Monocle Scent One : Hinoki (2008)
by Comme des Garçons for Monocle

Monocle Scent One : Hinoki information

Year of Launch2008

HouseComme des Garçons
Created ForMonocle
PerfumerAntoine Maisondieu

About Monocle Scent One : Hinoki

Monocle Scent One : Hinoki is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu

Monocle Scent One : Hinoki fragrance notes

Reviews of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki

The ingredients read like a dare (turpentine, camphor combined with pine and cypress!?) and the initial hit is just as interesting as that sounds. The opening reminds me of a musty and humid wine cellar, but strangely enough there is a freshness that actually makes it work.

The longevity is abominable though. the scent is as volatile as turpentine and camphor. Most of it was gone within the hour, and what remains is a vaguely powdery woody scent that is barely noticeable.

If it weren't for the poor longevity, this would be a very interesting contender for a favorite.
07th December, 2019 (last edited: 08th December, 2019)
sappho Show all reviews
On me: a blast of citrus, fading immediately into a smell of wood and acrid smoke that is, somehow, completely unlike woodsmoke. Memorable; I can't decide if it's unpleasant or not. I'll be keeping the sample for days when I'm bored but won't be buying a full bottle. Gone after about 3h.
06th October, 2018
Hinoki-sama!
Simple, changeless, stand accused
Of your true nature.
18th December, 2017
Hinoki is very minimal and simplistic: a cypress & laurel leaf opening, a synthetic impression of actual Hinoki wood (which, in its finest quality, smells wonderfully anachronistic, alluringly camphoraceous, lemony, vivid, and virile), and a pretty common-to-CdG cedary-musk base accord.

What it does it does well, thanks to the captive faux-Hinoki which makes up a large part of the composition. But, I've found after repeated wearings, its thrill fades quickly, namely, I find myself asking, "Why would I want to wear this anymore?" when I think about it: the opening notes are too short-lived, its core is too one-faceted, and its foundation is ultimately reminiscent of too many other CdG scents, which in time, all begin to smell too alike to wear as unique.

And whereas CdG once felt very unique, now, especially here in Hinoki, it begins to just feel safe. Lovely, but not so proportional to its bloated price.
05th July, 2017
A very frustrating experience.

Hinoki has some dusty green top notes where one can barely pick out the pine and the cypress. The green elements are supported by cedar-like woods. The fragrance smells simplistic, linear and is hardly engaging. Very soon the green elements subside to leave behind a humdrum woody skin scent. Overall it's very lacklustre - a vanishing mid phase, an absent base, very short duration and zero sillage.

Disappointing to say the least.

1.5/5
02nd June, 2017
This is definitely an incredible scent.

That said, I would personally never wear it in public. This is more of a scent to enjoy on oneself during the cooler months.

I normally try to relax my mind when I first wear/test any new scent and see what images first pop in my mind upon inhaling. In the case of Hinoki, I close my eyes and find myself relaxing in a cedar-lined sauna. Warm-hot dry air surrounds me and I close my eyes to relax and meditate while enjoying the warmth and scent of woods.

All-in-all, a fantastic scent to enjoy, but I would not label this as a people-pleaser. The closest thing to a real 'woodsy' cologne that I would dare wear in public would be Bottega Veneta's Pour Homme Edt.
10th May, 2017

Add your review of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki

Shop for Monocle Scent One : Hinoki products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki

There are no member images of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki yet. Why not be the first?