Terre d'Hermès (2006)

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingPhilippe Mouquet

About Terre d'Hermès

Terre d'Hermès – meaning 'Earth of Hermès' – was launched in March 2006. Perfumer, Jean-Claude Ellena was inspired in the creation of the fragrance by the works of author, Jean Giono.

The fragrance features notes of orange, gunflint, flint, vetiver and benzoin. The bottle was designed by Hermès designer, Philippe Mouquet, and features an 'H' cut into the base of the bottle.

The fragrance was joined by a Parfum version in 2009, and more recently Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche in 2014.

Hermès say:

The history of an alchemic journey through the elements: earth, air and water. A woody, vegetal and mineral eau de toilette

Terre d'Hermès fragrance notes

Reviews of Terre d'Hermès

In the Pacific Northwest Puget Sound area there are is no shortage of trees and a plethora of 'chainsaw carvers' that take wood and create just about anything(my folks had a life size Captain Ahab with lantern and a bear cub for some reason). Every September there is the Western Washington(Puyallup) Fair which is one of the largest and oldest in the United States. I remember many times going into the chainsaw carving area where there would be live demonstrations and of course many pieces for sale. Walking into the fresh sawdust and newly cut wood was simply intoxicating, fresh and aromatic. The best representation of that amazing scent...Terre D'Hermes! In fact I had forgotten all about that scent until I smelled TdH, and it was instant love and a guaranteed fave. My nose simply fixates on the wood without picking up much of the opening. One of the best fragrance discoveries I've had and worthy of all praise. Total thumbs up.
28th September, 2020
The world needs another review of Terre like it needs a hole in the ozone layer, so I'll keep it brief: citrus doesn't get much better than this. Immediate warmth and ongoing freshness. Yes, it does fulfil the "earth" brief. I don't think this will get old any time soon.
25th September, 2020
Some may think this is just artificial orange. But if so, it’s like Tang shot out of the barrels of Josey Wales’ pistols. It’s so classy in an era where so much isn’t. Want to feel like a million bucks? You can’t go wrong with this. Pure gold and a modern classic.
13th August, 2020 (last edited: 29th November, 2020)
Just a harmless, boring, citrus fragrance. Light and simple. A nice little citrus thing. Nothing really special or unique and definitely not a masterpiece. No "terre" at all. It's pretty basic. I've never really understood the hype for this because it seems pretty basic and without a wowing factor. Still pretty nice though.
30th May, 2020 (last edited: 24th October, 2020)
Not much I can add that hasn't already been said. It's a truly fantastic classic.
A year ago, I never would've thought I'd find an orangey, flinty, Vetiver-based fragrance very appealing, but it's amazing. Funny thing is, I only finally got this more recently, after having both the Parfum, and the newer Fraiche version (which feels like an eau de cologne in terms of strength comparisons). Those flankers are alright, but not nearly as good as this original EDT. I like it a lot.
03rd May, 2020
Excellent. Modern classic for a reason. It’s masculine and mature, but not at all brutal or belligerent. Very much the grandson of Guerlain Vetiver.

Personally I prefer the TDH Parfum for it’s simpler, beefier take on the accord, less of an Orange pith smell (I could swear I get bigarade, but that could simply be grapefruit and geranium interacting) and amplified mineral flint, but the EDT is a more friendly choice for hot weather.

As expected the EDT also has more pronounced top notes and better projection. My recommendation is to just have both and compare them.
03rd February, 2020

Add your review of Terre d'Hermès

Shop for Terre d'Hermès products online

Shop for Terre d'Hermès at online perfumeries

Search on eBay