Baiser Volé (2011)

Year of Launch2011

HouseCartier
PerfumerMathilde Laurent

About Baiser Volé

Baiser Volé is a feminine perfume by Cartier. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Mathilde Laurent

Baiser Volé fragrance notes

Reviews of Baiser Volé

One quality that seems undervalued these days, in modern perfumery, is sheer prettiness. Even the most mainstream houses' pillar perfumes are (largely) selling depth, darkness, mystery, profundity, and, of course, sex, even when the perfume inside actually smells like a cupcake or vanilla ice cream. Who wants pretty when they can have sexy?

Well, I do. Sexiness--which is such an ineffable quality-- comes in all kinds of packages. I find individuality and confidence much sexier than copycat, smoky eye and lingerie, stereotypical male-gaze sanctioned "sexy," so sometimes tidy grooming and an aura of cleanliness has its own kind of sex appeal. That's what I find in Baiser Vole, which smells like an updated version of Anais Anais--a perfume that made virginal florals sexy.

Cartier's marketing materials tell you that Baiser Vole takes you on a journey through a lily flower, from the pistils through the greens the roots. I think they have the journey backwards, and they also don't mention of its most interesting qualities--its retro-cosmetic, dressing-table scents, of cold cream and powder, and their lovely alchemical marriage, with the sensual lily. It's like a modernesque update of Anais Anais, the , pervesely sexy virginal floral.

Baiser Vole opens green, green, green, and more green, with a verdant fresh-cut grass note, that is probably as much galbanum as IFRA will let mainstream perfumes contain. There's an icy-sharp, pointed edge to the green, that I think smells like muguet. Then comes a smooth, soft, but equally frosty musk that smells like old fashioned cosmetic creams, almost like Noxema, less its piercing aromatics. This opening settles in as your skin warms it, the greens and cold cream and muguet blending to a single chord unto itself. Then, something saline and nearly savory joins in, hinting at the next stage of the perfume, as the scent of warmer and spicier lilies makes its entrace.

The Big Lily note is loud and proud, composed of raucous stargazer, florid casablanca, and spicy tiger lilies. It starts off on the shy side, as an adjunct to the creamy cosmetic scent, and then the spicy edge of the lilies becomes stronger, until it finally seems to fully bloom. If this perfume is a journey, it takes you from the ground up, makes a detour stop at the dresser, and finally travels through stems to the sunny florals. Even at the heart stage, when the lilies are at their strongest, the creamy musk hangs on. I love every stage of this perfume, but I especially enjoy its peak, when the musk slips behind the lilies, leaving a trail of creamy lilies. It's a beautiful expression of spring green oerfumery, a joining together of warm and cold, artifice and nature, with no ambition to be anything other than absolutely charming. It's pretty without being in the least bit vapid.

There's a hint of something humid that eventually emerges, that feels right at home with the touch of exotic tiger lily spice. It's not edgy, nor is it challenging, and to some noses, it might be a bit girlish or juvenile, to some noses, but I like its youthful associations. Like Anais Anais, with its spicy carnation, Baiser Vole is deceptively warmhearted. It never crosses over into Ice Queen territory (I love the ice queens, but this isn't that).

The saline quality of the lilies, and the creaminess of the musk, come together to smell kind of like freshly showered skin. It helps the perfume feel like it belongs to the body, especially once the lilies begin to recede. The musk turns a little sharp at this phase, but I don't mind. This perfume isn't trying too hard to make you love it. It's a little like being sassed by a cute teenager, and this lady loves a witty retort.

The lilies eventually sink into the cold cream, and powdered notes begin to emerge, unveiling the final stage of the perfume. The drydown still has some fresh lily notes, but it's mostly back to the Noxemaesque musk, which turns more aggresively aromatic as the lilies fade. It reminds me very much of a musk that Keiko Mecheri likes to use in some of her less conventional florals, like Fleur d'Osmanthus, and I think she also uses it in her Patchoulissime. It has a little bitterness, which I find pleasing, like an off note in a melody that makes a final major chord sound like a resolution. That little bitter edge eventually loses its bite, but the perfume never has a even a hint of sweetness. However, powdery notes in the ending phase are comforting. They smell like luxury, and bedtime--a soft but emphatic ending, and pretty down to the last moments.

Baiser Vole remains crisp and fresh throughout its entire lifespan, which lasts for a solid eight hours and probably more (I usually layer on a second perfume sometime in the afternoon or early evening, so I rarely smell the tail end of anything I put on early in the day). It's a brisk daytime perfume, but I think lilies can be dressy enough for a warm evening. If you like green florals, it's a must-try. Even if you have some of the other great lily perfumes (Grand Amour, Donna Karan Gold, Un Lys, Lys Fume, and of course Anais Anais) in your collection, Baiser Vole stands out as a distinctive expression of the flower. Its modern profile, and its retro associations, have a cool glamour that stands out from the sweet, sticky, desperate offerings from most of the major perfume houses. Every aspect of it is pretty, but its construction and character are also intelligent, when most of the competition is vapid.

