L'Air du Désert Marocain (2005)
by Tauer

L'Air du Désert Marocain information

Year of Launch2005

HouseTauer
PerfumerAndy Tauer

About L'Air du Désert Marocain

L'Air du Désert Marocain is a shared / unisex perfume by Tauer. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Andy Tauer

L'Air du Désert Marocain fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Air du Désert Marocain

Beautiful Barbie car, vanilla toothpaste. Chewy sugar cookie dough. I detected lily pollen at one point. Love it right away but thought it was not projecting at first. Smoke started about half an hour in for me when I discovered that I was sniffing too close. It’s as if I pulled apart an Oreo and spread the white cream on my neck. My hands smell very young, like on of those baby teething cookies. A wet drooled on one. 9:30am to 3:30pm and I'm still getting little whiffs though they are a slightly less exciting powder now. I love the scent, but I never got the cumin at all and there is no cedar wood to speak of. I have night blooming jasmine right outside my bedroom window and this doesn’t smell similar. Maybe this is supposed to be more of the purple jasmine shrub not the white jasmine creepers?

There used to be a mall shop that sold native american jewelry and they also sold these candles in blue wine glasses. They only came in one scent. They called it “...something rain.” Wish I could remember because it was very similar to a bright but rounded out ylang ylang and I'm remembering it so clearly. I wouldn't expect most people would get the complexity in this scent. You really have to sit in it over time to get more than two notes. Because it’s so playful and young in my mind, it can’t feel expensive.

This scent pushes my body odor towards brown sugar over time when applied directly to da zones. I thought people were crazy saying they feel the sting of the desert air when inhaling because the scent seems so soft and well tempered but then I got it. To me, this is more of a headache stab than a spicy sting but I see what they are saying now. Wouldn’t use the word “spicy” though; It’s pretty cushy.

There is also a pinch of dirty grit in the dry down like dark soil with worms. Really had to look for it though. I think it’s coming partially from me personally (brown sugar dirt) which makes me think I should try the flanker. My skin loves the formulation but it’s not the right style for the Daily I’m seeking and I’m on a budget. I’d want my linens to smell like this forever but not really my body. Better for Women.
23rd September, 2020
Another overly, insanely hyped fragrance that does not deliver. Its main problem: the rose note. Not all roses are created equal, and this rose is a medicinal, eucalyptic-licorice rose that is neither friendly not airy. It maybe your type of rose, though, so it's worth trying for sure.

Like all the other Tauers I've tried so far, this is well composed and thoughtful. It is pleasing from beginning to end, although I really wish the rose note can be improved, which is unlikely given all the strange, inexplicable hype around this fragrance.

The distant dry down brings down the volume of the rose note and amplifies a note that smells like vanilla to me. Still welcome, still not mind blowing.
10th September, 2020 (last edited: 11th September, 2020)
Andy Tauer has re-released this as a solid perfume, and this new form presents an opportunity to revisit what is one of the truly iconic niche fragrances.

There's not much to say about L'Air du Désert Marocain that hasn't already been said: a dry, spicy, smoky scent with a vetiver/ambergris base that evokes sweeping desert winds. It's still distinctive even if it has its descendants, because it still doesn't really have a "mainstream" parallel. There are niche descendants out there--Eight & Bob Nuit de Megeve being one of the more recent ones I've sampled--but none of them do this quite as well.

It's perfectly balanced, and in solid form it's now more wearable and seductive than it's been before: less of a bracing shout than a gentle emanation.

Au Coeur du Désert, its extrait-form flanker, adds some depth and softness; it's the Encre Noire a L'Extreme to L'Air's Encre Noire.
11th April, 2020
A good fragrance for the right person.

This, like all of the Tauer fragrances that I've sampled, is of high quality, and the attention to detail and craftsmanship that Andy Tauer invests in his line is quite evident.

The initial sniff upon application is a vetiver-y incense with a faint, soft powdery undertone to it, thanks to the rock rose and jasmine. Then, in a similar vein to Encens et Lavande (1996) by Serge Lutens, the volume increases significantly as the powdery aura dissipates a bit and the incense and vetiver ramp up. Forewarning: Don't overapply this. Spray, then give it a few minutes.

My issue with this is that although the materials are top quality, the vetiver, incense and ambergris make this an extremely dry perfume, one that almost "burns" the nostrils a bit, much as the desert air does. Now, for all intents and purposes, that's "mission accomplished" and Tauer has produced exactly what the name on the bottle is meant to invoke. But, like Incense Extreme (2008), which Tauer would release three years later, I think this is a terrific scent but one that I don't find to be very wearable. Again, this is based on my preference, and again, this in no way detracts from the quality of this fragrance. Tauer did a fantastic job with this. Although this is listed as unisex, I think this leans way into the masculine side of things. I wouldn't want to smell this on a woman, but that's my opinion.

Overall, a great scent, but one that requires a very specific time and place, and truthfully, I can't really come up with either for myself. Give it a try, though. The craftsmanship and attention to detail warrant that at the very least.

Thumbs up, but not for me.

22nd November, 2019
Leshutch Show all reviews
Bought a sample and fell in love with this at the first breath. Incense, heat, airy, dry, gentle, soft, smooth but makes my nose fizz in a wonderful way. In some beautiful way it feels familiar and so sensual.

A full bottle is already on order.

Perfect.
09th August, 2019
A light smoke opening, incense and spice on first application: the scent is very light, very airy. Woody-powdery notes come in the background after 10 minutes, hard to detect at first but become more prominent as time goes on. I'm really not getting much projection: unless I'm actively looking for the scent, I can barely detect its presence. I added extra application to make sure I It does last awhile as a purely skin scent, however: a solid 7-8 hours.

It's more masculine than feminine: enjoyable and well blended, but it lacks any projection on my skin. Very expensive, for me it's not worth it but I could see wearing it on cooler spring days. The cedar and vetiver basenotes are very good, a delicate spiciness: but there isn't enough, for me, to justify a full bottle purchase.

06th March, 2019