1740 Marquis de Sade (2008)
by Histoires de Parfums

1740 Marquis de Sade information

Year of Launch2008

HouseHistoires de Parfums

About 1740 Marquis de Sade

A truly unflinching scent for the modern male hedonist. A perfume where Leather and Davana explore the scandalous liberties of the Century of Lights.

1740 Marquis de Sade fragrance notes

Reviews of 1740 Marquis de Sade

Crumbles of honeyed-florals with a smidge of bitterness. The davana is divine here. Patchouli is accented with creamy, yet powdery spices. Semi-savory, semi-sweet spices. Ten minutes later it's all savory.

An interesting mix of flavors are in the base. It is smoky, slightly balsamic, with hints of freshly, processed leather or new leather. At times I am reminded of burned herbs, like a smudge stick blended with a bitter incense.

More smooth. Notes merge into a smoldering base with little pops of floral. Well done!
26th June, 2020
The current version is the one to which I give a hearty thumbs-up. There's a lot of complexity to this opulent, rich leather scent. It's ultimately elegant, despite its cheeky nods to the prurient decadence of its namesake.

The original 2008 release is an animalic bomb that is incredibly well-made but one that I nevertheless find intensely challenging to wear.
23rd April, 2020
This is a stunner.
A rare immediate thumbs up and FBW.
Find Amouage Journey Man slightly too sweet? Then this is more wearable and balanced and masculine. Find Les Jeux Sont Faites too aggressively woody? Find Roja Fetish too loud overall and even worse upsetting Collin Maynard the epitomy of eloquence and affability?
Then look no further.
It is still sweet spices but with masculine edges keeping this bad boy pointed in the right direction. Leather , not bergamot but liqueur of Bergamot, cedar and patchouli and cocoa or coffee. Its difficult to fully explain , but if this beats my sample of Zoologist Camel coming in shortly I am putting in an order.
There I said it.
29th January, 2020
1740 Marquis de Sade: As filthy as its namesake.

This is an interesting one for sure. It opens up with a very dry leather, but soaked in booze, for lack of a better way to put it. It's dry and kind of dusty, yet thick and enveloping. A strong patchouli lies underneath, along with a sort of off-putting funky note that I believe to be civet, though it's not in the note pyramid. If I were to assume that Histoires de Parfums is trying to tell stories with their scents, it would make absolute sense that the smells of booze, leather, florals, and some "nether region notes" would be in the mix.

As you go further into the drydown, the patchouli fades a bit and you're left with a powdery, vanillic yet sharp woody base from the cedar, birch and labdanum, a very prominent immortelle, and that same semi-stinky note making this smell to me like what it must be like walking into a bedroom after a bacchanalian orgy; erotic, sensual, and a little gross. Longevity is great, and projection and sillage are weak, though I think that's a good thing in this case.

I'm impressed with the construction of this fragrance, and I think Histoires de Parfum did a great job in making their olfactory golem from the infamous deeds of the man from whom we get the term "sadism." This could also be a great scent for Patrick Bateman from Bret Easton Ellis' "American Psycho." I rather enjoy everything about 1740 except for that funky note, and it's prominent enough for me that it just detracts from the rest of the fragrance and makes it something that I just would not be able to wear for any length of time. It's perfect for kind of guy who wears Bijan for Men (1981). But for a more reserved and "vanilla" fellow like myself...not so much. Still, a thumbs-up for a well-made fragrance; just one that's not for me.
16th August, 2019
Histoires de Parfums is a line that mostly draws a big yawn from me with one notable exception: 1740 Marquis de Sade, which is a terrific perfume. This is effectively a dry, dusty leather scent reminiscent of old libraries. There are many notes and accords, right from the davana to patchouli and a huge dosage of immortelle. Those who don't like immortelle would probably not enjoy 1740. There's a boozy aspect to the opening, which dissipates in about thirty minutes. There's vanilla in the dry down, but very restrained, while there are also some mild woody nuances.

1740 is quite unique, even among so many leather perfumes; first of all, don't expect a no holds barred leather scent (Tuscan Leather, as an example). Here there are several other complementary directions, because of the immortelle and the patchouli. This is probably what a leathery version of Eau Noire would smell like. 1740 has great longevity on skin, and adequate presence with strong sillage in the first two or three hours. Despite the baroque/opulent themes and (to an extent) demeanour, 1740 is quite wearable, and a versatile evening scent for me.

02nd February, 2019
1740 was an experience I will always remember. However, it was not very pleasurable. I got a good deal on a travel size bottle so I decided to opt for it.

This fragrance starts off with a blast of patchouli, a note that I am not fond of honestly unless it is blended very well. In this case it is not. It is like an assault of the most dirtiest of smells. I don't pick up much of any of the notes listed besides the obviously patchouli,cedar, birch & some leather.

I do not sense any vanilla which would have helped this fragrance a great deal to cut out all that woodiness & earthiness. That is the problem I have with 1740, it's all dry with no sweetness. These are the type of frags I cannot stand nor wear. It is made of good materials, Long lasting at least 8 hours on me, projection is ok, not great but noticeable.

The Marquis de Sade is like drinking Chianti, full of life yet no charm. Thanks, but no thanks!
25th March, 2018

Add your review of 1740 Marquis de Sade

Shop for 1740 Marquis de Sade products online

Shop for 1740 Marquis de Sade at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of 1740 Marquis de Sade

There are no member images of 1740 Marquis de Sade yet. Why not be the first?