I also want to point out that the packaging is marvelous. It looks like an antique oval cigarette lighter, with a chrome Art Deco top, and hefty glass, like the lighters that vintage movie actresses--Jean Harlow, Barbara Stanwick, or Lauren Bacall--use both hands to pick up and strike. the perfume itself is tinted a pale but warm-hued pink that matches the perfume's springtime palette. I appreciate this degree of detail, because these days, it seems like all the great perfume houses are changing their presentation to boring uniform shapes. Presentation doesn't affect the character of the perfume inside, but it does enhance the experience of wearing it, and I love sculptural bottles. I'll keep this one long after the perfume is gone--if I ever actually finish it. Cartier offers an usually wide range of sizes for a modern perfume house, and I appreciate their not forcing me to buy 200 mls, or more, of perfume that I can't possibly finish, given the size of my collection, unless I live for at least another century, and stop buying perfume--and the chances of either happening are slim to none.
10th July, 2020
My second year in high school I got a job working at a high-end flower shop in one of our local malls. It was established and run by two business partners from NYC. They were both impossibly savvy and chic, and I wanted to work for them as soon as I met them. I was there until I graduated, I loved the job so much. Baiser Volé smells exactly like that flower shop—icy, sharp, and green, underlain with the Easter ham/warm clove scent of Star Gazer lilies, which formed the backbone of the shop's signature flower arrangements. It’s an impressively unadulterated floral—no patchouli, no amber, no animalics, probably not even any galbanum. Nothing to funk it up. And yet it's both super strong and complex, with a very strange fresh cream and wet cardboard dry down. Don’t let the initial watery aspect fool you. This stuff lasts forever.
15th December, 2019 (last edited: 17th February, 2020)
Not bad...i don't see any problem with a man wearing this...I'm enjoying how this smells on me... Opens with a kind of citrusy green mix...quickly dives into a pile of lilys and pretty much stays there...reminds me of the smell of the Orthodox church from my youth at Easter...smells very lily realistic...nice and fresh for a summer eve...
21st October, 2019
The opening is a soapy fruity floral, but the dry down is flowers and vanilla, still with soap. Not super interesting. If you’re familiar with Guerlain’s Angelique Noire, it’s similar, but lighter. Angelique Noire turned into a clean body milk. Not bad, then.

Edit: I love the powdery feel it has in the end of its life on my skin. Best base note.
06th November, 2018 (last edited: 01st May, 2020)
Top Notes: Lily, Citruses.

Heart Notes: Lily.

Base Notes: Lily, Green Notes.

I wanted to explore more white florals as of late, especially lily-centric white florals. I was keen to try Lutens Un Lys, but given Un Lys's $300 price point for a 75ml bell jar, I decided to begin my journey elsewhere, specifically with Cartier Baiser Volé and Guerlain Lys Soleia. This review is specifically for BV, but I do compare and contrast the two fragrances to point up how their differ from one another in the white floral genre.

On the whole, BV smells exactly like its notes pyramid. I detect more citruses in the top notes than I do lily, but the lily comes through more in the heart and the base notes where it becomes creamy and slightly sweet. BV is also quite fresh and green. It is the sort of fragrance that one could easily to one's office, to school, to church, to a nice luncheon. It could easily be worn day or night. My guess is that it wears better in the Spring and Summer, but I see no reason why it could not be worn year round.

BV is nice enough. I want to test it out of doors soon to see how it develops in the heat and humidity before I pass final judgment on it, but at the moment, it is not something I would ever repurchase unless subsequent wearings impress me more than the first two wearings. I absolutely love the bottle, though! It is difficult to describe, but the bottle feels rather heavy and quite posh in my hand, and the overall design has a fine aesthetic quality that I almost never find in other contemporary fragrances. It is difficult to spray, but I am not sure if that may be a flaw in the atomiser on my bottle or not.

I had roughly four hours longevity from it last evening. By that time it was fading pretty quickly, but my skin was quite cool. Perhaps I would have greater longevity if my skin were warmer. Anyway, at that point I applied the LS over it. (The first time I have ever layered fragrances.) I do not know if the layering of the two was responsible or not, but I could still smell the LS this morning whence I awoke.

Whilst I like BV well enough, I am much more enamoured of LS, but this does not surprise me because Guerlain rarely disappoints me. Honestly, some may mistake BV for an air freshener whilst others may mistake LS for a B&BW body spray except that LS smells like a higher quality fragrance, better ingredients and better blended. The ylang-ylang in it is delicious--sweet but not at all cloying. It is so well blended that I cannot disentangle the ylang-ylang and the lily notes. It is as though they are two sides of the same coin. It is definitely a lovely fragrance for the Spring and Summer. I think it would work the rest of the year as well. It does not smell the same as Terracotta Voile dé Été, but it is in the same "style" if that makes sense. Both have a light sweetness and warmth about them and project mildly in wafts. I like the bottle, too.

It has now been twelve hours since I applied LS over BV, and I can still smell LS on my skin albeit faintly. I did not expect performance as good as this, so I am pleasantly surprised. My white floral lily-centric fragrance journey will not end with BV or LS, but they have given me a great start. If you wish to explore lily-centric fragrances, and if enjoy a fresh, green fragrances, one that is crisp and cool as opposed to warm and sweetish, then BV is a good place to start. If you think you would enjoy a slightly more complex and sweeter fragrance, one warm and more sensual, then LS is a good place to start.

On the whole, BV mainly rates a basic thumbs up for delivering what it promises to deliver. LS gets a more enthusiastic thumbs up for not only delivering what it promises to deliver but also for being beautifully blended, warm, and sensual. At the end of the day, both have a place in one's wardrobe if one wishes diversity in her lily-centric fragrance section.
03rd April, 2017
A perfectly reasonable mainstream Floral/Citrus...Nowhere near as interesting as Mathilde Laurent's work on the early Guerlain Aqua Allegorias. Apparently the Lily is a notoriously difficult note to work with, and must be MIMICKED rather than represented straightforwardly. In comparison with the way grapefruit (another such difficult note) was represented in her Pamplelune for Guerlain this is wanting for creativity. Still, a perfectly fine alternative to the thousands of disgusting fruity florals on the mass market, which invariably smell of the disinfecting cakes one finds in men's urinals.
20th February, 2017

Add your review of Baiser Volé

Shop for Baiser Volé products online

Shop for Baiser Volé at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Baiser Volé

There are no member images of Baiser Volé yet. Why not be the first?