Red Vetiver (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HouseMontale
PerfumerPierre Montale

About Red Vetiver

Red Vetiver is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Montale

Reviews of Red Vetiver

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening blast is bright: a gentle grapefruit mixed with a soft patchouli that is combined with a very restrained mix of black and white peppers - an interesting start. Whiffs of a sweet blood orange come and go too

A bit later a discreet balsamic note form a Peru balsam appears too; this aroma is gives added aroma without veering into a medicinal territory. After a while longer a vetiver arises and grows a bit more intense with time. This vetiver is bright and devoid of any significance earthiness or crispness; at times it is a bit flat.

Towards the end I get a subtle woodsy undertones that bears characteristics of cedarwood, but again it remains in the background.

I get moderate sillage, good projection, and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

This scent for cooler summer days is composed of ingredients that are not very exciting in themselves, but in the early stage they combine to a rather original whole overall impression. The art of an unusual result from mixing fairly standard components is mastered well here. The vetiver in the Montale does not play the dominant rôle one would expect from its name though, and it is a bit bland on me. Red Vetiver shows some similarity with Terre d’Hermes, but it is brighter on me and less woodsy. Overall 3.25/5
15th November, 2020
I am almost finished going through a full bottle of TDH... Yes, these 2 are very similar, but I have come to the conclusion that I like RV better...at least , to my nose , it's more robust and aromatic ...better support action from spices and woods...good blending and balance...gonna get a bottle of this instead of another bottle of TDH...
06th February, 2019
Finally got to try this one and, as expected, I have found the resemblance with Terrre d'Hermes from the first seconds. From the distance they appear to be undistinguishable, but up close I can sense how synthetic the Montale is when compared to Hermes.
In the opening there is a metallic note that fortunately doesn't hang for long. Besides that, orange and woods. Linear and good. Nearly as good as Hermes.
14th August, 2018
Somewhat resembles flowers at times. Like a floral-y green scent. The patchouli is sweetened. Has a balsamic, spicy, slightly powdery accord overall. Leans towards femme. I thoroughly enjoy this. I wish it lasted longer.
10th August, 2018
Red Vetyver

Love love.... Yes it is like another very popular Frag.
But I believe this is stronger and longer lasting.
An acquired taste.... Dirty citrus
Having this don't need the other.

10+ hours no problem there
13th February, 2018
Everybody keeps comparing this to Terre D'Hermes and many people say this one is even better because it lasts longer!
Based on these opinions I was going to blind buy Red Vetyver when I finished my Terre D'Hermes bottles.
BTW I have both EDT and Pure Parfum versions of Terre 'Hermes and love them both. It's my signature scent and every time that I don't know what to wear ... Terre D'Hermes is something that comes in my mind.
Anyway, a few weeks back one of my friends got Red Vetyver and I had a chance to test it out and see if whatever I've heard and read is true.

The opening of this fragrance is a sweet and juicy orange note mixed with some woods, some spices and maybe a lttle bit of vetiver.
The overall feeling of the scent remind me of Terre D'Hermes but dude, quality of Terre D'Hermes is something else and waaaaay better than this!
Terre D'Hermes is more aromatic and you can definitely smell black pepper and orange in it and they feel very realistic but this one is kind of synthetic!

As time passes by I can detect even more differences between these two. Red Vetyver in the drydown and base changes to a synthetic bitter woody slightly spicy kind of scent and this is where the quality of Terre D'Hermes shines even more!
Based on my experience with Red Vetyver now I know what I'm going to do when I'm finished my Terre D'Hermes bottles. I'll buy just another bottle!
There is no way that I buy Red Vetyver!
If I'm gonna buy a synthetic version of Terre D'Hermes I'll go for Rasasi brand that copies many famous fragrances with poor quality and very cheap prices. you can buy 100ml for around $15 and just like Red Vetyver it's is a synthetic and cheap version of Terre D'Hermes!
Projection and longevity is very good with Red Vetyver. moderate projection and around 6-7 hours longevity but personally I choose quality over longevity!
22nd June, 2015