Géranium pour Monsieur (2009)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Géranium pour Monsieur information

Year of Launch2009

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerDominique Ropion
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Géranium pour Monsieur

Géranium pour Monsieur is a masculine fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Ropion

Géranium pour Monsieur fragrance notes

Reviews of Géranium pour Monsieur

Fresh mint, sharp aromatic geranium, and sticky herbal anise. Others have said it comes together as Citronella and I totally get that, at least for the opening. That first hour is hefty, not really like anything I've tried before.

It's also a bit of flash in the pan. After that first hour or so the citronella smell subdues and you get mostly the mint left behind, which sticks much closer to the skin. At my first sample it felt a bit too mature for me, but it's grown on me. It's definitely a sophisticated fragrance. I think if the whole of the fragrance somehow bridged the gap between that hefty opening and the soft drydown, it would be a lot more enjoyable.
24th November, 2019 (last edited: 06th December, 2019)
Geranium Pour Monsieur opens with a burst of citronella. Years ago, when I first sampled it, my immediate reaction was "BUGSPRAY!" I don't know if it has changed or I have changed since then, but now when I smell it the citronella doesn't bother me at all or convey an impression of bugspray other than the basic connection between insect repellent and citronella. I still find citronella a bit of an odd smell, but something about it is refreshing, and it's not long before the citronella settles down and makes way for the mint. GPM's mint is treated interestingly here--it's not sweet at all--instead it's altogether enhanced by that ingredient of its namesake, Geranium. What results is a combination that is bitter, bracing, and cool to the point of almost seeming detached. But it is also extremely refreshing. This cold composition works wonders in the heat, and has a great knack for helping clear one's head on a groggy, foggy morning. And just when Geranium's cool character has persisted long enough, just when its aloof iciness is beginning to feel a little too unfriendly and distant, in comes the amber and benzoin to provide it with exactly the right amount of warmth to put it back into our good graces and keep it there for the rest of the ride. This little twist that occurs just beyond the halfway mark is brilliant, and one of the reasons I now have such an appreciation for this scent. I can rely on Geranium Pour Monsieur to provide the chilly, cooling facets of geranium and mint with none of the sweetness until the very moment it is required. Ropion's composition has solid performance with present-but-unobtrusive projection and above average longevity. It also smells very natural. GPM is a great counter part to Menthe Fraiche. Both are natural, refreshing, shining examples of mint, and while Menthe Fraiche shows some of the ingredient's sweeter, watery facets, Geranium Pour Monsieur showcases its drier, bitter-cool astringency. Thumbs up and highly recommended for sampling. The only thing keeping this from a blind buy recommendation is the citronella note, which some may be more sensitive to than others. Final rating: 9/10
13th August, 2019
Géranium pour Monsieur is an aromatic woody composition, first launched in 2000, and surely reformulated or retouched over the next seventeen years. I've been familiar with it since 2014, and wearing it has been an experience of joy and frustration. The first phase of Géranium pour Monsieur is herbal, dominated by an intense note of mint; heaven for mint lovers, hell for those who don't like it. This is my favourite part, and it works like a charm - especially after a shave. The mint is paired together with a geranium, which slowly blooms before maturing at about one to two hours. I discern a mild spice aspect, involving eugenol and traces of cinnamon. It is from this stage onwards that Géranium pour Monsieur quickly dies down on my skin to a base of nondescript white musks (but not strong, unlike the laundry musk of Cologne Indelebile) and woods, that one can barely register. A very promising aromatic disintegrating into a limp fresh-woody fragrance.

While Géranium pour Monsieur is one of the few mint compositions that avoid the olfactory cliché of toothpaste, it is eventually insubstantial and underwhelming. I feel that this is one of the Malle compositions (together with Vetiver Extraordinaire) that is in serious need of a renovation. In my experience (based on bottles I owned), it lasts longer in slightly cool and dry weather, rather than summers; in fact, this was once featured as a fall pick by Katie Puckrik. Given its current incarnation, I find Mugler's Fougere Furieuse to be a far more compelling alternative when looking for a modern fresh-aromatic with a prominent geranium. Another possibility is Equipage Geranium; while there's a plethora of mint fragrances on the market to choose from starting with Lush's Dirty, toothpaste or otherwise.

11th January, 2018
I'm torn between neutral and thumbs up on this one. I smell mint, and sometimes a spicy cinnamon, especially early on. The initial opening is exciting; some of the early transitions are challenging; and the base is a nice minty floral with good longevity and some rewarding moments that win me over.
20th November, 2016
M. Gustave ( Ralph Fiennes ) : The Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson
11th November, 2016 (last edited: 27th September, 2018)
From a 5ml sample over 3 days.
For over a year I've been searching for a mint-based fragrance, because I don't identify with citrus, and I've sampled many. How ironic, that I finally happen upon this, the one that I like best of all, that certainly has mint, but only in a minor role. Geranium: alien to my northern nose, yet feels like it should have been a scent I've always known.
Not too much mint at the start, a cool, fresh, lemony-rosey floral that makes me think of Turkish Delight confectionery. And a second later is an authentic herbaceous smell. Like pressing your face into a green bouquet covered with cold raindrops. Or a garden, covered in dew, in the morning before everything starts again. Like someone else said here, it's uplifting, it is really uplifting. Then it's soapy, like really old fashioned soap. What an enigma: times an intensely real unmistakable mint and floral, times an absolutely synthetic, soapy rose. For something that is, at face value, simple and linear, it isn't, it plays with you, like a cool breeze blowing in suggestions of the garden flowers outside in through a bathroom window.
I thought this would be so so easy to explain, but in reality I can't find the right language to describe this lovely scent.
It's sillage is soft, it won't turn heads, but that's not important to me as this is an intensely personal experience which isn't about other people. There are other scents, other times, for that. Longevity is several hours, although all but the first of those hours are a faint, cool, fleeting floral breath, that briefly blows in the window, or the faintest reminder of the soap you washed with (take your choice) just when you think it was gone forever, never to return.
January 2016
26th January, 2016

Add your review of Géranium pour Monsieur

Shop for Géranium pour Monsieur products online

Shop for Géranium pour Monsieur at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Géranium pour Monsieur

There are no member images of Géranium pour Monsieur yet. Why not be the first?