New Haarlem (2003)

PerfumerMaurice Roucel
Parent CompanyLaurice & Co

About New Haarlem

From the Bond No. 9 press release:

What more fitting locale than Harlem, legendary for its on-the-edge verve, to riff on our lush, lingering, intoxicating brew of bergamot, cedarwood, coffee, vanilla, patchouli, and lavender? If George Gershwin had been a perfumer, these are the notes he'd have used for this burnished perfume rhapsody. A stunning about-face after the light splash-scents of the past decade, New Haarlem captures the out-on-the-town elegance and the proud, bold independence of one of the great neighborhoods of New York–--and the world. It's also our entre nous way of thanking the rap musicians and rock artists who've come downtown to buy Bond No. 9's original fragrances. With New Haarlem, Bond No. 9 returns the favor.

New Haarlem fragrance notes

Reviews of New Haarlem

Just got a bottle of this hard to find juice and WOW I’m blown away. Being a huge Roucel fan to begin with, I was fairly certain I’d love it. I get slight coffee, burnt sugar, caramel, and maple syrup balanced with lavender and woods. The lavender and woods keep it grounded and almost masculine even though it has so many gourmand notes. An absolute stunner and one of Roucel’s best in my opinion.
17th June, 2020
I love coffee..but this..this is 3 sprays of headache. You wanna headache? It gets cloying and over the top in no time. Spray more than 3 to get a stuffing migraine. The coffee is on the last part..too subtle and stick close to skin..nobody will notice it. And the coffee isnt like real coffee at all..its like a simulation that doesnt work. Dont blind buy this. Not for everyone.
18th December, 2019
I love maple syrup. The idea of a fragrance that smells like pancakes and coffee sounded amazing to me, so I knew I had to give this a try. And to be honest, it doesn't disappoint. It's a lovely scent.

I don't know if the performance is quite as strong as some make it out to be. Upon reading that it was pretty nuclear I skimped a bit on my spraying to eke another wearing or two out of my sample. I put a spritz (from a small 1ml sample) on each wrist and one on the neck. It doesn't project too strongly, the longevity is there, but on me it seems to sit pretty close to the skin. I don't mind terribly as I find myself going back to sniff at my wrist periodically throughout the day.

My biggest grievance is that they took this one away now that I love it! The only bottles I see available are on Amazon and most of the Ebay decanters have sketchy (ie. seemingly fake positive) reviews. I managed to order a 10ml from a seemingly legit decanting website. I'll have to see for sure if it's the real deal once it comes in.
30th August, 2019
Amazing!!

I will state for the record that I an not a massive fan of the house of Bond. NH is most definitely the exception. Amazing gourmand with memories of coffee, syrup, sugar and the likes. Great staying power and although a gourmand it still gives off quite a classy vibe.

Alongside Pure Tonka, this is my favorite full on gourmand. The only issue I have is that Pure Tonka smells so similar to NH that it is hard to justify the price especially as NH as now been discontinued pushing prices even higher.
04th May, 2019 (last edited: 06th July, 2019)
When you don't overspray, it's so soothing. 8 hours later, you still know it's there. An urban gourmand, reminding you that no matter how busy a city street can be in the morning, a good coffee shop is always a calming place, a retreat. Sure, when you hear "lavender coffee" you could imagine some kind of hipster barista drink. Quite not the case. In fact, with New Haarlem I could never imagine something eatabble or drinkable, although the notes are technically there. More like the air of it: Starbucks on a busy corner, an experience both solitary and shared, serene and upliftng at the same time.
29th January, 2019
This smells so good, I want to spray it on a plate and eat it. It is a GREAT night-time, bedtime, dating (at home) scent. It's the stuff you would wear in a cozy environment like at a single's retreat to draw ALL of the attention, or in the cabin with a fire going. It gets compliments even on paper. I can't imagine wearing it in an office setting unless you're "on the hunt".
29th August, 2018