Bois d'Arménie (2006)

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerAnnick Menardo
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Bois d'Arménie

Part of the "L'Art et la Matière" collection.

Bois d'Arménie fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois d'Arménie

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening with its combination of iris, frankincense, guaiac wood and the subtly spicy duo of cardamom and dashes of pink pepper - both early on me - make up for a unique impression of great beauty. The floral and the gently spicy harmonies extremely well, and soon injections of a delicious coriander add additional depth. Very impressive.

The drydown shifts towards a resinous range, with lots of benzoin in the foreground. Is becomes increasingly sweeter, and a powdery note becomes evident, whose tentative beginnings can be traces to the initial iris note, but which becomes increasingly evident now.

The base is grounded in the rather predictable dyad of white musks and a soft, quite bright patchouli, with the latter displaying only minimal and transient moments of crispness. Toward the end touches of a balsamic note, the Copahu balm, develops, and the whole mix takes on a touch of a medicinal nature with whiffs of a restrained caramel note lingering in the background.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and a very good longevity of nine hours on my skin.

The opening of this autumnal creation is unique, quite original and of magical quality - it is the highlight. The heart notes are nice but more in the realm of everyday perfumery, whilst the base combines the mundane with an interesting twist. Overall 3.75/5.
10th April, 2020
I was delighted to finally sample Guerlain Bois d'Armenie, a member of the L'Art et la Matiere collection, around the time I found out it had been discontinued.

As advertised, it's a lovely, powdery, resinous, woody, and ever so slightly sweet fragrance, a mix of iris, mixed resins (frankincense, benzoin, copahu balm), guaiac, patchouli, and a couple of other small pieces.

It starts off very powdery, the iris being front-and-center for the first 30-60 minutes but still the most prominent piece for hours thereafter, despite the growing influence (over time) of the resins.

It's opulent and bold, a cold-weather-leaning perfume that feels inherently slightly feminine but surely unisex enough for all.

As it's now discontinued, it's hard to put a value on it but even the still-standard $260 for 75ml pricing from this line seems consistent with the palpable quality and care put into the fragrance.

The solitary caveat to my nose is that it remains powdery (mostly via the iris, assume) for a bit longer than I'd like--essentially throughout the long life of the fragrance, it's powdery, and I suppose I was hoping for that aspect to fade somewhat, but it's surely what makes it a bit feminine and alluring.

I still love but might be content with a decant.

8 out of 10
25th October, 2018
Seems like another smokey-incense vanilla to me, not something I enjoy. The opening is heavy and sticky and lasts for a couple hours. After that, you start to lose the heaviness and it just evolves into a burned out vanilla candle.

Leans too feminine for my tastes. Feels like a cold-weather, formal scent.

Big projection in the opening but becomes more manageable after a couple hours. The whole thing lasts for 7-8 hours.
22nd September, 2018
I too would swear that there is a great deal of pure vanilla in Bois, although not part of the note tree. I have never encountered Copahu balm, so cannot speak to its influence here.

Whatever gaiac wood is present, it never intrudes, thank goodness, as I can not stand the heavy use of both this and oud in modern scents. I'd swear there is myrrh present as well, but perhaps it is the Copahu I am smelling.

Bois is amazingly rounded and sumptuously subtle. Guerlain once again reveals its masterly blending techniques. The over all effect is that of an incense vanilla with a slightly sweet dry quality, very restrained, very beautiful, and one of the very few modern incense scents (outside of the Serge Lutens line) that I have admired. More masculine than unisex to my sensibilities.

Bravo Guerlain! The first modern Guerlain for which I would consider shelling out the cash for a bottle purchase.
26th October, 2017
It shares many of the singularities with the other fragrances from this line. The opening is tough, some kind of vinegar that lets you think the fragrance has gone wrong. Then, you feel like a veil is coming around you. It goes spicy, sweet, soft. I could smell vanilla and pepper around the wood for some minutes. It would have been gorgeous if it stayed like this. But the spices quickly disappear and leave a soft, beautiful but very simple wood, with powdery iris notes. Longevity is huge, and when you think it's gone, you get whiffs of it. But sillage is too short for such an expensive fragrance.
Test it, buy it if you can afford it, it's very good. But it's not worth the price for me.

Edit: nevermind. I bought it. Not strong enough, I need to use too many sprays, but it’s addictive.
23rd April, 2017 (last edited: 17th May, 2018)
Immensely beautiful (and yes, literally magical) sparkling opening with a main "molecular/stormy" accord of dusty-spicy (peppery) iris, heliotrope, incense (vaguely smoky and peppery-aromatic), guaiac wood and resinous balsams. Under a stormy dusty powder a marvellous connection of tonka, patchouli, dusty-aromatic spices (cloves, nutmeg, cumin, I suppose), woody, powdery, aromatic and resinous elements (myrrh, Copahu Balm) provides a luxurious whiff of glorious Guerlinade a la Shalimar Parfum Initial or Heritage EdP (several scents from diverse brands jump on mind with several of their facets, I mean Chanel Coromandel, Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche, Tiziana Terenzi Ecstasy, Shams by Memo, Piguet Casbah, AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo Balsamo della Mecca). Yes, there is a "plastic" (actually wet, ostensibly plastic) iris note in the Bois d'Armenie's background, I would write about the effect the iris/dusty woods connection produces merging its substance with several resinous elements and probably with fresh cardamom. The note of frankincense is really heady and characterizing throughout while a touch of oakmoss-musk provides a typical boise armosphere. Divine. The final trail is a starry, shining, glistering, glaring, prickly-musky dust connecting the mediocre earth with the otherworldly paradise.
19th October, 2014

Add your review of Bois d'Arménie

Shop for Bois d'Arménie products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Bois d'Arménie

There are no member images of Bois d'Arménie yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Bois d'Arménie