Aventus (2010)

(based on 1938 votes)

HouseCreed
Parent CompanyCreed

About Aventus

The exceptional Aventus was inspired by the dramatic life of a historic emperor, celebrating strength, power and success. Introduced in 2010 and crafted by the deft hand of Sixth Generation Master Perfumer Olivier Creed in collaboration with his son Erwin, this scent has grown to become the best-selling fragrance in the history of the brand. Olivier created its iconic name derived from a ("from") ventus ("the wind"), illustrating the Aventus man as destined to live a driven life, ever galloping with the wind at his back toward success. Aventus is a sophisticated blend for individuals who savor a life well-lived.

Aventus fragrance notes

Reviews of Aventus

You know that guy in your office who has never seen Lord of The Rings III, and you say to yourself - “How is that possible? The cinematography...the soundtrack...Viggo Mortensen!?!?”

Well, that’s me. I have only yesterday experienced Aventus for the very first time. Now I smell like a barbecued pineapple, wearing sweaty gym socks, hangin' at the beach....for 10 hours. When do all the hot girls start showing up?

In truth, the manufacturing of artificial hype and literal hysteria around certain batches of this product never sat well with me. If you want to charge $500 dead presidents for a swig of your juice, then own it, and set the market.

Expectations weren't very high as the fragrance is centered around a hilarious ad campaign inspired by the personality and history of conquests of Napoleon Bonaparte. A quote from the man himself - "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." Internalize the shame and hand over your credit card...pleeb.

Moving on.

Decision time - 1 flacon of this juice vs. the monthly payment on my 2016 Hyundai Elantra? Damn....my brain hurts!

You see, that’s who is targeted to wear this frag, the guy who wants to appear confident, have good taste, can actually afford it, etc... but isn’t, doesn't and can't. All status and no substance.

Pro Tip #1 young Aventus - The confidence comes first, THEN the fragrance.

Let's examine the Pros & Cons:

PROS:

+ Likes on Social Media (Yey, I have friends!)

+ Pre-determined name of first born son - "Jeremy"

+ 60% of the time, it works every time!

CONS:

- Kneeling to your new God (Hint: starts with an A...rhymes with Syphilis)

- Still having to wear your vintage stash of Curve to the office everyday to preserve your Aventus (kneel!)

- Your new signature scent: REPO MAN (that damn car payment again!)

Pro Tip #2 young Aventus: Jovan Sex Appeal Cologne / $12 for 3 oz. / Bills paid / Car still parked in driveway / Like a BOSS

1 star.
24th September, 2020
10 years on and what can I say about Creed's Aventus. Well, it changed the face of male fragrance as we know it and took over from Terre d'Hermes as THE go to fragrance for any male looking to impress.

However this is the problem for me. I remember about 5 years ago at my workplace and 3 guys had clubbed together to buy a 30ml bottle of Aventus for the sole purpose of showing off that they "wore Creed". Aventus has become synonymous, in equal measure, with both gentlemen that can afford to purchase and wear it, and those that just want to, for want of a better term, show off.

When Aventus came out it was new, there was nothing else like it. Pineapple, blackcurrant, ambergris, musk, WOW!.

Now, 10 years later, almost every designer brand has an Aventus smell-a-like.

Additionally, I personally feel that Aventus is the main driver behind Creed's insane pricing. The last bottle I bought about 5 years ago was a 120ml Millesime Imperiale and it cost me about £160. That same price doesn't even get me a 50ml bottle these days. That doesn't even account for the fact that Aventus, for some unknown reason, is more expensive than any other standard Creed fragrance.

Creed now blur the lines between designer and niche. In the past, designer brands were admired for trying to push fragrances into the niche market however as far as I am aware, no niche brand decided to push their full priced products into a designer market. I doff my cap to Creed as it seems to have paid off for them.

Aventus is not a bad fragrance however, 10 years on, it is less about the fragrance and more about being a status symbol.

Get yourself a smell-a-like and I bet that 99% of people can't tell the difference.
29th July, 2020
My Fragrance Journey, #001

Aventus, or A New Scope

I have decided to review every perfume on my way since the day my love with this hobby started, in chronological order. Doing this, I can simultaneously reflect on my own little baby steps as a newbie fragrance lover, for example when I learned to single out a new note or something the like. Since Aventus was the perfume that started everything for me, this review might be a bit longer, as it is meant to set context for the following ones.

As with many fragrance enthusiasts, it all started when I needed a new one. Before, I was the kind of guy who would buy a bottle and... you know how the story goes. Flashback to December 2019, my bottle of Aigner’s Statement had ran out and I started to research for something pleasant, distinctive, and versatile. Googled a little, found Basenotes and could not stop reading for 3 weeks straight. Flash forward, it’s January 4th, 2020, and I’m on my way to Douglas bearing in mind the names of supposedly well liked frags to try. The first thing I saw there was actually Dior’s Sauvage, and I truly believe to have unknowingly passed the 1st Basenotes test in that moment — I grabbed it, sniffed the bottle and must have looked as if someone just kicked me in the back. Never in my life would I put that on my skin to try. Then I saw the Creeds and first sprayed some Aventus on paper.

