Burning Barbershop (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HouseD.S. & Durga
PerfumerDavid Moltz

About Burning Barbershop

Burning Barbershop is a masculine fragrance by D.S. & Durga. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer David Moltz

Burning Barbershop fragrance notes

Reviews of Burning Barbershop

If youíve read/ watched any reviews on Burning Barbershop before, or well even read the name, you know pretty much the kind of fragrance youíre getting into.

It is definitely a simple concept but this by no means is a simplistic fragrance. Iíll come clean that Iíve not smelled all too many barbershop fragrances but just enough to recognize them.

YMMV with this but burning barbershop is most definitely far from what I expected. In the opening it smelled kind of like chewing tobacco along with a fleeting gasoline accord, dry incense and a bunch of strong spices which was an overall scent profile I didn't enjoy all that much. It honestly smelled like a bit of a mess but not entirely unpleasant. It just wasn't clear where it was going.

However once it had a chance to dry down, it smelled more like what itís advertised to be. It smelled _exactly_ like the powder along with the after shave that barbers apply on you after a nice, straight-razor shave in an old-timey barbershop. The (not smoky) incense kinda changes into camos at this point so you canít really see it unless youíre looking for it. While itís fairly a linear scent from this point on, it never becomes a boring scent to me.

Believe it or not, where I come from, incense sticks are often a staple in barbershops, especially if you go early in the morning. Itís a tradition that (religious) barbershop owners follow every single day. They start off their days with a prayer ritual which is concluded with lighting up a couple of incense sticks.

It brings back childhood memories when I used to go to my local barber's for haircuts. Of course I did get a shave there myself but I could always smell that powder and the aftershave when someone else has gotten fresh shave along with that incense.

With more and more 'modern' salons being opened where I live, barbershops have kinda fallen by the wayside. I donít really visit them anymore since I shave my own head and trim my beard since I donít trust my local barber with a beard trim (my fellow bearded bros know what Iím talking about). But wearing this scent absolutely makes me want to go back to a barbershop, if only for olfactive purposes. If you've had any prior pleasant memories related to barbershops, Iím pretty sure you'd want to go back too!

*Scent Profile* To me it's not really the smell of a burning barbershop but is an exceptionally vivid barbershop scent to be sure. It smells like the bottled up version of my classic barbershop experience (not the last time youíll see me say Ďbarbershopí). Goes without saying that itís a higher quality version of the barbershop powder paired up with a bunch of spices for a little oomph. It has a strong lavender note (duh) with nuances of rose, a touch of sandalwood and a little drop of minty freshness to keep it from becoming too heavy or dense. It also has a tiny amount of cinnamon which you might find youíre looking for it and of course that incense I talked about earlier. Though itís not a burnt or smoky incense itís more like the scent of the incense stick itself. Definitely stay away from it if youíre worried about your fragrances smelling like powder because thatís kind of what the entire fragrance is based up on.

All that being said, if youíre someone who is looking for a signature scent for the office or a fragrance to garner you tons of compliments, this ainít it chief. While itís not an 80s powerhouse type fragrance, it is also a far cry from a modern, mass appealing, ultra-versatile scent that was built for utility. To my nose, itís undoubtedly masculine, mature and something you can easily see a cool grandpa wearing. That doesnít take away from the fact this is a gentlemanly scent that you can easily pull off if you have the personality for it even if youíre younger.

The best part to me, if it is not already clear so far, definitely how photo-realistic the barbershop-ness of burning barbershop actually is. Itís a challenging scent but not in the way you might think it is, from reading other reviews. Highly highly recommend you sample this one if you havenít already. Even if itís not something you might want to wear every day, itís absolutely a marvelous olfactive journey to experience.

*Performance* For those who care, with about 4 sprays, this lasted me 8 hours comfortably with a pretty nice scent bubble in the first 2 hours. It gradually sat closer and closer to the skin after each passing hour.
It's one Iíd wear on milder to cooler days but can easily pull it off when the temperature is not absolutely scalding wherever you live.

This is my first ever fragrance review ever! I hope that helped you understand my experience of it and what you can expect if youíre interested in it.

I appreciate you spending the time to read the review so far :)

19th November, 2020
Burning Barbershop by @dsanddurga is ethereal yet warm. Smoky, charred and almost roasted. Pleasant cosmetic notes and gentle fougere accords intertwine with the naturalistic aroma of smoke and warm, moist soot as well as with a beautiful, deep, aromatic accord combining the subtle herbal nature of lavender with the sweetness of vanilla.

The combination of a rich and complex bouquet of pure, delicate notes with the disturbing, dirty aroma of conflagration site has produced an effect that is difficult to remain indifferent to. The scent draws attention, intrigues and amazes.

Burning Barbershop clearly and successfully refers to the classics of the genre, but at the same time it takes the said genre to a completely new level.
08th August, 2020
The effect of this one is stunning. A stereotypical fresh barbershop clean masculine rendered under an amber tint; lavender, vanilla, spearmint, and limeóall in equal measureóbehind smoked glass. Not smoke, per se (or at least not in how I think of it more masterfully rendered, in such compositions as La Curie's Incendo, or even DS & Durga's own Mississippi Medicine), but some deeper concentration that brings all those classics to be more themselves, as if roasted. It's quite rich, lasts forever, and projects itself widely. In other words, it's quite the performer should you find it to suit you.

But... it just doesn't suit me, even after trying it a few times over the past few years. Maybe it's too close to some real memories of talcum powder, bad haircuts, and feigned masculinity. But for fans of those classic manly scents looking for something a little grittier, a little more assured, this could be it. (7/10)
28th October, 2018
I wouldn't mind a scented candle that smells like this to give a room a fantastic smokey ambiance, but wearing this as a fragrance would be a challenge.

Initial thoughts: It's a couple different kinds of smoke overlaid over some powdery soapy scents. Hard to differentiate the sweeter notes behind the smoke at first. Almost like a sweet smokey tobacco scent.

Curious to see how this develops in a few hours..
31st January, 2018
rbaker Show all reviews
The fiery opening blast caused a reflex reaction to grab my phone to dial the emergency number for the fire brigade: A very realistic note of burnt rubber mixed with the impression of barbecue smokiness. The first thirty minutes are very intensely smoky, but in the drydown this burnt component mellows gradually into a more restrained smokiness, mixed with glimpses of minty moments shining through the smoky haze.

Once mellowed, darker floral impressions with an earthy lavender are combined with a dark vanilla that is skillfully and respectfully interwoven with the other notes and never in the foreground nor intrusive or heavy. This unusually discrete use of vanilla has struck me as a special skill of this house on previous occasions when sampling their creations.

I get moderate sillage, excellent longevity and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

This smoke blast will wake you up on a winter morning, but when you arrive at work the metamorphosis into a wearable scent is complete. Well done, albeit a bit linear in the drydown and base. 3.25/5
01st June, 2016
Burning Barbershop is a good follow up to Bowmakers, as the woody and leathery aspects are still there, but the spicy/herby notes are more dominant. Also pervasive is a smokiness that I can't really attribute to any particular note. Very acerbic opening with a more mellow, agreeable dry down. The vanilla is very subtle, even in the dry down, as the fragrance as a whole remains pretty bold throughout its lifespan.

It has strong projection and longevity, and is more of a cold weather option, for sure, but seems like it dresses up well at night as in the day. Much like Bowmakers, this is an option I might reach for again based on curiosity alone.

7 out of 10
01st July, 2015

Add your review of Burning Barbershop

Shop for Burning Barbershop products online

Shop for Burning Barbershop at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Burning Barbershop

There are no member images of Burning Barbershop yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]