Ambre Nuit (2009)

PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Ambre Nuit

François Demachy:

The idea was to create a sensual Rose by combining it with Ambergris, two of the most emblematic ingredients used by perfumers. This accord was particularly important to me; I worked on it for many years before successfully creating Ambre Nuit.

The fragrance was originally part of the company's Dior Homme Cologne line, which was conceived by then creative director, Hedi Slimane.

Ambre Nuit fragrance notes

Reviews of Ambre Nuit

When dreams come true, Ambre Nuit should be worn.

This is a delightful oriental scent.
The amber is dry and crisp, caused by delicious bergamot, grapefruit and a fine rose. The pepper is rather present too.
I could wish for more sillage. On the other hand, I adore the private world this wonderful concoction creates.
Once again I am smitten with a beautiful contradiction: warmth and zest.

In my top ten.
20th February, 2020
Ambre Nuit is a bit of a meh experience for me. It's a rose and amber combo with a little sharp citrus sitting at the top. Not feminine like I was expecting it to be. The rose doesn't stand out sharply. I also get a bit of plastic or rubberyness that I normally associate with oud, however it's not a listed note here.

It's also super soft. I've heard that many of the maison Dior line have been watered down over the years, and my experience with AN falls in line with that expectation. I'll be sure to give it another few wearings and see if I can get a bit more oomph out of it. But for now, the performance doesn't match the price. I also have Feve Delicieuse, Spice Blend, and Oud Ispahan to try, to see if they've fared a bit better.
09th February, 2020
The positive side is that it has a dryer take on amber. It would therefore project as masculine. But the negative one is that it lacks the beautiful powdery and what I call fresh mushroom smell of amber. Very nice though. Even for a young woman.
01st February, 2020
Ive worn it half a dozen times, I was initially loving it, now, eh. It is really "pretty." To me it is a pink hued champagne. It tastes good, sure. It is refined. I'd prefer a beer. I wanted my wife to wear it, she's not a fan, though she gave no reason. So I'll sit on my 10ml, rechecking to see if something changes for me. A bit too feminine for me, a bit too soft. Its not an "amber" fragrance, I'd say the lead here is a kind of salty rose.
24th November, 2019
Christian Dior Ambre Nuit (2009) is spoken about in superlatives, and deservedly so, as it has survived well beyond its original intended purpose as a late entry into a limited-edition cologne line began in 2004. The creative director at the time (Heidi Slimane) had made all of these colognes unisex in nature, and the ones that survived (including Ambre Nuit) would receive concentration upgrades and be re-launched as part of the Christian Dior Prive line in 2010, alongside newer entries at the time like Leather Oud (2010); all of these have been made by house perfumer François Demachy. Later on in 2018, when the Christian Dior Prive line was revamped and further distanced from the designer-tier perfumes by being renamed Maison Christian Dior, Ambre Nuit survived culling again, and is now pretty much the most popular entry in the prestige house-within-a-house at Dior, alongside newer selections like Fève Délicieuse (2015) and Balade Sauvage (2018). Ambre Nuit is a bit misleading in name, as it does not have amber, but rather contains rose and ambergris as its main focus, two beyond-classic ingredients associated with the 18th and 19th centuries which gave birth to most Western conventions about perfume. Fans of green rose chypres or jammy rose scents might see Ambre Nuit as a bit too "grandma" for their liking, but lovers of orientals will be all over this.

Ambre Nuit is labeled unisex, but I think this leans feminine according to most mainstream tastes due to the soft glow of the rose and ambergris, but for ardent rose fans this does in fact swing unisex. The opening is sweet grapefruit and betrgamot, which lends Ambre Nuit a modern freshness, if only for the first few minutes. Once the dark Turkish rose and round pink pepper notes of the heart kick in, the oriental intent of Ambre Nuit becomes quite clear, and never lets go for the duration of the wear. This sweet rose tandem is made all the sweeter by a smooth cistus labdanum base warmed by the ambergris which gives the scent its name, and hours of indulgent sillage result. Ambre Nuit can be quite suffocating in large doses, and this is in no way a scent for anything other than cold weather if used outside, with a day's worth of projection even in the winter's chill. I'd say Ambre Nuit is best for formal evening events and romantic use, as the smell of rose often implies romance anyway, especially when mulled over as it is here. Demachy delivers a fairly textbook treatment of rose and ambergris with Ambre Nuit, using only a few modern embellishments in a rather spartan, uncomplicated composition. Dior may not strictly be seen as niche even in its prestige lines, but this is niche perfumery by definition regardless. Ambre Nuit doesn't compromise in what it wants to be by adhering to a budget or demographic spread, and doesn't have a ton of blending to hide the seams between ingredients, delivering its message without regard to sales figures or trends, which is far more admirable than many self-proclaimed niche perfumes flooding the luxury segment.

I really like Ambre Nuit, although I admit the staunch traditionalism of a rich rose and ambergris perfume will turn away most modern noses looking for "fresh", or "dynamic" perfumes that speak to their generation with expertly-calculated aromachemicals designed for "performance" and "compliments", but the old heads here that hate anything made in the 21st century might find a bit of redemption in Ambre Nuit, if they can get past the steep prestige price tag. If you're willing to drop double what Dior wants for most of its department store fare, you'll be in for a real treat if rose and convincing ambergris is your fetish (whether it is ambroxide or the real stuff from whales), but for folks not looking to wear an exercise in adapting historical perfume combinations to modern luxury use, the rest of the more-recent Maison Christian Dior releases might be of greater interest. Perfumes in this price range tend to create more deliberation before purchase, and I can't blame anyone saying stuff like this is simply too much, but there is still something to be said about the simple beauty of this scent; it has survived the rebooting of its own line thrice so far, and Ambre Nuit still makes top lists of perfumes for rose lovers. I do find the heavy-handed combination of key ingredients a bit stifling here, but a light application in the right context can solve any problems of being cloying to the wearer. Solid thumbs up, but be sure to sample before diving in, as this is one rose perfume that hits hard and doesn't let go until you scrub it off multiple times.
17th April, 2019
Words cannot do justice to this gem. Outstanding scent. Almost unreal...

28th December, 2018