Cuir Beluga (2005)

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerOlivier Polge
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Cuir Beluga

Part of the 'L’Art et la Matière' collection launched in 2005, where different perfumers create a scent based around a "raw material". The line is available at the flagship Champs-Elysees store.

Cuir Beluga fragrance notes

Reviews of Cuir Beluga

Though lovely, this has nothing to do with smelling like leather. It's more like the softest, finest suede. It is fairly linear and upon first sniff it smells like the most expensive play-dough. There is a whiff of cherry and almond there, eventually going into gourmand territory with its vanilla base -- powdery with fluffs of heliotrope and the warmth of amber.
This stays close to the skin. Persistently clingy, personal. Not a sillage monster either.
I would find this difficult for a guy to pull off, unless you like doing parody. Or want to strut your stuff -- as a dandy.

A Guerlain, nonetheless. Though the price-point is a tad steep.
27th March, 2020 (last edited: 30th March, 2020)
If you're wondering why Guerlain named their leather after a type of sturgeon - don't worry, Cuir Beluga doesn't smell like caviar, the word simply means white in Russian. And if that brings to mind Cuir de Russie you're thinking along the right lines; not that this is anything like the Chanel classic. Being little more than a white 'suede' floral on a base of fudge Cuir Beluga is actually more like a bad iris gourmand. If its Russian leather you want get the Chanel.

05th January, 2019
It smells not exactly like suede, but it smells like a high end store that sells suede. It's delicious, opulent, and a little smokey. There's a lot of depth to the scent. It's also quite long lasting.

I'd call this perfume is my long lost love. I discovered it in an Oliver Polge sampler set and it sent me down a rabbit hole of trying any and all Guerlains, but no other was as lovely.

It became my most expensive perfume buy last year and I was initially disappointed at the new bottle. Fresh and from the atomizer, it has a very bright amaretto note. It made me worry that there was a reformulation or even that my initial sample had been compromised. Luckily, a knowledgeable friend suggested that I try decanting into roller ball bottle and apply that way. It really does smell better dabbed or rolled on compared to the spray. Also, now that the perfume has aged a year it has definitely settled down to match my original decant.
19th October, 2017
The initial impression I get is that of a dark, smoky vanilla, as if frankincense was being blended with coumarin. It’s pretty much linear for me, no development. With the heliotrope note I expected something close to L’Heure Bleue, Apres L’Ondee or the house of Etro’s Heliotrope. What I don’t get is any leather at all, not even suede, which at least a hint of orris would have provided. Cuir Ottoman does come to mind but the musks in that powerhouse were brutally magnificent and here they are much softer. It’s almost impossible to include immortelle in a fragrance without it taking center stage with its burn sugar caramel note, but here it is quite shy, just perking up the corners of the dark musks used.

While not blown away by this, it is certainly quite good. Certainly lovers of vanilla/musk scents should give it a try.
21st June, 2017
Another impossibly beautiful Guerlain masterpiece. If you've made it this far into your Guerlain research, and you haven't sniffed Cuir Beluga yet, you still have at least one extreme treat to look forward to. At exactly the moment at which you've decided that Guerlain can't add anything new and pertinent to the vanilla/Guerlainade conversation, along comes Cuir Beluga to blow the doors wide open again. Layer in gorgeous suede/leather notes, with an extraordinarily beautiful powdery effect on top, a little heliotrope sheen in the middle, and you have another excuse to praise the gods of fragrance. Cuir Beluga is a bona fide masterpiece, one of Guerlain's crown jewels. High likelihood you'll fall in love. It's pretty irresistible. Don't overthink, just surrender to the loveliness of Cuir Beluga.
05th May, 2017 (last edited: 07th May, 2017)
I'm unsure about this one. I love it most of the time for the powdery leather and vanilla. Then I get some animalistic notes in whiffs I find hard to go through. I always find some weird notes in this line. It's like the fragrance is saying: "you've got to deserve me". "Stay with me and I'll put a veil around you for many hours." "You'll love me, you'll hate me." It could easily be worn by men as well.

Edit: I actually bought it. I love the mandarine in the leather. I love how feminine it is, without getting too feminine. So good.

Edit bis: I’m a bit disappointed now that I noticed the dry down (once the leather is gone, after 10 minutes) is like a very cheap vanilla fragrance I bought in a French supermarket. I won’t buy it again.
24th April, 2017 (last edited: 27th February, 2018)

Add your review of Cuir Beluga

Shop for Cuir Beluga products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Cuir Beluga

There are no member images of Cuir Beluga yet. Why not be the first?