Frank No. 1 (2004)

Frank No. 1 information

Year of Launch2004

HouseFrank Los Angeles

About Frank No. 1

Frank No. 1 is a masculine fragrance by Frank Los Angeles. The scent was launched in 2004

Reviews of Frank No. 1

TLDR: OK (2.25/5). A fougere in the "lots of differing notes fighting it out" style of the less successful men's scents of the 1970s & 1980s. Not for me.

There are lot's of strongly favorable reviews for this fragrance here and elsewhere and the note list looks interesting, but on my skin, it just didn't work out.

At each phase of the scent progression, there is something a bit "off" in the composition of this fragrance. The bright citrus of the opening is nicely accented by juniper and pink pepper, which are given a further green, minty kick by what I am guessing is either violet leaf, geranium or tomato leaf. If things had stopped there, I think the opening would seem nice and uplifting. But there is a heavy cardamom note in the opening that seems to drag things into a disharmony & that I find quite off-putting.

Similarly, there are both tea and coffee notes in the floral heart of the fragrance that battle one another. I know some folks like tea mixed with coffee. When I used to travel to Hong Kong in happier, healthier times, colleagues took me to several cafes where blended coffee and tea were house specialities. I did not Like it as a drink there and I don't like it as a scent here.

By the time the dry down is complete, a base with an interesting woody leather feel is, for me, ruined by the addition of an anise note.

The fragrance is well blended, which in this case is a disadvantage because the disharmony is rendered seamless. The overall impression is that this scent is just trying too hard to distinguish itself from other complex fougeres of the past and not quite pulling it off.

This review is based on a decant and before posting the negative review I was able to get a spray from a full bottle owned by a relative. This "reality check" only confirmed my prior observations.

I will set this aside for some time and revisit it again to see if my opinion changes. If it does, I will update.

For now, this one is a thumbs down. The quality of the components seems high here, so on your skin this one may work out well. Sample first. The rating here is OK because it isn't unpleasant, just unlikable on my skin.
28th March, 2021
Not my thing. The cardamom mixed with the mate tea note and the coffee leaves me cold. I don't generally like tea notes and this one is no exception. Projects pretty well, and I was ready to scrub after a few hours.
04th July, 2019
I never tried the Frank Los Angeles Frank No. 1 original release from 2004 but ordered the trio of Nos 1,2,3 in 2016 and in trying No. 1, I get a classic fougere, a refined barbershop scent that could easily be a man's signature scent.

The opening mix of green and citrus dries down into a masculine mix of tobacco and leather, a relatively safe combination that does have a very slight but remote sweetness. I'd use this more during the day than at night, as it's not too heavy or distractive.

It's a little too borderline to be one that I'd reach for often and frequently as a signature scent that I could make my own, certainly not along the lines of a Chanel Pour Monsieur or Dior Eau Sauvage, but it's an option that some men might find to be a good fit for them.

At $130 for 100ml EDP, as the online reviewer Brad puts it, it's appropriately priced for a small house, but in my opinion, it's pricey if you don't find it exceptional.

7 out of 10
24th October, 2016
Herbal, green and citrus in a light way. Never cloying or overbearing. A lot of notes in this one, but it all comes together very well. Unisex fragrance that would be good year round. 7/10
19th April, 2015
drseid Show all reviews
Frank for Men opens with a mild peppery angelica, coupling with tart citric grapefruit and subtle mint leaf that lingers for a few minutes on skin before gradually transitioning to the scent's herb-laced green tea heart with the peppery angelica and mint remaining as support. The overall effect comes off as a fresh peppery grassy green herbal accord. The green nature remains through the linear dry-down as the angelica recedes and the soft tea facets are more at the fore, tempered by an extremely small amount of sandalwood that could easily go unnoticed. Projection is average and longevity is very good at about 10 hours.

Frank for Men was a blind buy after I was relatively impressed with their completely different follow-up release, No. 2. Unfortunately, the angelica and green tea here comes off as a bit off-balanced; and while I like the use of angelica when properly implemented like in the excellent Angeliques Sous La Pluie, here it just seems a bit out of place. If you buy this, please understand Frank for Men is pretty much green all the way with little development after the herbal and tart citric open that is the best part of the scent. I love green scents, but tend to enjoy the coniferous aspects and not fresh grassy green as much (which is what this is). If you like the sound of peppered grassy green tea then this very reasonably priced scent at $65 for 65ml will most likely appeal to you and prove an excellent value, but I don't, so it gets an average to slightly above average 2.5 to 3 star out of 5 rating from me.
22nd December, 2012 (last edited: 23rd December, 2012)
I would describe Frank No. 1 as a spicy, flowery and transparent tea fragrance which turns slightly powdery on skin - IN A PLEASANT WAY! Think spiced water lilies swimming peacefully in a green tea pond along with some leaves. It's not feminine but not your classic men's fragrance either.
13th March, 2012

Add your review of Frank No. 1

Shop for Frank No. 1 products online

Search on ebay

Member images of Frank No. 1

There are no member images of Frank No. 1 yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]