Eau des Baux (2006)

Eau des Baux information

Year of Launch2006

HouseL'Occitane

About Eau des Baux

Eau des Baux is a masculine fragrance by L'Occitane. The scent was launched in 2006

Reviews of Eau des Baux

It opens with a refreshing cracked blackpepper which is only prominent for minutes, and quickly becomes a soft incense reminiscent of CDG 2Man minus the smoke. As the pepper continues to fade a subtle spice, like nutmeg or cardamom develops, giving me the impression of smelling a jar of dry chai tea. It quickly then settles into a soft dry vanilla prominent skin scent with reasonable longevity.

I initially didn't connect this to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille as I was moving through the different stages of the scent, but I can see how the incense / tea / vanilla combination in the mid to base would smell similar to the vanilla pipe tobacco in TV. However, on my skin it's a subtle skin scent without much sillage, as opposed to Tobacco Vanille which is a sillage monster.

I recommend this as comforting fragrance to wear at home or as a subtle daily fragrance which is interesting and enjoyable, but not attention-seeking. There's no sticky date pudding or golden syrup here, so it's perfect for the more mature wearer who wants to wear vanilla without the powder and sugar. I don't think it lives up to the hype, but it's still a thumbs up.

15th September, 2020
I have a very strong fragrance connection to Paris with two scents. The first, the candle that perfumes the Hotel Coste, isn't made as a fragrance. The second is Eau des Baux. I was on a business trip to Paris in December, and my colleague were walking back to our hotel on the Left Bank along Saint Germain. It was cold, the decorations for the holidays were beautiful, and shops were still open. We stopped into a pharmacy which had a small L'occitane display and I started sniffing. I got to Baux and it was love at first sniff. As everyone here says - the quality far outweighs the price for this. Warm, spicy and sweet, its one that I never tire of, and when I wear it, I can't stop sniffing myself! Great compliment getter too.
09th December, 2019
Smells good. It has incense, but not cloudy or smoky or particularly aromatic. It has a gourmand feel with vanilla and tobacco. I don't get any cypress, and the cardamom just kind of blends in with the vanilla to give of a sort of well cultured Tonka feel. It does smell fairly well balanced. Projection and longevity both seemed about average, longevity maybe slightly less than. Definitely a fall comfort fragrance. Is a good value under $50. I'm less enthusiastic than many here, almost a neutral, but I think it tilts slightly thumbs up from the value. I will say, this feels like incense for those who do not wish to smell like incense (which I generally don't) so this could occupy a specific spot in a well curated wardrobe.
20th November, 2019
What can I say about this fragrance that hasn't already been said? This is one of the best bang-for-your-buck fragrances on the market. In fact, I think this is one of the best cooler weather fragrances on the market, period. Its a beautiful woody-oriental combination of vanilla, cypress and incense that has perfect projection (arms length) and great longevity.

Eau des Baux opens with a strong spicy peppercorn note combined with some beautiful cardamom, which is one of my favorite notes in fragrance. Soon after, the heart of Eau des Baux reveals itself as a delightful incense note makes its way in. I can't say I know what cypress smells like, but the note that accompanies the incense in the heart of this juice is slightly spicy and woody. The base of the fragrance counters the spiciness of the peppercorn and cypress with sweet tonka and vanilla.

All in all, this is a beautifully composed fragrance, delightful in its evolution, and smells like a scent two or three times its price. I would laud this fragrance if it cost $150, so the fact that you can find it for 1/3 of that is nothing short of remarkable. I cannot imagine this being offensive to anyone, and it has garnered compliments almost every time I've worn it. Not really a hot weather fragrance though, I'd limit this to fall and winter.

I highly recommend Eau des Baux to anyone and everyone, in fact this is my first review - the first fragrance I felt strongly enough to write about. Two thumbs way up for me, 5 stars, whatever metric you want to use - this stuff is brilliant. I can't imagine not having it in my collection.
25th August, 2019
This happened: I stalked a guy in the supermarket to ask what he was wearing.

Back of the store, dairy, some guy is in front of milks. I'm looking at butter. Other than that, I don't *see* him until I get a whiff. He's standing two feet away, max. It isn't a strong whiff either.

I have my headphones on and before I can turn off my music and ask, he's halfway down the freezer aisle. Okay, I had to book it to reach him. He hasn't stopped, so from four-five feet away, I raise my voice a bit.

"Excuse me!" He turns around as I walk up.

I mean obviously, I stalked him down the aisle. But he hasn't run away or called security. And he has a neutrally (cautiously) friendly look on his face.

""Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm a perfume geek. What are you wearing?"

"You know Occitane?" he asks.

"Yeah, sure." He says something, about the smell, incense something something. But I can't hear the name.

"Which one?"

"The baux."

"Eau des Baux ?"

"Yeah."

"It smells great. I've known about it, but never smelled it. Thank you!" I turn and walk away before he changes his mind and calls security.

I'm (woman) getting some for myself. It's better than Tobacco Vanille, IMO. Smoky/incensy, warm, vanilla. Not as sweet as TV, and totally not sweet like MAC Velvet Teddy. It is cozy, approachable, appealing. It won't cast a huge shadow, but that's not the point. I smelled soft projection or sillage from a couple of feet. If it had been stronger I don't think I would have liked it. I knew a man was standing close by, but I never looked at him until I caught his scent trail. Then he came into perfect focus.

I tell you, that perfume geek line seems to disarm people.
25th August, 2019
A nice value-for-money fragrance that perhaps gets a bit more due than it deserves just because it's so accessible and pleasing.

As nicely layered as this fragrance is, there's a lack of intrigue in this blend. It's pleasant while it lasts, but I never miss it when it's gone.
01st April, 2019

Add your review of Eau des Baux

Shop for Eau des Baux products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Eau des Baux

There are no member images of Eau des Baux yet. Why not be the first?