1876 Mata Hari (2001)

1876 Mata Hari information

Year of Launch2001

HouseHistoires de Parfums

About 1876 Mata Hari

Mata Hari, meaning "the eye of day" in Malay. A nice discovery for this famous spy, whose captivating beauty and taste for adventure built up an out of the common destiny. That’s why the most exhilarating of flowers, the spicy rose is at the heart of this mysterious perfume.

1876 Mata Hari fragrance notes

Reviews of 1876 Mata Hari

Citrus, slight sweetness, rose, powdery iris, violet, cumin, cinnamon, and carnation grab me, on the top end of this fragrance. The top and heart notes all at the same time, I've experienced this phenomenon before.

The powdery accord lingers a bit then takes on a smoky amber vibe. It mysteriously smells like an incense or patchouli. The cumin here is not overdone. Sandalwood makes its presence known, as well as musk and vanilla.

I don't think Mata Hari is an overly creative fragrance. I do thoroughly enjoy its onrush of notes. It is easy to wear and very feminine, to me.

I get more of a powdery and sweet essence as it wears on.
19th November, 2018
iobhai Show all reviews
You're a ground squirrel in the summer and you're on a mission to stock up on nuts and seeds for the winter. But, you've been a bad squirrel, unknowingly pissing off your human neighbors by digging up their rose garden. To start your day, you return to a soft patch of soil under some roses to check on a stash of goodies that you buried a few days ago, and when you arrive, you're shocked and horrified at what you find: cumin/caraway seeds all over the place. (For squirrelkind, it's a known deterrent, I mean, haven't you read about it in the Annals of Human-Squirrel Myths and Legends?) You quickly abort the mission and, while gagging, you scamper back through the thick roses over to the carnations and iris flowers to think up some better plans for the winter. 1876 by Histoires de Parfums.
25th February, 2018
The Dead Mother and the Child by Edvard Munch 1897-99 Munch Museum, Oslo, Norway
23rd December, 2017
Aiona Show all reviews
Opening blast is sharp alcohol and Vitalis-like smell. Then it quickly dries down to baby powder and Vitalis. I'm guessing the Vitalis-smell is from the bergamot? Carnation? The baby powder smell is pretty intense, and it literally smells like Johnson's and Johnson's baby powder, which I like, as smells go, but I'm not sure I want to smell like. Rose is tricky for me. If someone tells me it's in there, I realize it's in there. And so once I read what the notes are, yes, it's very obvious. This is baby powder and ROSE. Honestly, although I don't have a bottle of Tabu with me to compare, the scent profile makes me think of Tabu. Very strong and powdery, like Tabu. Same sharp opening, even. I remember when I tried Tabu, I was like, "UGH! TURPENTINE!" (maybe because the sprayer sucked, and it ended up drenching me). For Mata Hari (aka 1876), I sampled from one of their small 2.0 ML spray bottles, and the sprayer did a nice job of squirting but not drenching me. Baby powder and rose. I got this as a gift, so I'm not sure how much it costs, but I'm guessing Tabu is cheaper.
21st December, 2016
Ingenious use of litchi, sneaked into the thick of the recipe to poke its frills out at every other turn. A powdery but sometimes sharp spiced rose with an underlying funk, like Hammam Bouquet on the prowl. Her floral coterie are with her but Rose is the star tonight. The drydown is depressingly stark after all the fun I had before it, with a dry and dreary weight suggesting the whole experience was a drug trip on a night out, but man, what a night it was!
Out of a 10-sample pack from HdP Mata Hari was the last one I tried because it didn't sound so compelling in print. I get really excited when I am this wrong.
01st February, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
The freshness of bergamot adds to a fruity opening of of lychee with a fennel note in the background - very interesting and unusual. In the drydown herbal impressions mix with a darker rose, cumin and cinnamon to a delectable mix. The base des some woodsy sweetness with a reasonable sandalwood mixed with vanilla, with white musk and guaiac added in the last hour.

Quite convincing, well executed with moderate sillage, good orojection and six hours of longevity on my skin. A prettycreative HdP product especially initially. 3/5
13th April, 2015