A*Men Pure Malt (2009)

PerfumerJacques Huclier
SupplierGivaudan
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About A*Men Pure Malt

A*Men Pure Malt is a masculine fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Huclier

A*Men Pure Malt fragrance notes

Reviews of A*Men Pure Malt

I have been on a bit of a Mugler kick recently since I picked up some sample bottles of A*Men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane and Pure Tonka (I know, late to the party). I wrote all of these fragrances off on the basis that I didn't like A*Men when I first smelled it.

I'll be the first to hold up my hands and say I was wrong.

Of the samples listed above I bought full bottles of Pure Malt and Pure Havane and to be quite honest, I struggle to choose between the two.

Pure Malt opens with a nice heady, booziness which is backed up by the A*Men DNA but is not overbearing or cloying. Pure Malt isn't quite as groundbreaking as the original A*Men or B*Men however it is very wearable and I find it to be a lovely, light-ish, oriental gourmand that lasts all day.

It really is unbelievable that a designer fragrance at this price point could be so good. If, like me, you can't choose between Pure Malt and any of the other flankers available in your country (in the UK it's Pure Havane) then at the price point you could easily afford both.

I hope this is around for many years to come.
23rd July, 2020
Not my bag to smell like a high end beer was spilled on a generic, lacquer sealed table, but maybe some enjoy that. I would've hoped for more in the drydown, but nope, pretty linear; just yeasty beer.

Projection and longevity were average for the house, so you don't get the usual Mugler benefit of beating everyone in the grocery store over the head with your scent. Which is probably a benefit, as you might be cited for Public Intoxication.

Maybe this cup of tea, or brew, is for you, but I expect more from this house.
21st March, 2020
Just behind Pure Havane, but its a close second :) FANTASTIC designer fragrance.
23rd December, 2019
Possibly the most overhyped fragrance of all time.

Some of the reviews here say that this is a blind buy, and the amount of praise that Pure Malt receives here would certainly lead one to believe that that may be the case, but let me assure you that this is not a blind-buy, and there's a very good chance that it's not a "buy" at all.

It's built on the Type-2 diabetes-inducing A*Men (1996) chassis, and the first blast is an intensely sweet synthetic that reminds me of a dirtier H.M. (1997) by Hanae Mori. Where people are getting the notion that this smells like booze -- nonetheless Scotch whisky, THE booze made from malt and peat -- is beyond me. I am a big fan of Scotch whisky. I have had a lot of Scotch whisky in my time. I know how to spell it correctly. In fact, I've even been to Scotland twice and have worked for a Scotland-based company! This smells like whisky about as much as lime Jolly Ranchers taste like biting into a fresh lime, which is to say "a passing resemblance" at best. As this is built upon the A*Men platform, this is best left to younger gentleman, and old folks north of 40 years of age, such as myself, should probably pass on this. It smells like something that belongs at a club, and certainly not at any place one would consider "elegant" or "refined." You certainly shouldn't wear this in any professional or office setting. Longevity is fair, though projection and sillage are good.

This isn't an objectively "bad" scent, but I almost feel it to be in the interest of the public good that I make it clear that this is not a blind buy, nor is it a crowning achievement, nor is it a classic. It's one of the better A*Men flankers, and that statement alone, parsed exactly as is, will give you all that you need to know.

I'm generous with my neutral on this one.
20th November, 2019 (last edited: 21st November, 2019)
This smells to me like the smell of a bar right after it opens in the morning. It somehow is too sweet and too bitter at the same time. It IS and interesting smell, and doesn't smell like the run of the mill fragrance, which gives it up marks, but I'm just not sure it smells GOOD. As it burned throughout the day I feel like the scent blended well with my skin and almost smelled better after a while. Performance pretty good. Value pretty good. All things considered I'm going with a thumbs up here.
20th September, 2019
Now that Mugler's about to be purchased by L'Oreal I've been trying to sample their whole line quickly, with fear that the takeover will result in reformulations and ruined scents. Unfortunately, Pure Malt already appears to have been weakened even before the merge. The opening is lovely and I think the fruit (albeit a bit artificial smelling) combines with the malt and the A*men DNA in a really interesting way. Based on the opening alone it's my favorite of the line so far. However, it dies down to a skin scent within an hour. Other reviewers have said the original formulation lasts forever. Really disappointing, guess I don't need to nail down a bottle.
11th September, 2019