Portrait of a Lady (2010)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Portrait of a Lady information

Year of Launch2010

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerDominique Ropion
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Portrait of a Lady

Portrait of a Lady is a feminine perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Ropion

Reviews of Portrait of a Lady

The best rose fragrance. Buy this as an anniversary gift and you'll have a happy wife x
18th June, 2021
flaneuse Show all reviews
I suspected this wouldn't be for me, but I was surprised to find, behind all the hype, that it wasn't more distinctive. (I'd been away from the fragrance world for about eight years, and Portrait of a Lady is the perfume I've seen mentioned most often in recent fashion articles.) Overwhelmingly, it recalled the generic floral-alcohol scent of 'mum perfume' in the 80s and 90s; perhaps a bit stronger, and probably more complex if you're into florals, which I'm generally not. It's also the type of floral that sets off some mild allergy for me, a scent that means slight stinging of the eyes & nose.

So if this is redolent of perfumes worn 25-40 years ago by middle-class British women who are now in their sixties to eighties, on one level it weirds me out that younger millenials/older Gen Z love it - but then it won't necessarily smell to them like *their* mums. Besides, millenials and Z seem to be closer to their families than my lot was, so maybe smelling like mum's or grandma's perfume is more welcome to them. And, on the evidence of this, fragrance fashions may go in cycles, just like clothing and kids' names.
06th June, 2021 (last edited: 09th June, 2021)
Was really looking forward to trying this one. And... Really disappointed. Don't get it twisted, it is a nice perfume. A very eastern musk heavy scent. Basically go to any Islamic bookstore and grab a bottle of the same thing for a fiver.
22nd May, 2021
Everything about France and Paris is magical... just like Frederic Malle.

This fragrance is all about luxury, magic and quality.

Rose, incense, raspberry and patchouli. A little bit of musk. Cinnamon and cloves are very quiet in the the background. I believe that the scent is creamy from sandalwood.
Raspberry makes it unique compared to other perfumes with rose note... it's a note that knocked me off my feet.

Do not blind buy this! It's a unisex fragrance, but I can understand why someone consider it as a feminine.

Performance is just amazing. Longevity and sillage are insane with 6 sprays. Over 8 hours with a strong aura. Skin scent for another 12 hours. Beast mode for fall and winter.

I will definitely always have this gem in my collection, it is just perfect. It's my signature.

it's a 10+, Mr. Dominique - thank you!
01st February, 2021
White skin under a dark red velvet corset. A knife hidden near a pumping heart. Blood rushing in her ears. By no means will she spare them. Her mind sharp as the knife , her intentions dark but just ..... a lady who stands up for herself. No galantuomo needed. She is free and upright , no one will bend her

A fragrance for a woman deciding her own destiny. Powerful , dark, refined , noble. Red rose , earthy tones and a glimpse of humour when a small raspberry allows a sneak peek on who she is when she is in a good mood.
She can kill or caress ... up to you
13th September, 2020
ION-ONE Show all reviews
Opening blast is a volumtuous rich rose with a hint of sandalwood. The smell is very high-end and I've been surounded with this kind of scent cloud in posh areas of London with a rich Middle Eastern clientele.

The rose becomes jammy and fruity (raspberry/cranberry) and then quite soapy. There is also a green element.

This is clearly the mother of any number of illegitimate fruittychoulli scents. It brought Lancome LA vie est belle to my mind and (surprise suprise) it's the same nose.

Unlike many males on BN I don't find POAL easy for a man to pull off, it's decidedly feminine in scent and theme and has inspired too many other common feminines. It does have the quality rose smell of so many expensive rose-Oud combos and perhaps that is why many males feel comfortable with it. For me there is no counterpoint to the dominant rose to bring it back to a unisex center-ground.

Performance is really good which may make one feel a little self conscious if not 100% comfortable with the theme.
Overall 80/100 as a feminine perfume but not necessarily safe for to use as a unisex. A viable male alternative might be Diptyque Oud Palaou
02nd October, 2019