Oud Wood (2007)

About Oud Wood

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Oud Wood fragrance notes

Reviews of Oud Wood

I had to register to Basenotes after 4 years of reading reviews... just to give my very first review, which will indeed be for Oud Wood by Tom Ford.

First of all, if you are looking for a fragrance with a real Oud smell, this one is definitely not for you. YSL M7 or Montale Black Aoud will definitely do the job. This one is very different from Oud fragrances.

Oud Wood has something difficult to explain. It requires a very small bottle that you can keep with you during the day (or night), as longevity is definitely an issue, as mentioned many times in the comments.

The ideal way of wearing Oud Wood is to spray at least 2 (if not 3 times) the fragrance in the exact same area of your body. Yes, you'll use it 3 times faster but that's the deal.
Then, you will find the better sillage you're looking for (especially at that price tag) and a projection of more than 1 meter. But even more, it will give its full oud and woody vibe that you expect from this fragrance. and get rid of the "cleaner" smell some may find in it.

I've smelled thousands of fragrances, bought at least 50 different ones. This one has something that can't be described. It leaves a mark on you, on people you meet, people you know, your friends, family, girlfriend or boyfriend. Having this fragrance as your signature scent is an exquisite feeling.

It's the number one question I get from colleagues, friends, dates, or one night stand "what's your fragrance?". Oud Wood has that super non-original vibe that allows you to wear it anywhere, even at the office, yet it has a signature that makes people ask what is that fragrance that filled the place in a few minutes.

I think the most important part is that you might get addicted to it, and your friends or people you meet too. Act like a rich kid and try to do 3 sprays for each area you put that fragrance to. I just bought my 4th bottle of 100ml (the lower versions are a scam, to avoid). I can't get enough of it.

It's reassuring, warm, enigmatic, deep, intriguing, spicy, yet fresh and flowery, but still very masculine.

The Oud note is extremely hidden. I kinda laughed when I got advised in a shop that all notes are around the base note that is Oud. Which is 200% false. The oud is really hidden, yet still there.

Add these 3 sprays in the exact same area, and it will unveil. Still hidden, but more here for people around you to smell it. After 3 hours it's an absolute pleasure. When dancing in a club it becomes your natural sexy and enigmatic smell. On the next morning, it becomes your trophy. Something that wipes out all good fragrance, even Bois d'Argent by Dior, even Serge Lutens ones. Oud Wood gives a real memory to the night you spent, the people you met, the places you've been.

One of my best friends bought it for her boyfriend - just because this fragrance leaves a mark, and has this incredible ability to become your body smell. Not just another fragrance that you smell on someone. something particular.

This is my very favorite fragrance of all times, and I think for life. Tom Ford definitely had to show his natural taste for elegance, and this blend shows it more than any other private blend.

Even Vanilla Tobacco, Noir de Noir, or Tuscan Leather can't compete with this addictive Oud Wood. They didn't launch the body spray, deodorant, even the soap just for the sake of it. The more you add that fragrance to you, the more it reveals its charms.

Get yourself a small bottle that can follow you in your adventures (I actually use a Hermes refillable one), and definitely give this fragrance the try it deserves.

I work in the travel industry and this smell follows me everywhere. From Asia to Europe, North America, Africa, the Middle East, I always face the same question: What is your fragrance?

Addictive and unique.
Definitely worth the try.
Oud Wood is incomparable, which is why it gained such a hype.

Only one thing to remember especially for the skeptics, put 3 prays on the same area please (which might lead to 9 sprays, yes!)

This fragrance is for people who don't count. Who live their day as if it was the last. This fragrance is different, unique.

Everyone should give it a try.
22nd June, 2020
Absolutely love this cologne more than any other.
Been wearing it for a couple years as my signature scent, and even after trying dozens of other fragrances, I can't find anything that I enjoy more.

It just blends so well with my skin chemistry. And yes, at this steep price point, I can understand the performance complaints. Longevity isn't the issue (at least not on me), but it's true, it doesn't have the strongest projection. You think at this price, folks should be able to smell you coming around the corner, right? I get it. Aventus is one of the greatest smelling fragrance of all-time, and has excellent projection. But herein lies the true beauty of this magical, mysterious frag: In my case, in my last couple of relationships, my girlfriends seemed to think that this was actually my body's scent or smell, and they could NOT get enough of it. "My scent" drove them crazy, to the point that they would snuggle-up with the shirt I'd been wearing when I wasn't there. That's part of the subtle beauty of this sexy fragrance - it just blends seamlessly into my body chemistry and scent, and becomes part of me. And boy does it cast a spell on the lucky ladies that get close enough to enjoy me...

Thumbs way, way up!
30th April, 2020 (last edited: 21st May, 2020)
On first spraying, I thought “Mm, this is good, really good,” and it reminded me of something. It took a while to realise it was like walking in a local arboretum in spring. The woody fragrance was very evident.
However, the disappointment came quite soon. All the reviews I’d read wrote about poor longevity and, in my case, they were correct. The smell on my wrist and elbow had disappeared in less than two hours.
Now, bizarrely, on the second time of using, the fragrance is lasting much longer and I’m a loss to explain why.
29th April, 2020 (last edited: 05th May, 2020)
Smells incredible and because of that I am giving it a thumbs up.

One of the best Oud scents out there BUT and this is a big but, performance is not nearly what it should be for this price and as such I would hesitate to purchase more than 1 bottle.
04th December, 2019
Kind of a bright sandalwood cardamom with a slight touch of sanitized oud. It doesn't smell bad. I don't understand why anybody loves this though. It doesn't seem to be something that would engender superlative remarks of any nature. It could smell like cleaner if you are looking for it. Boring. I can only assume this was more groundbreaking and interesting when it came out. Now it is generic and played out. Soft, weak, and unisex.
01st November, 2019
This smells just like I imagine Oud Wood would smell like after a small amount of research. But thats it. What a cop out. No imagination. Where is the creative interpretation? Who are you Tom Ford? You are joking on us with your price and brand? Just watch the gay suited sales assistant with attitude try and talk this one up on Youtube...eeeet is sooo subtle, classy. One of my faaaaavourites... all desperate euphemisms for ..well
I have to find some way of keeping a straight face when people ask me the price. I have several TF products because usually you can see where the actual value has been added and the branding is discrete. I only every buy at sale time so they are less ridiculously overpriced. With Oud Wood I cannot see any added value and as far as I know the colognes don't usually go on sale- not that I am fan anyway so I usually don't check. Plus this is not unisex as marketed.
22nd September, 2019