Jean Nate (1935)
by Revlon (originally by Jean Nate)

Jean Nate information

About Jean Nate

Jean Nate is a feminine perfume by Revlon. The scent was launched in 1935

Jean Nate fragrance notes

Reviews of Jean Nate

Apparently I'm not the only guy who appreciates the smell of Jean Naté and says this is more unisex than feminine. My grandfather swore before the female empowerment ads for Jean Naté in the 70's...quite a few barbershops used the talc powder by Jean Naté.

Very lemony and fresh with a moderately floral opening. This gets a little sweet and musky with light hints of sandalwood. A very simple scent.

What's interesting is there is a men's fragrance called Boucheron Pour Homme (1991) and it's foundation notes remind me of this 1930's fragrance minus the musk and sweetness.Jean Naté may be cheap stuff, but it's a lemon scent that's aged rather well.
17th August, 2019 (last edited: 05th April, 2020)
Swanky Show all reviews
The concentrated cologne spray lasts all day, and due to its sharpness, may not be a perfect analog for the after bath splash with which most are familiar. It definitely skews unisex, with the musky bergamot and lemon combo bringing the classic masculine eau de cologne couple to the party. I also get the sandalwood and jasmine. This is definitely old school so try before you buy.
01st April, 2019
KLRich Show all reviews
Haven't tried this for ages but loved it 40 years ago so I bought after bath splash on a whim. It's nice but it doesn't last on me. When I first splash it on it evokes me on the beach 40 years ago...that's all I need!
03rd June, 2015
This is a review of vintage Charles of the Ritz Jean Nate in cologne strength.

A unique fougere - lemony, peppery, herbal. Very refreshing and very unisex. A marvel for 1935 when it premiered. I am amazed it was marketed for women and not men. Like Dana's Canoe, which premiered the year following, it is a great fougere, and although I can certainly see a woman wearing it, I feel it is too masculine to have been geared toward that market alone.

It dries down to a powdery version of the lemon/pepper/herb scent, but that is dead center and never totally disappears.

Top notes: Lemon, Lavender
Heart notes: Jasmine, Rose, Carnation, Muguet
Base notes: Cedar, Sandalwood, Tonka, Musk
03rd April, 2014
Like a summertime long ago

With well over a thousand different scents in my arsenal, why do I keep coming back to this one?

As a collector of vintage, I was really curious to know what this 'drugstore classic' smelled like, so I purchased a tub of talcum powder plus a pair of partial bottles of Eau de Cologne Concentrate (all vintage, Charles of the Ritz era).

I'm not sure if this scent was as popular in Australia as it was in America during the 60s/70s, but upon breaking open the paper seal on the talc tub, I was gripped by an overwhelming sense of nostalgia for that era (the time of my tweens, when summers seemed endless).

When the sun is shining, and particularly when I'm going to be wearing yellow, I often reach for my Jean Nate talc and EdCC immediately after showering. In fact, it's one of very few scents I keep in the bathroom. I'm hard pressed to think of anything else in my collection which perfectly captures the retro sunniness of JN.

I think JN is unique in its scent. Others have compared it to 4711, but it doesn't remind me of a traditional cologne - it's much weightier. To my nose, it's a lemony, powdery fougere with a floral heart of geranium, rose and carnation. A true retro delight.

Pros: refreshing, comforting, sunny
Cons:

25th June, 2013
Absolutely unisex, even more masculine than 4711. Simple, refreshing and best of all, a bargain any way you look at it. It will not set the world on fire, but it does what it supposed to do with efficiency.
Not my favorite "Acqua de Colonia" by any means, but it gets my thumbs up
01st March, 2012

Add your review of Jean Nate

Shop for Jean Nate products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Jean Nate

There are no member images of Jean Nate yet. Why not be the first?