Iskander (2006)

Year of Launch2006

HouseParfum d'Empire
PerfumerMarc-Antoine Corticchiato

About Iskander

Iskander is a masculine fragrance by Parfum d'Empire. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Marc-Antoine Corticchiato

Reviews of Iskander

An excellent citrus, and amazingly preserved as an eau de parfum rather than an eau de cologne.

The citron, mandarin and grapefruit opening is dry and warm at the same time, reminding me a great deal of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. The coriander and tarragon waltz together perfectly to round it out with the herbal/spice component, and finally it is further warmed by the cedar, vetiver, oak moss, amber and musk in the base. Drydown is most reminiscent of Cartier's Declaration.

This is for me one of the best of this house's scents, rich and strong as are almost all their creations. If you are into citrus scents, this is a must try. However, for the pocket book, you can do just as well with Declaration at less than half the price of Iskander.
07th January, 2016
Genre: Chypre

I sampled two fragrances with big citrus openings today: this and Nicolai's New York. Though not necessarily all that similar, Iskander somehow reminds me of the old Tuscany Forte per Uomo. Iskander is very much about citrus for me, but its resinous cedar and spice underpinnings lend it a complexity rare among citrus-centered fragrances.

Interestingly enough, as robyogi points out, the citrus note persists far longer than most. The spices, woods, and citrus are in almost perfect balance here - this is a beautifully integrated scent. And though it's not listed I find a distinct cardamom component to the middle notes.

I haven't had much interest in citrus scents of late, but this is one I'd recommend to anyone who does! On me, it suggests it might work for women, too. Thumbs up for its sheer quality.
18th June, 2014
Parfum d'Empire - Iskander
Great natural, round fruity, fresh peppery-lemon opening with a fixed warmth that grows bigger by the clever use of prickly-spicy and green-herbaceous tarragon alongside coriander, that’s being dipped in a bath of lavender, orangeblossom and oakmoss, creating a very smooth and soft eau de cologne-styled perfume that altogether morphs into a deep darkish green tonality with a salty labdanum/incense touch. Very simply done in a evenly effective and efficient way, smelling transparent as well as abundant with a somewhat introvert joy upon its sleeve, showing a shy playfulness that’s full of liveliness and warmth. A very comfortable perfume that doesn’t draw a lot of attention but says many things with few words.
04th June, 2014
Pleasant,even if rather conventionally “masculine” fragrance, opening with a nice bitter grapefruit note, but soon totally ruined to my nose by a massive amount of what I believe to be Ambroxan, that covers up the other interesting and well balanced notes with its powdery, woody sweetness. A bit boring, in the end, though I can't be too hard with one of my favourite perfumers around!
17th April, 2014
Good citrus musk

Iskander has a very good citric opening, with orange and others I can't single out. The top notes burn off within about 30 minutes, as natural citrus top notes do. I don't get much longevity out of them as some report. What's left is a pleasant sweet musk, with a hint of non-specific fruit and vanilla. It's a nice dry down but not very interesting. It lasts for a while in this mode, but doesn't radiate much.

This is a citrus-musk eau de cologne (though a good one), with a bit more meat on the bones in the dry down. Good, but I think I'd like this better if it stopped trying to be more than an EdC and just disappeared after an hour or 2. It's not interesting enough to last longer than that.

Pros: Very good citrus opening
Cons: Simple"

12th October, 2013
superb citrus

I tested Iskander after some time reading about it and contemplating a blind buy. I am glad I tried it because I can honestly say that it seems to me to be the holy grail of citrus perfumes. It is a glorious bitter dry citrus that lasts and lasts. The herbal accord keeps it light and translucent. It is however a quite uninteresting composition in the sense that it is basically citrus. I miss complexity and what I call depth to ground the citrus note. I am glad I tried Iskander for another reason too; I realized that my tastes have changed and I should no longer search for predominantly citrus and green perfumes, as I have been doing for a few years now. Even some distinguished ones, like Iskander, make me think of them as somewhat generic, although I know they are far from it. I can still enjoy them but not on my skin. Maybe my citrus period is finally over!

Pros: the ultimate citrus
Cons: lack of complexity

16th June, 2013

Add your review of Iskander

Shop for Iskander products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Iskander

There are no member images of Iskander yet. Why not be the first?