Vetiver pour Elle (2004)

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Vetiver pour Elle

A floral-vetiver scent - a partner to the classic Guerlain male scent. Available in limited distribution.

Vetiver pour Elle fragrance notes

Reviews of Vetiver pour Elle

I saw this in Charles de Gaulle Duty Free as it was originally developed, and didn't buy it - now I kick myself. A few years later I tried (and buyed) at the Place Vendome boutique for a much higher price. I ration it because now its discontinued. All the great reviews here are accurate, a most creative and beautiful take on Vetiver, totally unisex. I make it last by only wearing a few drops when I wear the men's Vetiver. The combination is fantastic.
21st October, 2020
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening blast of this limited edition combines a citrus element - ripe orange with a whiff of mandarin - with a restrained bergamot and touches of muguet. Pleasant, and soon this is given additional depth by the addition of a nutmeg notes, which is displaying nigh-clove like characteristics too at times.

The drydown adds a good jasmine and a soft and quite bright neroli. A bit of honeysuckle that is added remains disappointingly perfunctory, whilst a subtle pink pepper adds a weak general spicy undertone.

The base brings in a soft vetiver without any harsh or earthy characteristic. The rest, a rather uneventful standard tonka bathed in white musks, and a nonspecific wood note - moments of a laboratory sandalwood are the exception - rounds of this olfactory trajectory.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and a superb longevity of eleven hours on my skin.

Not really close to the original, this scent for cooler spring days opens in an agreeable fashion, but is characterised by its generic and sometimes predictable nature. Overall 2.75/5.
08th April, 2020
"Soapy is sexy!"
Or so she said, leaving me
Scandalously clean.
23rd June, 2017
I agree with divus5 in that a truer name for this would have been Vetiver Light. The balance of florals and spice is fine and the vetiver they float over is refined and restrained.

As with their original of 1965, Guerlain focuses on the sweet, round leaf of the vetiver plant, rather than on its more pungent and drier root (go to Etro for the perfect root vetiver).

Although clove or carnation are not named in the scent tree, I am getting more of that vibe than that of the nutmeg as the spice contribution.

This is however not sufficiently different from Guerlain's original to seek out. Layering that with a bit of jasmine and carnation/clove oil might create a simiar effect. Overall, a nice variation on the original theme.
10th November, 2015
Genre: Woods

What was Guerlain thinking, putting together a composition like this, then deciding not to distribute it? While Guerlain Vetiver is many a vetiver lover’s benchmark, I’ve never been able to warm up to its staid - even stodgy - treatment of the title note. By contrast, Vetiver pour Elle is a much more exciting and original composition. Too bad you can’t actually buy it.

After a brisk lemon and bergamot opening, Vetiver pour Elle glides into an elegantly streamlined accord of clean, woody vetiver, green orange blossom, and nutmeg. This arrangement is more emphatically floral than any treatment of vetiver I’ve worn, save Mazzolari’s equally suave and transparent Vetyver. Wearing Mazzolari Vetyver and Vetiver pour Elle side-by-side somewhat eases the pain of Guerlain’s incomprehensible distribution strategy. While I can readily distinguish between the two, they are very closely related. Since the far less expensive Mazzolari (I never imagined I would say that!) is every bit the Guerlain’s equal in quality, it could easily fill the same green floral vetiver wardrobe slot.

Meanwhile, Guerlain, hows about you try selling this stuff somewhere? You just might make some money off of it…
07th July, 2014
divus5 Show all reviews
(This is discontinued so I bought blind, a 10ml sample on ebay)

I need to start by saying Guerlain's Vetiver is one of my favorites. Pour Elle should have been called "Vetiver Light". If you really dont like this house's regular Vetiver stay away from this one. Vetiver is still the dominant note here and there are more common traits than differences. I dont think Pour Elle works well for 99% of the women out there, its not a feminine scent. Users can gender-bend all they want with fragrances, it still does not mean its in good taste. I think of Pour Elle as a beautiful men's scent....that lasts for two hours and shows no guts during the mid/late drydown. It's also 3 to 4 times the price of the regular Vetiver.

Guerlain did everything to make this a feminine scent and in the end it fails everyone. You will never make a convincing Vetiver fragrance for women and this is where the designers stumbled from the beginning. Its like asking a woman to wear a necktie--just riduculous. And then theres knowing that this could have been one of the GREAT scents for men. The floral opening and the transition to vetiver is amazing. Pretty close to being a masterpiece for men...hopefully they can salvage it but considering all the missteps on this one I seriously doubt it.

07th June, 2014 (last edited: 10th June, 2014)

Add your review of Vetiver pour Elle