Love, don't be shy (2007)
by By Kilian

Love, don't be shy information

Year of Launch2007

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerCalice Asancheyev-Becker

About Love, don't be shy

Love, don't be shy is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Calice Asancheyev-Becker

Reviews of Love, don't be shy

At first sniff I quite liked this one. The gourmand notes come right out of the gate and are nice. Then later on they combine with the white florals in an intriguing way that doesn't quite smell like either category. It doesn't smell bad at all, just very unique. What I will say is that it comes off fairly feminine (and of course is marketed as such). So this isn't quite for me, but I do enjoy the scent and think I'd like this on my girlfriend.
22nd February, 2020
Feminine florals mixed with sweet, edible vanilla and a powdery, makeup smell throughout. I think it leans feminine but like many vanillas, if you feel good wearing it, then anyone can pull this off.

I'm not picking up much civet or anything stinky, save for a little musk. It seems pretty safe and agreeable throughout, although don't overspray.

Performance is quite good, as mentioned. I get all-day longevity and projection on just a few sprays.
08th November, 2019

Love (…don’t be shy): Heavy duty bergamot, Neroli, and pink pepper opening… so heavy duty that, instead of citrus, it comes across as a strong, smooth spice accord with a soft resinous twist – the uniqueness of the accord is accomplished through the use of the oil form of the constituents which results in an accord that projects depth, silkiness, character, and sophistication.

The remaining actions of the fragrance seem to rest too much on the laurels achieved by the opening. The florals – jasmine, rose, and iris – do appear, but not enough to augment the waning power of the opening. And, as the beginning accord weakens, the fragrance loses as much interest as it loses potency. It needs those florals to keep up the drama and complexity. The resins of the base also fail to provide needed interest: I cannot find the civet, and the labdanum is much too discreet – this is not the time or place for transparency. The white musk is white musk so it does what is expected of white musk – very little.

Love began as a potently sweet caramelization. Its initial drama was achieved by the combination of the depth and strength of its vegetal oils. It was suggestive of resin and was unembarrassed in its projection. The promise of this impressive opening, however, has not been carried through the remainder of the fragrance… As soon as the opening began to weaken, it had not a substantial enough augmentation of middle tones of florals and resins, and this fragrance with its cheeky name, became just a rather ordinary long-lasting caramel skin scent that would have a difficult time competing with a typical designer gourmand.

17th November, 2017
Oh! At first this is a sweet, very sweet little beast! I mean a “Kids wash your teeth”, cavity inducing, loved by dentists one! And you better love it too or you will be stuck with it for a long time! Because it lasts and lasts.

As a man I don't find it masculine enough to suit me and my personality. But if you do, great!

When I spray Love by Kilian on, my nose is hit by a warm mix of very thick, loud, pink and orange colored bubble gum and cotton candy with all of their “chemical” smells on a caramel base. Welcome to the funfair!

As the opening settles down the candies stay but allow us more to get the full range of this fragrance. There's actually a spicy, syrupy orange with a lightly smoky amber hidden in the middle. It's joined by civet, appearing with its sharper, unclean and honeyed leathery touch giving a more sour counterpart to the sugary bomb. It gets more noticeable as time goes on. It's helped by florals, mainly jasmine which depending on how it's distilled can also have an animalic vibe. This incorporates a depraved, dirty twist and some character to the fragrance. (Which can also keep it unisex enough for some men to wear it I guess).

Love by Kilian is the respectable, fun “girly-girl” woman who loves super sweet/gourmand perfumes but who also embraces her wilder and sluttier alter-ego.
11th November, 2017
I love to hate on ridiculously-priced fragrances, but this one is awesome. It smells like cupcakes with a hint of flowers. It's unisex, but much more on the feminine side than the masculine.

Longevity is at an all-time high for me. This one is up there in the 20 hour range. The projection is also extreme; this one is in the room-filling category.
03rd February, 2017
Sweet Angel - the Mugler one!

To my nose this is a blatant copy of the classic Mugler Angel, with the sweet sugar syrup note heightened.

Here is the same Christmas candle potpourri blend of fruits and gourmand scents that made up the original Angel. I can detect no difference other than the price tag.

Odd that no other reviewers here noted this similarity. In any case not worth consideration due to its blatant duplication and its cost.

Stick with the original Angel.
16th February, 2016

Add your review of Love, don't be shy

Shop for Love, don't be shy products online

Shop for Love, don't be shy at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Love, don't be shy

There are no member images of Love, don't be shy yet. Why not be the first?