Purple Label (2003)

HouseRalph Lauren
SupplierFirmenich
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Purple Label

Targetting the luxury segment, this new RL scent is aimed at thirty year old men and will be available in a very limited number of US stores. (around 100, rather than the 2000+ that RL scents are normally available.)

Reviews of Purple Label

Ralph Lauren Purple Label is the longstanding exclusive fragrance of the house--that is, most retailers don't sell it. I only see it online at the RL website and Barney's. It lingers between the main collection and the high-end collection, and to many, conjures Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street.

While I wasn't a fan of Bleecker Street, I'm a fan of Purple Label. It's a great floral/fruity bouquet on top of a woody base, with notes of blackberry, coriander, citrus, woods, and musk factoring most prominently for me.

It's unfortunately not much of a performer but lends itself to light and casual wearing, particularly in warmer weather. Pricing isn't bad, either, at $105 for 125ml, surely cheaper at retail than Bleecker Street on discount, if nothing else.

There have been rumors over the past couple years of its discontinuation but it remains available online at Barney's and I've seen it in my local RL store where I bought my bottle.

It's a nice grab, a reasonable casual option for light wearing that is by no means cheap but still agreeable and much more affordable than niche counterparts, performance notwithstanding.

7 out of 10
11th July, 2019
A subdued but highly enjoyable fragrance. Yes, it is sweet, but is also slightly dusky from the tobacco, thyme and oakmoss. I have thoroughly enjoyed this fragrance all day long. The sweetness from the blackberry note in the opening has lingered all day, but does mellow during the wear. The mandarin note also lingers and is a big part of the dry down. It's definitely not a sillage beast, but what a pleasant skin scent! I've found another Ralph Lauren fragrance to love. Original Polo will always be my favorite from this house, but I really do love this one too! And, purple has always been my favorite color to boot! Seriously though, this is a refined and enjoyable fragrance and I'm so happy to have it in my rotation.
04th September, 2017
Smokey, spicy/woody and unmistakenly masculine. And not in the old school macho way, just not feminine or fruity/floral in any way.

This actually projected very well on my skin and lasted the entire workday.
16th March, 2017
I dont think this is quite the same as it used to be this is my formal wear go to. Im on my 3rd bottle always buy directly from polo, but this last one smells diffrent it was unavailable for around a year before i was able to get the last purchase. The mahogany and mandarin blend is what always comes thru when i smell its still there just diffrent than it used to be still love it. It lasts all night you will smell it when you take your shirt off even with light use.
02nd January, 2017
Really nice, sleeper scent from Ralph Lauren (evidently matched up with the Purple Label clothing line also from Ralph Lauren). Has a clean, distinctive, watery quality to it, reminiscent of Rykiel Homme Grey (also a HUGE favorite of mine)and Versace Metal Jeans. Wish it would last longer on me, but overall a very comforting scent that doesn't disappoint.
14th November, 2016
A dry and smokey mahogany with wisps of mandarin incense. Restrained spice. The whole thing is restrained. A toned-down and tamed L'Eau d'Issey Intense. Disappointing longevity.
11th September, 2016 (last edited: 10th September, 2016)

Add your review of Purple Label