Charogne (2007)

Year of Launch2007

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerShyamala Maisondieu

About Charogne

Charogne is a shared / unisex perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Shyamala Maisondieu

Charogne fragrance notes

Reviews of Charogne

alexmate Show all reviews
Fragrance In Three Words: Animalic Floral Leather.

This is named after the French word for Carrion. The vulture like bird that feeds on animal corpses.

This one starts with what to me is a champagne style note as well as lashings of ginger, cardamom, citrus and light pink pepper. It's a solid and complicated opening.

As it progresses it becomes more feminine and floral. Really big ylang-ylang, muguet and jasmine notes.

As it drysdown the floral notes persist with some soft leather, a really decent dusty, mouldy incense note and a heavy vanilla. The vanilla really does take over and it was mainly what I could smell as it was fading. The incense and florals are all quality and well composed. Like most ELDO fragrance, it is synthetic, but undeniably expensive smelling and classy.

This fragrance is sadly discontinued. It can currently be bought for less than £100 for a big bottle which is about what it cost when it was a current line. It's not too difficult to find sealed boxes in 2021.

For me it is slightly too feminine. Not the florals, just the sweetness of vanilla contrasting against strong aromas like incense and leather weren't for me. I get they were going for a darkness and light theme.

Scores an above average 6.5 out of 10.

1ml decant sample
04th May, 2021
Shycat Show all reviews
Instascrub.
05th October, 2018
I expected more. I wanted it to smell so unmistakably like rotting flesh. Instead I get flowers and some dank.
It takes a while to appreciate, and I get that, I just wanted more upfront.

So my verdict is this: more like a morgue than rotting carcass. Also more wearable than I expected. Thumbs up for originality and daring to make this. Just left me wanting, that's all.
24th November, 2016
Decaying beauty. Somehow noble, somehow beautiful, unsettling.

I'm sure most who deal with bodies - morgues, coroners, doctors, etc - recognize the unsettling sweet aspect of decomposition. I once discovered a family friend who had died in his living room the prior day. I was unprepared for the sickly sweet chemical aroma that hung over the closed room. There was no decomposing flesh smell - I suppose the process wasn't far enough along for that. It seems one of the first acts of the body was to create sugar gasses - at least that's what the room smelled like to me. I've never forgotten that smell. Charogne has this.

Charogne has beautifully rich intense, dense florals thickly overlaying ominous sweet and eventually hard-to-avoid indoles. With Charogne you cannot have the beauty without the sense of its dissolution swimming in the background. To me, it makes it's beauty more poignant and more grand. But wearing this fragrance you must live with this fact. It's not something one would always wish to wear, but when you do it gives it a depth that is hard to come by through a fragrance that is only about the beautiful.
13th June, 2015 (last edited: 09th April, 2019)
low sillage, low duration.. a chemical leather ...unforgettable its incredibly high price tag!
09th November, 2014
At the first sniff: vanillin, ginger, a salty note, incense (well, sort of...), ambrettolide, tonka, a white-silky floral accord dusty and nice even if a bit dull, then tiny fruity hints which I guess are due to red pepper, finally suede (needless to say the leather note is a depressing, ready-made plain safraleine note). Overall a sweet-salty, chemical scent, with not enough creativity or elegance or whatever to turn this into a positive feature. This does not mean it's bad or stinky, it actually smells nice, mediocrely nice and clean. The only point of interest in my opinion is a musky-salty note vaguely "animalic" too that makes this close to a "salty sweaty skin" feeling, but as the rest is quite a big yawn, it's not enough for me. Nothing new, nothing deep, nothing provocative, nothing interesting... as most part of Eld'O scents and their trendy and derivative "avantgardeness", like an Italian way of saying goes: "nothing mixed with nothing".

09th July, 2014

Add your review of Charogne

Shop for Charogne products online

Shop for Charogne at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Charogne

There are no member images of Charogne yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]