Sel Marin (2008)

Sel Marin information

Year of Launch2008

HouseHeeley

About Sel Marin

Sel Marin is a shared / unisex perfume by Heeley. The scent was launched in 2008

Sel Marin fragrance notes

Reviews of Sel Marin

Lovely Citrus-salty ocean fragrance. An absolute masterpiece of a SKIN SCENTó- Several people have claimed good performance on this one and all I can think is: reformulation??? Because this sucker lasts about a minute before going full on nose against wrist, ghost juice on me.

I love the way it smells. Was hoping for a cheaper, lighter Acqua di Sale... be careful what you wish for: ITS SO LIGHT!!!

I wish I saved the money towards another bottle of the Profvmvm.
15th August, 2019
The much celebrated marine fragrance. There is an opening hit of rubbing alcohol that is offputing, but only lasts 10 seconds. Lemon, bergamot. Something sort of minty. The overall impression is that of a salty sea breeze. Salty. A couple hours later it has a salty driftwood aspect to it. There is a leather and vetiver tinge, but they never become very prominent, or make it lean at all heavy. I could wear this. Seemed to get some wafts for a few hours, not heavy, or super noticeable if you don't know what you are smelling. Seems to be a good smell for very hot weather to me. But while the tight projection will be good for high heat, I also want it to last as it will be burning off faster. Longevity is not great on this one. I'd expect more from a premium fragrance. I've got to throw in here, I find the bottle to be fantastic looking. Simple design with a handsome wood cap. Does seem like a fine fragrance, without playing to the crowd and dousing it in calone and Tonka. All things considered, not FBW.
22nd March, 2019
This is my number one fragrance for high-heat summer when anything even slightly sweet becomes cloying and sickly. I remember respraying on a packed train home in the height of last summer (to hide the fug of a carriage-full of hot sweaty people) and was immediately taken to the end of a jetty surrounded by a salty breeze, sea spray and the faintest twist of citrus-y fresh seaweed. Like a breath of fresh sea air!
27th January, 2019
I don't like aquatics, but this one is pleasant. Although itís not my favorite blend, I can see the quality in the composition, doesn't smell synthetic and it's soft, airy and linear. Good for a warm summer day when you'd want something for cooling off.
09th October, 2018
Heeley Sel Marin has a top-tier reputation among aquatic fragrances, so I'm glad to finally sample it (via a Luckyscent dabber, albeit). I gravitate toward heavier / cold weather fragrances so it's always a treat to try a new freshie.

As it's name suggests, it's salt water, mainly, with a few interesting hints added: seaweed, vetiver, birch, and lemon, each proving useful to add both variation and depth to the blend.

On my skin, Sel Marin comes off slightly minty, as well, not necessarily good or bad, but it makes the blend more nuanced.

I like salty aquatics like this. One that comes to mind is the rarely-discussed Nautica Oceans that rarely atomizes well but instead is launched in watery bursts and provides the simply scent of salty water but without the dirtiness of calone.

Sel Marin is more subtle, by comparison, but I have reservations about whether it's worth the $180 for 100ml retail pricing. As a premier aquatic offering, it could be worthwhile to anyone who loves it, but I have a difficult time regarding its performance as strong from a dabber, and if it requires a bunch of sprays to last, that could diminish its value.

At minimum, it's a very good entry that I'd like to wear some more, and clearly it was created with care, and is worthy of sampling by anyone, as it's a solid warm weather option.

7 out of 10
12th July, 2018
This is not how the ocean smells in NYC. This is the scent of the ocean from the deck of a cargo ship transporting citrus fruit. Clean, but with that subtle hint of green, salty seaweed to liven up everything. Toward the end you can even smell the deckhands leather gloves.

Nice and light. I immediately got a blast of lemon and salt, which quickly dissipated, leaving a more subtle citrus and sea salt. After about 30 min that green/seaweed note becomes apparent. It ends with a salty, leather and wood note. Very nice all around, but longevity isnt great.
16th May, 2018 (last edited: 22nd May, 2018)

Add your review of Sel Marin