Sel de Vétiver (2007)

HouseThe Different Company
PerfumerCéline Ellena
PackagingThierry de Baschmakoff

About Sel de Vétiver

Sel de Vétiver is a shared / unisex perfume by The Different Company. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Céline Ellena. The bottle was designed by Thierry de Baschmakoff

Sel de Vétiver fragrance notes

Reviews of Sel de Vétiver

Bluest Show all reviews
My first niche purchase, so for that reason it holds a special place. The description is pretty accurate with a salty vetiver and does have some smokiness. There is nothing else out there that I have tried that smells similar. Definitely unique.
I will say I was wearing it one day in an enclosed room. Someone walked in and said, "It smells like paint in here!" Pretty sure they were smelling Sel de Vetiver. :)
02nd June, 2020
Very mediocre. Firstly, has poor performance on me, notably projection, being mostly a skin scent. Longevity is ok at around 4-6 hours, but it's just so weak!

Smells itself is nice, but umm.. I have Lagerfeld Bois de Vetiver, which smells nearly identical, and costs much less. I get a salty vetiver opening, more emphases on a sea breeze/salty nuance than the vetiver. It isn't until about 10 minutes on skin where the grapefruit and salty accord die off til I get a vetiver note, which is a carbon copy of the vetiver in Bois de Vetiver.

There's nothing about smell and quality here than scream niche to me. Maybe mid range designer. Had this been $55 or so a bottle, it would be a thumbs up, but at its price tag now, no way.

Take away the salty acidic grapefruit top note that lasts, oh maybe 10 minutes, and I'm left with Bos de Vetiver. I'll keep my wallet full and take that one instead, performs much better too!
06th September, 2019
A disappointment considering the positive reviews.
To me it is a mild version of CdG Hinoki. A mild sour dentist mouthwash. Sounds worse than it is. It's actually pleasant enough but not worth buying in any amount. My wife hates it. At least Hinoki is more playful although it garnered the most looks in a tube train I have ever had and I am not sure whether is was because they liked it. Maybe an olfactory surprise that they had to make their minds up about. That's ok, but this SdV is not even playful. It won't stimulate any thought or conversation. Hence neutral.

Fragrance: 6.10
Projection: 7/10
Longevity: 7/10
20th December, 2018
Paris/Barges on the Seine Bank by Vallotton Felix Vallotton

Father And Daughter by Michael Dudok de Wit 2000 time 7:13 7:30
23rd July, 2018
Sel de Vetiver is a fruity-floral vetiver with a prominent salty character. There is a grapefruit note, which is not juicy - but rather sharp, piercing and somewhat synthetic. I get a floral accord of geranium with some other elements, and there is a vague peppery facet. There is also a slight metallic attribute. The vetiver blooms late in the dry down, but around this time it becomes rather muted. Duration is average at around five hours, and sillage is discreet and somewhat thin.

Sel de Vetiver reminds me a bit of Guerlain Vetiver (structurally), Sel Marin (for the salty attribute), Infusion de Vetiver (in temperament) and Vetyverio (for the florals). While Sel de Vetiver does have a bit of novelty, it is disappointingly thin, sharp, at-times harsh and eventually insubstantial. The sharp harshness does eventually improve in the dry down, but by then it is only a basic vetiver and nothing more. Any of the aforementioned vetivers would be more compelling alternatives.

2.5/5
15th September, 2017
I join the small number of dissenters. Sel de Vetiver is often equated with Heeley’s Sel Marine as a welcomed, warm-weather-friendly, sea-related fragrance without dreaded calone. A strong salt-mineral note with vetiver should be a match made in heaven, but in this case I fear the match was made by a slightly schizophrenic angel.

First, as Colin notes in his review, the minerally salt note is mostly just an opening trick that is not well sustained. As he also observes, and which michailG amplifies, the vetiver in Sel de Vetiver is informed by Guerlain’s classic vetiver, which is to say that it is somewhat rooty, earthy, and overall autumnal in tone. drseid with characteristic incisiveness comments that, in a perhaps failed attempt to give it some needed fluidity and lift, this vetiver presentation has an added celery note. While celery would not seem to be a wildly incongruous match with vetiver, in this case it interacts in a weird way that fails to make the already mismatched and earthbound chorus any more harmonious.

I just don’t see how this mix delivers the refreshment that many seek from Sel de Vetiver. It seems to me that a brighter, more uplifting style of vetiver presentation (along the lines of Prada’s original Infusion de Vetiver, etc.) would have been more stylistically fitting and would not have overshadowed the salt note so completely. Is the end result really so terrible? No. Simply consider it a part of the well-established, darker, rooty vetiver style with a dash of somewhat misguided creative cookery. But from what I gather, this likely is a far cry from what most consumers expect when they ponder purchasing Sel de Vetiver.
27th July, 2017

Add your review of Sel de Vétiver

Shop for Sel de Vétiver products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Sel de Vétiver

There are no member images of Sel de Vétiver yet. Why not be the first?