Dark Season

HouseNeil Morris Fragrances
PerfumerNeil Morris

About Dark Season

According to Neil Morris:

I lived in Finland for a year in 1977 and I would take walks with my Finnish friends on cold, dry, shimmering nights. One evening while visiting my friend Merja's family in Lahti (60 miles north of Helsinki) we decided to bundle up and walk through the winter woods not far from her home. (The woods are ubiquitous in Finland!) The night was crystalline and the air cold and clear and as we walked and talked, the silence of the majestic forest and the softly falling snow combined to create an otherworldly dreamscape. But what I remember most were the stars! They hung like almost reachable frozen orbs that might shatter from our chilled breath. We stopped talking and just walked for half an hour more till the north wind told us we'd had enough. We then headed back to their house on Pohjanakanpolku (Yes, that's the name of the street they lived on. It means Path of the Northern Hag - I kid you not!!), and we could smell the warm fires and saunas coming from the homes on her street. Her mom had warm glöggi ready for us when we got in. I was almost in tears from the magic of that walk.

Dark Season fragrance notes

Reviews of Dark Season

Dark Season, inspired by a starlight walk in the Finnish woods with good friends. Neil lived in Finland for a year in 1977, and he speaks Finnish, this perfume is a stunner which truly brings this experience alive in scent.

This is a dark winter scent, yet, it doesn't weigh you down. It's surprisingly light and agile. It's not solemn, but rather enchanting and inviting.

It's the scent of warm spicy cinnamon, piquant and soothing. It's the scent of stoic fir trees, their bracing crisp scent awakening your senses. It's Patchouli and Labdanum dark and seductive, earthy and real, the forest floor. It's Oakmoss pungent and earthy marrying with a spiced dirty vanilla, sweet and creamy.

I can picture myself in the forest, stars twinkling in the heavens, the air cold with winter's majesty, twigs and leaves cracking underfoot, the closeness and warmth of good friends next to you, holding gloved hands, the forest creatures aslumber, an owl hoots in the distance.
06th May, 2020
I wish I could find a full bottle somewhere because I love this! Dark Season is all over the place, which (in most fragrances) is not always a good thing. In this, it is what keeps Dark Season so mysterious. It's definitely sweet but not sickening.

My description is going to sound very strange but it's what I smell. Dark Season takes me back to some pleasant memory in my childhood but I'm not exactly sure what. It does reminds me of outdoors in the Piney Woods of East Texas. I can smell the cold air blowing through the thick woods with a mix of all different types trees and lots of pine. I get a slight hint of mushrooms and gasoline fumes that is a good smell.
I use to get in trouble for smelling my dads zippo lighter but I loved the way the fumes smelled and would sneak a tiny quick sniff every so often. I can smell that too in the background of this fragrance. I smell the inside cellophane from a brand new unsmoked pack of my dads Kent 100 cigarettes. I get cinnamon, patchouli and vanilla that comes and goes the whole time from first spray to the dry down. I'm telling you Dark Season is all over the place...but in a good way.

I am so thankful for my sample and the opportunity to try this! I would have really missed out on something unique. I'm trying to savor every last drop since it can't be found!
30th September, 2019 (last edited: 09th October, 2019)
shamu1 Show all reviews
I don't like this scent at all. I do detect a piney, Christmas tree-like note in this, but it's buried under a choking, sweet cinnamon and vanilla accord. I like dry, transparent coniferous scents, not something heavy and syrupy like this. I was expecting something so much better, considering how excellent Neil Morris' Gandhara is.

Perhaps if this were named differently I wouldn't be as averse to it. With a name like "Dark Season", I thought this would smell like a walk through the forest. Instead, this is smells like I'm walking into a Yankee Candle store in a mall.

MY RATING: 3/10
02nd October, 2011
Dark Season is a lightly spiced spruce that quickly sinks into an ambery-oriental accord based around patchouli, labdanum, and a subtle vanilla. Spruce is tamed here, and the sharp, sinus-clearing qualities of essential oil are minimized in favor of an edgeless conifer note. The base is handled deftly, never becoming the thick, oriental swamp it could be with those notes.

Dark Season sounds ominous in name, but it's warm, inviting fragrance, welcoming you in from the winter cold rather than sending you out into it.

I'm surprised at the reviews that find this odd and conceptual. To my nose, it's one of the most approachable in the line, quite removed from olfactory oddities like Dark Earth, and a close cousin of many older mainstream masculines. If Polo could be mellowed out to a state of unrecongizability and given a bit of gourmand window-dressing, it would smell something like Dark Season.
08th May, 2010
Bigsly Show all reviews
I found the drydown of this to be quite similar to "super cheapo" Cuba Orange, though they are not identical. I like Cuba Orange better overall, though, so you can probably guess that I won't be spending money on a bottle of Dark Season. If you feel yourself becoming ill at the thought of purchasing Cuba Orange, try Rochas Lui, which still should save you more than a few dollars. I'll give this a positive rating, though, because I don't take price into account. Sillage and longevity seemed good, if not better. I'll also suggest Etro's Messe de Minuit, which is not quite as similar as the other two but also worth considering if you like these kinds of fragrances (I do).
27th March, 2010
Opens with a rich cinnamon tinged darkness of frankincense, patchouli, Fir, and Myrrh. The dark vanilla base removes some density from this dark oriental opening and there is light at the end of the tunnel. As it wears on the heavy opening dies down to reveal more green fir + myrrh for a conifer wood darkness layered over warmth of dark vanilla and labdanum base. Less amber prominent that Ambre Fetische but similar . . . and very similar to Neil Morris EARTH TONES #3 NORTH WOODS but w/o the oakmoss. A deep warm resinous wooded scent that is very masculine and is definitely a mid winter fragrance.
14th September, 2009

Add your review of Dark Season

Shop for Dark Season products online

Search on ebay

Member images of Dark Season

There are no member images of Dark Season yet. Why not be the first?