance meant to evoke the countryside of Campagne, a small village in France. The profile is unmistakably chypre, but the breakdown is exceedingly green as with most chypres from the 70's that didn't rely on tons of aldehydes or oriental notes. Eau de Campagne would be the only perfume Sisley sold until Eau de Soir (1990), and a huge bath range exists around it too, so Ellena must have done something right,

Jean-Claude had not yet developed his characteristic "transparent" style, but most of this can also be attributed to the aromachemcials he would later favor for this style not yet existing in the 70's, but Eau de Campagne isn't heavy or particularly opaque either. Most interesting about this perfume is the opening, which sets the usual galbanum and bergamot found in the "mean green" 70's chypre style alongside dry plum, a soft lemon, and tomato leaf. The effect of this reminds me a lot of a middle ground between Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) and Annick Goutal Ninféo Mio (2010) but with a touch of dark dessicated fruit. This blending of soft plush citrus, plum, and sharp leafy goodness continues with basil and pelagoriums in the heart (geranium), which makes Eau de Campagne glow delicately alongside jasmine hedione and muguet, negating any dourness the plum might bring. The base is the usual chypre business with oakmoss, vetiver, patchouli, and a soft clean musk. Eau de Campagne is wholesome, uplifting, verdant and clean, like a more-lucid Dior Eau Sauvage (1966) that reads neutral in gender, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ellena was inspired by Roudnitska when making this. Performance is average all around since this is a rather light chypre, and suggested use is casual daytime spring and summer, or after shower.

IFRA regulations have taken some pep out of Eau de Campagne's step thanks to restrictions on oakmoss (or rather the atranol in oakmoss), but I've smelled what chypres like Eau de Campagne were like before the restrictions, and there's little change besides the fat, semi-bitter, and buttery skin feel left behind by a heavy dose of oakmoss fixative in fairly basic, academic chypres like this; in other words, you're getting a light woody scent either way. Jean-Claude Ellena certainly didn't reinvent the wheel with Eau de Campagne (nor would he at this stage of his career), although heavy hitters come later when another seeming ode to Roudnitska would come out by the name of Cartier Déclaration (1998). Based on his work there, he'd further refine his use of transparent woody aromachemicals until Terre d'Hermès (2006) would launch, virtually stealing the thunder of the similar preceding L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu (2004); must be some irony in there somewhere. Just a beautiful fresh, green, soft chypre that is instant good mood in a bottle. Hunting down older specimens can be a rather pricey affair for those addicted to oakmoss, but this was always made to wear light (also like Eau Sauvage), so all you're paying for is a moss-dominated skin scent for deep vintage. A classic! Thumbs up!
28th August, 2020
I usually dislike green fragrances but this one is very fresh without being light. It’s got some sweetness from the citrus fruit and performs well.
13th November, 2018
In The Forest Of Fontainebleau Carry by Pierre Auguste Renoir
10th June, 2018
I tried this years ago and while I couldn't afford it, I liked it. I tried it again today. Although I can now afford it and the opening is as compelling as I remember it, the dry down is certainly not my favorite. EdC is decent in silage and longevity and quite an interesting green composition. But after extensive sniffing I have realized that oakmoss gives me a kind of headache. Mossy is true for EdC's dry down and therefore I regret to say this classic is not for me. But all considered this is remarkably classic and relevant. If you like green do try EdC.
04th May, 2018
BLUF: A fantastic, uplifting, sharp, absolutely rock-solid green fragrance. Effortlessly unisex. I am surprised there isn't more talk about this one. *Review based on most current formulation.

From what I understand, this is Jean Claude Ellena's first commercial release. It is very, very nice. A refreshing light green scent with a sparkling lemon note in the opening. Seems like it would only get better on a hot day. Soapy fresh, mossy/grassy, herbal, and natural smelling bitter green notes with some vetiver showing up later on.

I can't help but wonder if this partially inspired Christopher Street by Charenton Macerations. This came out in 1974 and Christopher Street smells like it came out in 2074. It's like Eau de Campagne from the future. A surrealist version, if you will.

The vegetal notes in this are quite realistic, so bright and clean that I'd considering carrying some around with me, in the event I find myself in a shitty mood. Perhaps this could take the place of those "sun lamps" for people who get bummed out by Winter gloom. For me, this is a good mood in a bottle.

I would consider getting rid of a half-dozen other fragrances and replacing them with this. Only drawback is longevity, but I don't really expect anything in this genre to last all day on my skin. Easy thumbs-up for me.
09th August, 2016
The first fragrance by J-C Ellena? It is also one of his best, at least for me. I really enjoy the herbal-green-freshness since it suits me perfectly here in the hot, humid climate. It is not very long-lasting, but what is here in the tropics where scents are beaten into submission. Just keep on spraying is a perfectly fine solution.

Completely unisex and a keeper.
13th February, 2015

Add your review of Eau de Campagne

Shop for Eau de Campagne products online

Shop for Eau de Campagne at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Eau de Campagne

There are no member images of Eau de Campagne yet. Why not be the first?