Lyric Man (2008)

HouseAmouage
PerfumerDaniel Visentin
Creative DirectorChristopher Chong

About Lyric Man

Lyric Man is a masculine fragrance by Amouage. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Daniel Visentin

Lyric Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Lyric Man

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is a rich canvas of flowers, mainly risen, orange blossom, angelica with hints of muguet. Initially a touch of citrus and some bergamot are brightening it up, but the flowers rule.

Of all this floral opening bouquet the rose is the strongest, but it is not a rose that towers above the rest, it is rather integrated with the whole. A medium night flower, not light but also not very intensive, it is characterised by the lack of any significant stem or leafy component in it. A bit letter a bit of gingers spices if the floral array.

The drydown signals a shift towards a spicier side, with galbanum and nutmeg showing up initially, followed. These are quite slim, but a saffron impression, richer and smoother, is giving them more depth and texture. With the saffron a restrainedly powdery element is added in.

The later stages combines woods with spices. The woods are sandal and pine, with the sandalwood more perfunctory on me, and the pine Vers refined but rather weak - this is no pine-o-clean. The spices are mainly a musk that has a touch of a crisp and nigh-screechy component to it, as well as a musk that is comparatively mild. An incense of moderate intensity and a smidgeon of ceremoniousness arises more towards the end, but I do not get any camphor of medicinal qualities here. A mild vanilla accent adds just am the amount of well-dosed sweetness to provide the perfect balance.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

This confident and self-assured rose-and-spice scent for cooler spring evenings is complex but not overloaded to an extent that it loses focus. The quality of the ingredients is impressive, and the blending quite refined, and the performance is satisfactory; but this is not a creation that sores into supreme heights. Overall 3.5/5.
14th December, 2019
Hell no, just Hell no!

This is one of those scents where if it where made by a designer house, or really any other house than the venerated Amouage, it would be criticized off the face of the earth for being a frilly, womanly, pedestrian, grandmother's handsoap type of fragrance smell.

Just hell no.
05th December, 2019
Amouage’s Lyric Man first came into my possession as a sample card that a kind Ebayer gifted me with the purchase of a decant from a completely different house. Two years since then, and with my sample well-finished long ago, I can only thank this kind person who first introduced me to the house of Amouage. During my continual search for the perfect rose—after Dior’s Oud Ispahan, Montale’s Highness Rose, Amouage’s Homage and Tribute, Xerjoff’s Zafar, and Malle’s Portrait of a Lady—I remain haunted by this fragrance whose meaning has slowly revealed itself to me like the most cryptic and sacred poem, tinged with rose, pine, and musk.

The debate over whether Lyric Man is feminine or not doesn’t matter to me much. I will wear anything I like. With that said, the following association ends up reverting back to gender anyways:

Lyric Man reminds me of smelling a young woman, fresh out of the shower, who is dressed in a light, flowing camisole and white cotton pajama shorts that do little more than cover a small part of her. She’s on your bed, brushing her still wet hair. At some point, you sneak in to give her a kiss on the neck before she falls over, laughing. As you start to travel down her body, from the back of her neck, where you kiss her again, and down her back, your face eventually reaches the softest part of her. You inhale through the thin, white cotton. That’s Lyric Man.

How this association still permits me to spray myself with glee every time I visit the perfume counter is due to the fact that I don’t mind smelling like I’ve laid in bed with the sweetest woman. One has to love the scent of fresh skin and intimacy. Bereft of the sultriness of romance, of wine and cigarettes and the night, or of mystery and libertarian indulgence, Lyric Man is for the poet who’s now alone and ready to compose a few verses for his lover who he and the world can only smell as a recent memory.
29th October, 2019
Lyric Man (2008)

Although not listed in the note tree, there is a subtle presence of oud in the woody supporting base notes, which eventually takes over and ruins Lyric Man for me. Oud is being used everywhere in scents these days and my nose simply loathes it. It has the effect of ammonia, acrid, bitter and repellent.

This is a definite thumbs down for me as the oud presence makes it impossible to detect any of the notes except the rose, which strikes me as dull and out of focus .

25th May, 2019
I think this is an extraordinary rose perfume. Rich, intense, and abrasive although fairly linear on my skin. I get no real progression here, it's straightforward. But I love this scent's representation of the rose - tart and pungent balanced with a velvety flowery sweetness. From the start it's dark but sharp - lime AND bergamot as the opening. I was unsure what angelica and galbanum notes give so checked and found the word 'bracing' used for each. So the initial citrus assault is followed immediately by these invigorating notes alongside spicy nutmeg and ginger. But that's not all - in the base there's a sappy pine note! So this takes off, climbs, soars, and remains stratospheric.
These 'high' almost bitter notes are tempered though by florals: the rose itself; earthy saffron, and orange blossom. Vanilla sweetens too and, with some santal, rounds the edges somewhat. Depth is added, in my opinion, by incense and musk, which provide a broody, gently swirling animalic feel.
To me, the overall mental picture this juice gives me is one of a dark, dark red rose as used perhaps in a Grimm fairytale. There's also something in the bitter acidity of the citrus, and the earthier 'bracing' notes that's summons the metallic tang of blood. After 4 or so hours on my skin things begin to settle into a more conventional, but definitely not lightweight, rose. Superb.
24th February, 2019
Didn’t initially like this one as I thought it was too feminine, but on the dry down decomes something unique, fresh and beautiful. Not a compliment getter (apart from my wife), but I love it.
22nd February, 2019

Add your review of Lyric Man

Shop for Lyric Man products online

Shop for Lyric Man at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Lyric Man

There are no member images of Lyric Man yet. Why not be the first?