Encre Noire (2006)

PerfumerNathalie Lorson
Parent CompanyDenz > Art & Fragrance
Parent Company at launchPochet Group

About Encre Noire

Encre Noire is a masculine fragrance by Lalique. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Nathalie Lorson

Encre Noire fragrance notes

Reviews of Encre Noire

I bought this as a blind buy as I'd come in to a little extra money and had been meaning to pick a bottle up for some time.

I am not disappointed.

Encre Noir to me is a really dry, woody vetiver. That said I pick up a scent in this that I have found in many fragrances before but in other fragrances has never sat well on my skin. I get a bit of an Incense vibe from it.

Some of the Comme des Garcons fragrances spring to mind like Incense Kyoto and there is also something in here that reminds me of EDPFM French Lover. Both fragrances I loved on paper but didn't work on my skin.

Suffice to say Encre Noir does work on my skin and I quite love it.
04th June, 2020
Opening blast of sharp, jagged peppermint overwhelms more pleasant cedar undertones. I thought it might just have interacted poorly with my skin chemistry; I spritzed a (female) co-worker, who grimaced and said "it's very antiseptic -- something you'd find at the dentist's". She's right, too.

The jarring opening notes take a good while to fade. The drydown is very pleasant, and subtler, more complex tones emerge. It's just not worth it, though, to power through the first three hours smelling like cheap toothpaste. Very disappointed in this.
27th May, 2020

It smells exactly like the grey fabric work gloves that are in my basement. I use these gloves for chopping wood and open burn days. They've collected the smell of smoke and various tree types in the fabric. It's the mix of cypress and cashmere. The smoky note of the vetiver merges with these two notes. A big dose of Iso Super E throws a dose of coolness to the fragrance. I guess to reflect the feeling of a cold winter day of when I wear these gloves. I don't catch any musk in this.

Encre Noire just isn't unique at all and smells very commonplace to me. When you've been burning wood all day you generally shower the smell off you and spray an actual fragrance on afterwards. There's nothing clever about Encre Noire.
13th May, 2020
I'm clearly in the minority here, because I don't get why most other reviewers like this fragrance so much. Maybe I'm not such a huge Vetiver fan...? But I love Terre D'Hermes EDT, which is also supposedly a Vetiver dominant fragrance, so I don't know...

Anyways, there's nothing subtle about this frag - it's strong. As other reviews have noted, you're either going to love it or not care for it. For me, there's a scent memory associated with this odour that turns me off, the same way strong iris frags remind me of an old aunty's purse.

Comparing this original with 2 of its popular flankers (L'extreme, and Sport), I found this tolerable, compared to the even stronger Encre Noir L'extreme, which amps-up the weird odour here to nauseating levels.
But I found the Encore Noir Sport flanker a little lighter, less linear, and more likable than this original.
06th May, 2020
A very better and dry opening that warms up with beautiful spices and cools down with cypress. A different take on vetiver that, as a woman, I love.
20th March, 2020
I am a bit confused. Opening leau blue dissey, then guerlain vetiver and kenzoair combined. No ink no dirty notes no rain forest and no ink. On paper this smells like pencil shave. Overall effect is a powdery and not too soapy vetiver.
27th January, 2020