A*Men Pure Havane (2011)

HouseThierry Mugler
PerfumerJacques Huclier
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About A*Men Pure Havane

A*Men Pure Havane is a masculine fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Huclier

A*Men Pure Havane fragrance notes

Reviews of A*Men Pure Havane

Note: Virtually the same review as the one I left for Pure Malt.

I have been on a bit of a Mugler kick recently since I picked up some sample bottles of A*Men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane and Pure Tonka (I know, late to the party). I wrote all of these fragrances off on the basis that I didn't like A*Men when I first smelled it.

I'll be the first to hold up my hands and say I was wrong.

Of the samples listed above I bought full bottles of Pure Malt and Pure Havane and to be quite honest, I struggle to choose between the two.

Pure Havane delivers from the very first spray. It opens with a giant blast of sweet(cherry and honey?) vanilla pipe tobacco that is warming and comforting. Like someone lit a pipe in the same room. It has the A*Men DNA in there but where Pure Malt goes oriental this stays a little woody and dry on me before the vanilla hits. I'm not massive into vanilla, as in Tobacco Vanille, I find it very cloying, however I find Pure Havane to be exceptionally wearable and it almost has a dry, leafy, resinous/balmy finish to it. For me, the longevity of Pure Havane is better than Pure Malt, but only just.

Similarly to Pure Malt, I cant wrap my head around the price point for this fragrance. Fragrances this good shouldn't be this cheap. In the space of a month I've bought a bottle and a backup and at the price, you could do worse than picking up a bottle of Pure Malt along with it as a partner fragrance.
23rd July, 2020
What a scent. Takes me back in time, to the smell of cognac infused tobacco leaf.

Brown Cuervo rum. Barrel flavor. Faint cocoa, like the one you get from tiramisu.

So reminiscent of nights out filled with liquor and tobacco, just indulging.

15th December, 2019
It's 5:30 pm, you spray this on. The wind outside whistles as the crisp fall air sends leaves dancing in the midst of the auburn evening sunset. You put on your favorite Ralph Lauren button up and polo sweater over it with a nice pair of shoes. You throw on a hat and some knit gloves and go out on a date from a fancy dinner to the little fair out in town...all of them are fair game. You catch a movie and take a nice stroll in the city and through the park under the stars and moonlight. Then, you find yourself next to her near the fireplace outside or in the house. Cozy and comfortable. Elegant yet free of care. Exciting yet calming. Versatile, not contradicting. That is what this fragrance is. Long lasting and strong. Honey, tobacco, milky vanilla
06th September, 2019
This is a great flanker to the original, and nice gourmand/oriental if you like that sort of thing.

I'm only calling this a gourmand in the sense of the cherry in this which has been discussed here at length ad infinitum. It starts off sickeningly sweet with a nice tobacco note that is nearly choked out by a heavy cherry note, not too unlike the initial cherry-like agarwood note in YSL's M7 (2002). After a bit, that heavy cherry notes starts to lighten up, and then you're left with -- as accurately described by others -- cherry pipe tobacco. If you've never gone into a tobacconist's shop and lifted the heavy glass lids of the jars that they keep loose pipe tobacco in and taken a big whiff, you're missing out. Pipe tobacco is a heavenly scent and cherry pipe tobacco is a longtime-favorite of pipe smokers. After about an hour, Pure Havane settles down to a smooth cherry tobacco over a creamy, vanilla base.

It's decent for what it is. Because it's so synthetic, it really seems to be something geared to the younger crowd. As a guy in my forties, this isn't something I can rock (unless I wanted to be that old creeper who goes to the bars and drunkenly dances by himself, hitting on all of the young ladies). I'm giving this a thumbs up, because it does a great -- although very synthetic -- job of mimicking cherry pipe tobacco, but unless you're able to pull the "youthful" thing off, take a pass on this.
24th June, 2019 (last edited: 26th June, 2019)
I used to own this a while ago. When I first bought it, I thought it was a great flanker to the original A*Men. I own the original A*Men, and Pure Malt. I was ready to give this one higher marks than Pure Malt after testing it a little bit. One day though, all of that changed. It went from one of the best designers I had to one of the strongest, most annoying, couldn't-wait-to-scrub-it-off-my-skin scents I owned.

Scent: It opens up with a huge blast of tobacco. It's not in the note breakdown on here, but I smelled cherry. Quite a bit. Looking back on all of the times I've worn it, almost positive it's the tobacco that was the culprit there. For some reason, and I noticed this like last year, me and tobacco fragrances (especially if they're "loud") typically have a hard time getting along. Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford is pretty close to that mark, but the only thing that saved it for me was the Vanilla. In this one, there's nothing saving it. It was a disaster in every sense of the word. I tried giving the dry down a chance but that tobacco had ruined it for me. I wound up giving it to my cousin as a gift.
Rating: 3/10

Projection: This thing was strong on me. Too strong. It was on par with the original A*Men (10+ hours). I have had to scrub it off on multiple occasions so I could wear something else. As far as performance, this thing delivered in this category.
Rating: 10/10

Versatility: Winter and Fall scent definitely. If I wore this in the Summer, I'd get sick. I already know how that story ends and it's not good. It can be used on a night out with friends or a date. I have found, however, that most women I've went out with did not like Pure Havane. I went very light on sprays too because I know how it performs, but sadly, that didn't help. Most women that I've met and dated, prefer the fresh stuff (Acqua di Gio (original or flanker), Bleu de Chanel, Sauvage, etc.). I wouldn't say this is a good one to wear to class unless you sit in the back or something (even though that might not help because this thing projects). In my opinion, it's not a good work scent either. Most places are very particular about not offending people with perfumes so that disqualifies Pure Havane automatically.
Rating: 5/10

Overall Rating: 6/10. It's alright. It's different than your typical designer fragrance so it has some uniqueness to it. It performs and that's always a plus. You want your scents to last. Overall, Pure Havane is alright. I would recommend other tobacco scents over this one honestly.
03rd January, 2019
The best from the A*Men collection. Period.

Edit, (more than 1 year later): One of the best designer fragrances ever created.
16th November, 2018 (last edited: 23rd December, 2019)

Add your review of A*Men Pure Havane