Aventus is known for its very distinctive and pleasant opening that most people seem to like — and mind you, despite my research, I was still pretty much unaware of any controversies surrounding the house of Creed, the existence of YouTube-channels for perfume, or this scent‘s reputation that made avid readers of men’s magazines or websites frantically save for a bottle of this juice, hoping for great effect on whatever sexually preferred gender. So, I smelled the opening, and MAN... was I not overwhelmed! It smelled okay to me. Quite good. I didn’t even put it on my skin (super beginner back then). But I bought it. What on earth made me shell out retail for 50ml of this expensive stuff without even being floored by it is still beyond me, but looking back, I am so grateful. When I got home, I put it on my skin, sniffed, and now I liked that famously fruity and slightly smoky opening, all of a sudden. Mmmhhh! It felt refreshing, but mature, and just very interesting. I didn’t get an awful lot of pineapple, but it was there, and the bergamot and apple notes were in the foreground, smoothly caressed by the birch tar, which made it so interestingly smoky. And then, it was gone. Not completely gone as in nose blindness, which Aventus is also very likely to induce, partly to the presence of moderate amounts of Iso E Super and the facts that some of its notes kill your smell quickly anyway, but I would only learn about that later. No, the top just faded, and I was left with a heart that, although nice, seemed nowhere as interesting to me as that awesome head. Plus, I started to detect vanilla, and a note that I imagined to be the musk from the note pyramid, although I was still used to the heavy animalic musks worn during the 80s and well into the 90s by some people around me. During the next days, I got to know the fragrance better.

So, some maybe seven or eight weeks followed during which I wore my new Aventus happily and every day. It really had an effect on me! When I put it on in the morning and went to work, it put a big smile on my face. It boosted my confidence, woke me up and I felt superb. It was a ritual. It gave me a good mood every single morning. In my naivety, I though I had some kind of secret thing on that nobody knew or would be wearing, so that also was a plus for me. Only later I really got to know the massive hype around this and all the things it would be associated with, and this leads to the part of my review that might actually shed some new light on this modern classic: I do not think it smells like alpha males, like business men, like a disguise for an ultimately insecure personality, or anything the likes. Not at all. My scent socialization does not connect fruity-floral-musky scents to these types. I find Aventus actually almost daring for people who might search for something in that vein. It is pretty, it has rose and jasmine (I love the heart now, by the way), it is slightly sweet, and the smoke, I mean, come on. This is not a smokey scent per se. I never had the chance to try the first two formulations where the smoke (as well as the oakmoss) are said to be way more pronounced. But this... no traditional concept of über-masculinity present here, to my nose.

Later on, Aventus taught me another important lesson: Batch variations exist, and the differences are noticeable, at least in this case. I bought a 100ml backup of this in April with a coupon, and of course, it was a different batch. And what can I say, it’s different. The top seems to last longer and, above all, fades more gradually into the heart with my second bottle, which is something I appreciate a lot. Also, this bottle has less vanilla, which also comes in handy.

Some last words on the presentation. I’m not fond of Creed’s present bottle design, but thankfully this one is at least okay and not a total pain in the eyes like that tacky golden Millesime Imperial bottle. Still, for this kind of money, leaving personal design preferences aside, I think you could at least expect a cap that fits (it clicks and clacks around like crazy) and is not made of super lightweight, cheapo plastic. The sprayer, while also rumored to be prone to failure, is something I’m fond of, though. It puts out a lot of juice (the infamous “firehose”), so you can move while spraying and, for example, cover your chest from left to right, albeit maybe not all the way. Older Creed sprayers are said to have been fabulous in this regard.

All in all, this scent was the gateway drug for me, and I’m glad it was.

9.1
06th July, 2020
Smells like a high quality shaving cream to me. I didn't understand the hype when I first smelled it several years ago and now having sampled it again it is definitely not for me.

There is nothing unpleasant about it and it is definitely Creed quality but it's boring and not something I would like to smell of.
25th March, 2020
The smokey batch is the one which I found more interesting and which turned more heads and noses, sometimes the odd sneeze from the pepper (I get that, the odd time I want to sneeze too) but face it if I wanted a fruity Hawaiian punch I would have dawned a Tommy Bahama island shirt, a straw hat and hung a pineapple necklace around my neck. In my humble opinion the pepper rules the day.
29th February, 2020
The Emperor (or "The King", rather) Has No Clothes. The hype around Aventus is unlike anything else in the fragrance community. People are so sure this is the perfect juice they're buying up different batch variations, because who can survive with just ONE bottle of Aventus?

The reality? It's ok. Nothing special to my nose. Maybe its formula was novel in 2010, but now that there's a host of imitators out there, it feels practically generic. The opening starts with a blast of fruit. Pineapple, blackcurrant and bergamot. Then within minutes, the fruity notes give way to woods and musk underneath. I also think that Creed has some common DNA between it's fresher fragrances, the drydown of this reminds me of the drydown of SMW which reminds me of the drydown of MI.

Sadly, the Emperor also has some poor performance. I sprayed myself 5 times and I'm getting very little projection, outside of that initial 5 minute fruit blast. It sticks on clothes a bit but dies pretty quickly on bare skin. Doesn't live up to the hype. But also, what could?
28th January, 2020

Add your review of Aventus

Shop for Aventus products online

Shop for Aventus at online perfumeries

Search on eBay