Sycomore Eau de Toilette (2008)
by Chanel

Sycomore Eau de Toilette information

Year of Launch2008

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Sycomore Eau de Toilette

Part of Les Exclusifs range. A different fragrance to one of the same name launched in 1930.

Sycomore Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of Sycomore Eau de Toilette

Ah, Sycomore. I bought myself a bottle of this elixir (EdT) around 2012, and now I find myself carefully rationing the stash. Delicious; this scent is a gift to the nose. The first whiff is of cigarette smoke. Not wood smoke; mellow cigarette smoke. This recedes within the first 15 minutes, and vetiver puts a foot forward. Then vetiver mingled with cypress notes lasts for a heavenly 3-4 hours, and slowly melts into a sandalwood hum interspersed with the faintest spikes of pepper. When wearing this, every so often a movement releases a puff of scent and I am delighted with it, and myself for wearing it. For me, it is happiness in a bottle. It is smooth, heady, and elegant. I find its sillage to be considerable, and longevity runs about 7 hours before I feel the need to re-spritz. This is a tie for my "desert island scent", and for those concerned with such things, this is one of my "most compliment getters". I tried Encre Noir because of the comparisons here on BN and although I enjoyed Lalique's offering, Sycomore has an effortless polish to it that Encre Noir never achieves. Simply love it.
09th April, 2020
This is Paris in the winter.
This is fragrance perfection.
I own and am cherishing the last few drops of my large EDT bottle. Much more subtle as an EDT (from 2008) than the newer EDP.
01st March, 2019
Reserved 'cold' hearted billionaire business man, Chanel 'Sycamore' is a man who has no interest in anything but his parents, siblings, the 3 close friends he grew up with and all his business endeavors. He only came to the party to possibly make new business allies and strengthen the already existing ones. Dressed in a million-dollar dark grey suit, this man oozes money........ but that doesn't matter because he could be wearing sweats and a jumper from target and STILL make it look a million bucks. Dark, curly, thick, silky tresses of hair hang on his forehead, brows thick and dark pulled together as if his mad at the world, a prominent stubble making him look at lot more manly, mature and serious then he already is, he subdues power and authority. 'Sycamore' does not mind getting a bit brash, he says what he needs to say, no matter the consequences. If your feelings get hurt, then it gets hurt- you need to acknowledge this and move on. He commands the room by lifting a finger. If you can offer him something that will aid his business than his all ears, but if you cannot then you need to move along.
You don't know anything about him other than what he does for a living and even that is kept to a minimum.
Shoutout to Demi Rawling from YT for recomending this.
This is what I envision when I smell this.
02nd January, 2019
Yes, Sycomore EdT is a vetiver scent, and it's perhaps not as versatile as many other vetivers (because it's all of luxe, chic and root-sy), and sillage is close and longevity so-so, and moreover it's gone now.

So what?

Sycomore has one of the loveliest accords in perfumery, a rooty, smoky, haunting vetiver with touches of iris, aldehydes, cypress, all blended to perfection. My words are just words, but you must smell it. Some enjoy it in summers, I enjoy it in early fall for its autumnal qualities. Once the sparkling top fizzles out quickly, I find the scent almost to be a country cousin of Pour Monsieur.

Did I say it's memorable?

4.5/5 (Perhaps 3.5/5 considering price/concentration issues, but, for once, let us not be accountants. :-) )
19th October, 2018
More of a vetiver scent, similar to Encre Noire but less harsh and loud. Being softer also allows this to be more unisex as well as good for layering with other scents, perhaps with thinner citrus scents that need some clean, greeness and richness.
13th October, 2018
This is a beautiful dark vetiver fragrance that smells like a more refined version of Lalique's Encre Noire. The vetiver in this is similar to Encre Noire's and is the Haitian citric yet dark, slightly smoky, and slightly damp kind. Unlike Encre Noire though, there is something slightly citric and sweet hiding in the background in Sycomore, which is maybe a combination of aldehydes and pink pepper. I also compared it to some Indian khus oil that I have and it smells totally different - with the Indian vetiver being more nutty, sweeter, and smelling like an Indian dessert while the Haitian variety in Sycomore smells more earthy and grassy. Sillage is moderate while longevity is pretty good.

4.5/5