Iris 39 (2006)

HouseLe Labo
PerfumerFrank Voelkl
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Iris 39

Iris 39 is a feminine perfume by Le Labo. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Frank Voelkl

Iris 39 fragrance notes

Reviews of Iris 39

Reading perfume reviews reminds me of the knowledgable customers at my brother's winery asking if the wine was aged in American or French oak. Me, I relate to the other customers; I pretty much know what I like & what I don't like & I'm learning to discern the subtleties. Unfortunately for me, I do not like cheap, drug store fragrance & I can tell the difference so I must have some aptitude for this, right?

I HATED this the first, second, & third time I tried it. Hated it. All I got was a big hit of rancid hay. Not that I actually know what rancid hay smells like. So of course I brought a sample home & threw it in the bowl with all the other fragrance samples. Several weeks later, I put some on and, what do you know, I think's lovely. I agree with LeMoose above that this is a sunny fragrance. I wear it when I'm not feeling mysterious. There's iris, sure, but like most of Le Labo's stable (a reference to hay, get it?), the iris is playing with some old friends like violet and some diverse friends like patchouli (very subtle on me) with a little constant note of cardamom which is what I think makes this fragrance so unique.

How would I know about sillage? I work in the medical field where fragrance is not allowed so I dab some on my sternum so only I am smelling it. As already stated, I wear this when I'm feeling a little more assertive & maybe wearing something other than black. The longevity of this on me is good but not great & that's okay.

Given how much I hated this in the beginning & then came to love it, I am thinking of trying some oud.
13th April, 2021
This is clear cut feminine with a classic backbone. The powdery texture and strong florals with healthy amounts of civet confirms this. I smell Iris, ylang and rose mostly and have always found ylang to be challenging. If ylang is not your cup of tea, you might find this hard to accept into your rotation. Thankfully the ylang here doesn't completely drown out the Iris, but they are equal players, you will smell alot of it. I must say that the light addition of fruitiness make this more consumable and easier to digest.
26th October, 2020 (last edited: 19th May, 2021)
An iris-centred creation that knows how to enunciate – not in a plummy ‘dahlinggg’ manner, but with clarity of intent coupled with a satisfying and unforced sonority. As irises go the starring note in this is unexceptional – it’s very much in the powder puff meets suede manner. But it’s what’s going around this clean iris note that sparks my interest – there’s the sweet ozonic breath of violets, a completely on point cardamom accent, mellow richer floral notes in the background and subtle deployment of a humid and earthy patchouli. It all adds up to more than the sum of its parts and is eminently wearable. What more could one ask for? Well, a friendlier price point, I suppose, but of such dreams are heartaches born…
18th December, 2019
Love LeLabo and love Iris39. It is unique, it’s bold, it’s Iris and Violent up front and the Iris remains throughout about 4 hours for me. After that I get musky, woody nice warm clean scent. Ask for a sample at the LeLabo counter and see for yourself.
Also a major fan of Santal 33 and Rose 31. LeLabo rocks it for me.
I own about 35 bottles of fragrance so I consider myself an addict and definitely not impressed with run of the mill types. Thus, LeLabo is my new BFF
27th May, 2018
This is my “sunny” iris. It has nothing in common with my fave Iris Silver Mist, in fact it’s the opposite of ISM. However, instead of hating it I love it. It’s very Southern California, very Abbot Kinney/cement trapezoid succulent planter. And even though I am not the basic b*tch that would fit this description, I happen to enjoy the way she smells: The iris comes across as a buttery hue of yellow that shines across the whole composition of creamy sandlwood aroma cut by tart lime and ginger. It’s got that milky yet slightly tart vibe of Santal 33 and it reminds me of drinking orange tea with cream added. In essence it smells young, modern and liberated from familar gender associations. I do recommend wearing on a sunny breezey day for full effect.
05th March, 2018
iobhai Show all reviews
You're deep in the city, on a rainy day, chasing your cat, and you definitely don't have time for this. You're led to a tiny alcove off of what seems like an abandoned alley, and you discover a garden filled with violet flowers. It's also filled with weeds, and a bunch of stray cats, and it's starting to get flooded with acid rain. You wonder if you should head back home, leaving your cat with its new tribe. Iris 39 by Le Labo.
25th February, 2018

Add your review of Iris 39

Shop for Iris 39 products online

Shop for Iris 39 at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Le Labo Iris 39- 1.7oz/50ml- BNIB- FREE SHIP

US • Buy it now: USD 130.00.

Le Labo IRIS 39

US • Buy it now: USD 14.00.

LE LABO IRIS 39 EAU DE PARFUM SAMPLES

US • Buy it now: USD 20.00.

Member images of Iris 39

There are no member images of Iris 39 yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]